Phoenix open fans

D

Deleted member 1147

Why spend money to go to an event and chuck insults at a player working flat out to put together a good round and entertain? What's the point of shouting "shank"? Is it necessary. Does the idiot get some satisfaction. I get it's a one off event and beers flows. Just doesn't need to turn ugly or stupid
Sorry, I thought you were defending it and criticising those who were talking against them.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why spend money to go to an event and chuck insults at a player working flat out to put together a good round and entertain? What's the point of shouting "shank"? Is it necessary. Does the idiot get some satisfaction. I get it's a one off event and beers flows. Just doesn't need to turn ugly or stupid
Because that never happens at other sporting events

Wolf

Visit site
Any different to a football match played under the same scenario every week..

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This event would be relatively uninteresting without the novelty of the atmosphere on the 16th.

With more interest and greater attendance numbers comes more sponsorship. With more sponsorship there is more prize money.

The players benefit from the novelty of the 16th, I’m sure they can take it.

To be frank, a non-specific, generic shank it is hardly offensive. PGA Tour players should be able to handle that no bother. If they were shouting personal insults that would be different.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think you have to take the rough with the smooth personally.

I do think this is a one off event and therefore I’m less inclined to think that the standards of all live speccies are in decline.

I agree that urging a player to shank one is a bit off but that will happen when you pile a load of shandy drinking yanks with weak beer.

However if Rahm or any other player stiffed one straight in the hole, then the roar of delight from the stands would probably be a career highlight for the majority of participating players.

You may be right...

https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/...c-scottsdale-in-waste-management-phoenix-open

D

Deleted member 16999

Patrick, try and get a chance to see the crowd behaviour towards Brandon Grace on the 16th yesterday.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be wasting their time with me. Not sure I could shank on demand?

If I could, taking out a few of the crowd would be a massive bonus

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a unique set up and players know the score. Treat it as the fun experience it is supposed to be. It's great theatre.
Exactly, I thought this was the whole point of it. You can't have a set up like that where people are allowed to chant and cheer but then try and restrict what they say, that would defeat the purpose. As long as it's not racist abuse or whatever, let them crack on.

sunshine

Visit site
just switched on the highlights and Jon Rahm on the short stadium hole and all i can hear as he stands over the ball is "Shank it" being shouted.... pretty pathetic

Pathetic - yes.

But given the context it barely constitutes heckling / abuse. Rahm was probably grateful if "shank it" was the worst he got from a drunk baying mob of morons. Just think what Jon Terry and Ashley Cole had shouted at them every week for a decade!

It's tolerated for 1 week on 1 hole a year.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Patrick, try and get a chance to see the crowd behaviour towards Brandon Grace on the 16th yesterday.

i taped the highlights then fast forwarded to that, they may have missed or edited out most of it as it was literally a couple of mins at most, just got booing.