Phil Mickelson - Open the clubface

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Just been watching Phil Mickelson's "Secrets of the Short Game" DVD.

In one chip shot he said: open the club face. Now turn your stance so the the clubface is square. Regrip. Now sing as before, but with the arms still acting towards the target.

Is this not the same as a "normal" shot with the clubface square? The only thing that has changed is the open stance, yet because he's advising to swing on the same path as before (towards the target), in effect the club is making the exact same movement (he also specially advises to avoid cutting across the ball).

Have I missed something?

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I could be wrong but I think what he is saying is don't swing around the body any more. On a regular shot you swing along the target line and around your body but with the open stance you have to resist swinging around your body to keep the club on line.

Not sure if I have explained it well even if I am right so if someone else would like to have a go...... :D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I 've been watching his clips on Utube and its "hinge and hold" he calls it. You break the wrist very early and swing back in pretty much a straight line, and then, hit the ball without letting the clubface release through the shot and overtake the grip. It works pretty well

Chris

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Okay - so by standing in an open stance the angle of the shaft (and therefore club face) has changed. I still don't quite understand how that works, or how that is different to having the ball further back or forward in the stance. I guess there is some subtle difference.

Many thanks.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Bobs makes a fair point though. I have that DVD and watched it several times over the last few weeks but I have not moved onto the second disc yet. I have just worked on the basic chip/pitch shot until I get the technique down and the yardages right before moving onto the fancier stuff.

MikeB

Club Champion
Visit site
Bobs makes a fair point though. I have that DVD and watched it several times over the last few weeks but I have not moved onto the second disc yet. I have just worked on the basic chip/pitch shot until I get the technique down and the yardages right before moving onto the fancier stuff.

Me too, I have been using the basic chip - hinge & hold on the course & sometimes trying the more advanced bits on the practice area.