Phobias?

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Heights -surely you mean depths. Looking up isn't scarey, is it? :D

I don't have a fear of water, but being over deep water. That's being scared of heights proper. Imagine falling off a cliff - a few seconds of fear, then SPLAT. Simples

But falling off a boat miles from land. Once you run out of steam to keep yourself afloat, then it's a long, long, slow drop down miles down until your lungs explode.

Or swimming out of my depth brings on a panic attack. I can swim for about a dozen lengths non stop in SWMBO's gym - it's only 4'deep. But put me in a normal pool and I'm all a gibber after 1 length.

But they are legitimate fears, not phobias.

FROGS now. Nasty little bleeders. With them eyes staring at you, and they can't move nice and smoothly. It's nothing, and then woosh, they're all over you.

*shudders*

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
My phobia is injections ..... can't stand having them or even watching someone having one.

It's even been known for me to faint like a big girlie after an injection :eek:

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why do so many hate spiders?

Also, is it only big ones, or do little ones count too? If so, how big is scary?

I certainly haven't got arachnophobia, and I'll happily pick up anything up to around an inch for leg-span. But the other night my g/f called me into the bedroom to rescue her from a spider! The dog had fled as well and was cowering in the toilet. I arrived with a glass, ready to catch the tiddler. G/f, who was stood on the bed, pointed to it on the floor. When I got near the spider and it moved it even made me shriek and jump backwards. Those big house-spiders, that move fast...they do freak me out a little. (When I dropped the glass over it the spider's legs were wider than the rim of the glass...easily 4 inches across bggest I've ever seen!!)

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No phobias - but I can't physically hold a wooden lolly pop stick (or similar) they make every hair on my body stand on end (and that’s a lot) - If I get a lolly I unwrap it from the top and hold the wrapper, when I get near the stick I just bin it.

Even the thought makes me cringe.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why have a phobia about flying?
If owt goes wrong up there, you've no need to worry about anything. How many survivors of a 30,000 ft accident?

How many spiders in the Uk can cause you harm?

Why hasn't anyone got a phobia about jelly fish?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a real problem with needles which is ironic as I have to take blood sugar counts twice a day. I have fainted having blood tests like a wimp (mid you I went down like an Italian defender) but strangely when I was in hospital for 3 1/2weeks and having blood taken every morning I didn't have a problem. I'm not sure if that was the morphine from overnight still in the system or the phlebotomists being professional blood catchers knew what they were doing mor ethan a GP nurse.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, I'm the first to mention worms then? Horrible, horrible things. Means I can't dig the garden though (which is a plus :D :D) But genuine - one spadeful, one worm, & I'm off. Usually to rescue HID from a spider...

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why have a phobia about flying?
If owt goes wrong up there, you've no need to worry about anything. How many survivors of a 30,000 ft accident?

How many spiders in the Uk can cause you harm?

Why hasn't anyone got a phobia about jelly fish?

because you have to go to the jellyfish, spiders come to you?

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can't physically hold a wooden lolly pop stick (or similar) they make every hair on my body stand on end.
How bizarre. I guess you've never put five lollipop sticks together to make a flying toy then, like kids used to 20 or 30 years ago.

Only slightly odd thing that makes me a bit twitchy is the thought of opening a car door and the top corner of the door hitting me in the eye. Can't think of opening a car door without that happening, and it makes me cringe a bit. Don't get the twitch when I *actually* open a car door...it's only when I'm imagining it. Like I am now! Wuhr!

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No phobias - but I can't physically hold a wooden lolly pop stick (or similar) they make every hair on my body stand on end (and that’s a lot) - If I get a lolly I unwrap it from the top and hold the wrapper, when I get near the stick I just bin it.

Even the thought makes me cringe.
I know exactly where you're coming from.
I didn't have an ice lolly for years. I'm getting better since my son was born, not much mind!

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed how seriously big the spiders are this year? What have they been eating? Children?
I'm no fan of spiders, and can't say I'd noticed mant biggies.

Until last night, I help my Dad move the fireplace and my word, toe to toe the beast mush have been five inches, body was probably just short of 2".