PGA Euro Pro Tour

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Indeed. Mikael Lundberg, Richard Mansell, Marco Penge, Alfie Plant and Todd Clements are the top 5 that earn Challenge Tour cards.

I assume Todd Clements already has one from his Challenge tour finish this year (he just missed out on qualifying for their tour champs this week), wonder if his goes to the next one down?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I assume Todd Clements already has one from his Challenge tour finish this year (he just missed out on qualifying for their tour champs this week), wonder if his goes to the next one down?

Possibly. He's only played 5 events on the Europro this year and won two of them. If it does go down to the next player that's Andrew Wilson who made the cut in the Open earlier this year.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
glad Marco and Alfie got their cards and also that someone who previously won an event this year won the tour champs.

Really don’t agree with the fact, the prize fund for the tour champs alone is enough to secure a challenge tour card

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Day 3, and the final day, of the Race to Desert Springs. The day dawned without a cloud, and by 9am it was already 27*, forecast to make 30*. However, there was a strong, steady breeze blowing. We picked up a group on the first tee, Dan Brown(Romanby), who we followed yesterday. Nick Poppleton(Wath GC, near Rotherham), Alasdair Plumb(The Oxfordshire).

All 3 guys had obviously got the measure of the course, and were very steady all the way round. No crashes but the odd scrape and the odd fastest lap. It was also a day when the difference between us amateurs and the pros really stood out. The wind was brutal at times, yet all they did was club up and continue, in the main, to hit greens. Those that missed didn't miss by much and boy could they chip.

Dan Brown has, by his own admission, not had the best of seasons. Previously he did qualify for the Challenge Tour but the cost and a couple of dodgy months saw him slip back. Again, it was a day of birdies and bogies for Dan. And another 71 when, at one point like yesterday, it looked like a 68 or 67. He finished on 214, 2 under. He wasn't too chuffed with the overall score and tee to green he'd hit the ball really well. A couple of car crashes yesterday and a few 3 putts over the 2 days I followed him. 6 shots better was easily in there. And the rest of his game was just that little bit better then those around him.

Nick Poppleton was another great ball striker, and if he went after it you got a glimpse of what a full out shot from these guys looked like. 73, 70, 72 over the 3 days. It didn't look like a 72 was in there at times but the birdie on 16 and the eagle 2 on 17 really made the card look good. He drove pin high on 17, halfway up the green on the fringe, and rolled in a putt from about 10 feet.

Alasdair shot 72, 71, 77. Today saw one of those rounds that promised much but always shaved the hole. A referee struggling to make a simple decision on the par 5 13th, requiring the senior ref, just didn't help his round. Nearest point of relief(lateral hazard), no nearer the hole. That was identified no problem at all but taking a full club length meant the 2nd tee being nearer(curve of the red line). Doh, half a club length, or even dropped near that nearest point of relief wouldn't have seen the ball nearer. Thankfully obvious to the senior ref but Alasdair was a little rattled. And then there was the 17th, a drivable par 4. Alasdair, like Nick, went for it but found a horrendous lie suspended in a bush. There was not a good drop near by, a hack out of the bush followed and a double went on the card.

A brief rest after following the guys in - a burger and a beer, saw us back out to watch the last 3 groups in. And onto the play-off. It could have gone either way. Both had reasonable chances on the first play-off hole, both carding a 5 when a 4 looked easier. The second play-off hole looked like it would go to Allan but Lundberg squeezed a half out of it. The 3rd play-off hole looked like it was going to Allan, 15 feet away after 2 whilst Lundberg was in a green side bunker. Lundberg splashed out to 18", and Allan ran his first putt 5 feet past, then missed the return.

Just one thing on Lundberg's ball striking with his irons. There was that sharp, crisp click when he made contact. It was very noticeable as it was a rare thing to hear from the others over the 3 days. He was a step above.

And Desert Springs; a great lay out, and one I've always enjoyed. But its not a blaster's course. There isn't much rough on most holes, 8 feet, before you're in desert scrub. Its not too long a course, just keep it on the straight and narrow. Put it in the right places off the tee for the right angle into the greens and there's a score to be had, even on a very breezy day like today. Hope to see the fairways in better condition though.

Last edited:

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 2020 schedule was announced earlier today:

https://europro.bluegolf.com/bluego...1c6-2ade-49ea-a3a9-e2a6949a0a1f&display=champ

Disappointed that Dudsbury isnt in the calendar this year. Frilford Heath is not included either which is a surprise as the tour has visited there for a number of years.

May take a trip to Harleyford, Mannings Heath and / or Studley Wood. Mannings Heath looks a cracking course with some lovely holes from what i've seen on the highlights packages on You Tube.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a Europro event at Leven Links in September, Leven was a 6 time final qualifying course for The Open so it's good to see it getting an event on it like this and will be interesting to see how the guys score on it.

D

Deleted member 17920

We have a Europro event at Leven Links in September, Leven was a 6 time final qualifying course for The Open so it's good to see it getting an event on it like this and will be interesting to see how the guys score on it.
It’s great to see an event back at Leven.

Loved the round I played there a few years ago.

The 18th could be a nice card wrecker for those boys. Great finishing hole.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have a Euro Pro tour event at our club this year, Clandeboye. Looking forward to it! They are coming in August and hope the weather is good.

Jonny Caldwell was on the Euro Pro tour last year and he is from Clandeboye. But he got his European tour card at Q school so i doubt he will be playing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
See Caversham Heath has gone from the schedule this year. I know they are looking to change the layout so perhaps the work is still going on. Or maybe the Reading club having taken it over simply don't want it

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
See Caversham Heath has gone from the schedule this year. I know they are looking to change the layout so perhaps the work is still going on. Or maybe the Reading club having taken it over simply don't want it
Played there last Thursday and they are making large changes to the first second and 18th. With a new clubhouse coming to it simply isn’t the time.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was pretty good considering the weather we’ve had.

From what the old boy in the shop was saying

The 1st will go from near the clubhouse up the hill towards the old pitching green (the new bunkers etc have all be put in).

The 2nd will then be a par 3 to the existing 1st green

18 (which is currently a great hole) will be about 30 yds shorter.

Not sure which hole they will be losing

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Euro Pros coming to Clandeboye GC (,playing the Dufferin Championship course), my home club on 18th - 20th Aug), got tickets for the Friday final day, will be interesting seeing how they tackle my perceived hardest holes and might learn something. Jonny Caldwell hosting and playing, might be worth a follow should he be playing well.
Nick Dougherty over this week doing some tips too so seems to be set for a decent week