Petty and childish reaction?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds an extreme over reaction to me. A shout of fore may have helped but sounds like the guy would still have kicked off. Recently I had a couple of occasions when something similar happened. Our 13th tee is to the right of a long Par 3 and the panic-struck shouts of "fore right" from the 12th are often heard! Taking a tee shot on 13 when a ball landed flush on the tee without any shout from the 12th. I stuck the ball on a tee peg and moved on. In the clubhouse afterwards the guy came up and apologised profusely to us - hats off to him for doing so...better than me smacking the ball back to him. On another occasion I was followed by a group containing a guy who often says "if they hold me up I'll smack a ball over their heads" and similar with numerous expletives between every word. He knows his driving distance and we were putting out on the 2nd when his ball rolled onto the green. Then his drive landed just off the 11th as we were putting out. Both are driveable Par 4's and he knows it - both greens in full view off the tee. He does it to show off and when I approached him on the 12th tee was no doubt expecting me to ooh and aah about his physical prowess. I told him it was rude and dangerous to play when we were in range and his reply "look love (red rag to a bull right there!), I hit a golf ball so (expletive) hard that if it hit you, you wouldn't (expletive) get up again" - nice...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Mistakes happen. A quick shout would have covered it, especially if it's rolling and its a one off.

Everyone knows the appropriate course of action isn't to hit it back, but to write knob on the ball, preferably in green sharpie.

I seriously don't think anyone would be daft enough to do such a thing!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds an extreme over reaction to me. A shout of fore may have helped but sounds like the guy would still have kicked off. Recently I had a couple of occasions when something similar happened. Our 13th tee is to the right of a long Par 3 and the panic-struck shouts of "fore right" from the 12th are often heard! Taking a tee shot on 13 when a ball landed flush on the tee without any shout from the 12th. I stuck the ball on a tee peg and moved on. In the clubhouse afterwards the guy came up and apologised profusely to us - hats off to him for doing so...better than me smacking the ball back to him. On another occasion I was followed by a group containing a guy who often says "if they hold me up I'll smack a ball over their heads" and similar with numerous expletives between every word. He knows his driving distance and we were putting out on the 2nd when his ball rolled onto the green. Then his drive landed just off the 11th as we were putting out. Both are driveable Par 4's and he knows it - both greens in full view off the tee. He does it to show off and when I approached him on the 12th tee was no doubt expecting me to ooh and aah about his physical prowess. I told him it was rude and dangerous to play when we were in range and his reply "look love (red rag to a bull right there!), I hit a golf ball so (expletive) hard that if it hit you, you wouldn't (expletive) get up again" - nice...

Calm down little lady....

*runs away fast*

S

Snelly

Massive over-reaction by the bloke in front in my view. Childish and full of bravado. Totally unnecessary behaviour over a very trivial issue.

From a more general perspective, I think balls being accidentally hit into you from someone behind are one of the things that generally, the GM forum regulars overreact to. I have seen it happen loads of times, hundreds of times even. Ball trundles on to the green on a par 5. Someone times a drive and the wind catches it - lands near the group in front. Happens very regularly but it is very rare that you hear of anyone being hit, never mind maimed. Storm in a teacup in my view and I never bother if balls land near me.

No-one genuinely means to do this and there is rarely if ever any problem. The chances of an accident are tiny in my view and I only get mildly irritated if the thud of the ball landing is during my swing. This is very inconsiderate and I am always mindful of not playing the shot if it landing could coincide with the timing of the swing of anyone in the vicinity.

Cue the predictable response from the resident experts - "incredibly dangerous, my brothers uncle had his eye taken out on the 8th at Felching Hampton GC, you should be banned, I'd smack you if you hit a ball near me" etc etc..

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Massive over-reaction by the bloke in front in my view. Childish and full of bravado. Totally unnecessary behaviour over a very trivial issue.

From a more general perspective, I think balls being accidentally hit into you from someone behind are one of the things that generally, the GM forum regulars overreact to. I have seen it happen loads of times, hundreds of times even. Ball trundles on to the green on a par 5. Someone times a drive and the wind catches it - lands near the group in front. Happens very regularly but it is very rare that you hear of anyone being hit, never mind maimed. Storm in a teacup in my view and I never bother if balls land near me.

No-one genuinely means to do this and there is rarely if ever any problem. The chances of an accident are tiny in my view and I only get mildly irritated if the thud of the ball landing is during my swing. This is very inconsiderate and I am always mindful of not playing the shot if it landing could coincide with the timing of the swing of anyone in the vicinity.

Cue the predictable response from the resident experts - "incredibly dangerous, my brothers uncle had his eye taken out on the 8th at Felching Hampton GC, you should be banned, I'd smack you if you hit a ball near me" etc etc..

I think you have a fair point PLUS there's the other bugbear of slow play. Waiting just in case you hit that 1 in a 100 shot for the group to clear, whilst a group is waiting behind...I can drive our 11th and many a time have stood there waiting for the green to clear. One day it was a stern headwind and I thought no way will I make it, plus the rest of the group had taken their tee shots, the group behind were on the 10th green - so I took my drive and it rolled up to the middle of the green. I did shout and did feel bad but the group in front took it in the right way...

Edit - the guy I had a go at is a serial offender and needed telling - waste of time though it was!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

That is incredibly dangerous il have you know . my brothers uncle had his eye SAVEGLY taken out on the 11TH at FHGC , id smack you if you hit a ball near me , you should be banned u should

:D

On a serious note tho , once maybe twice in a round hitting a ball up behind or close to someone is no big deal , constantly doing it would be a different story tho ..
Sometimes how you are playing that day yourself determines how u handle any given situation on the course
playing well , ahh its ok
playing bad , hit it back ,, kinda thing

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes, fair enough, but there's a big difference between a well struck shot running up to a group in front and one that lands amongst them as in the cases I described.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was playing an open at Brora a couple of years ago and on one of the holes on the front 9. Can't remember which hole it was but its a blind drive and the course was quite backed up, the guys behind us arrived at the tee just as we were leaving so know where we were. got over the dune and was still 50 yards short of our drives when a ball lands right between us and hits one of the group on the back of the leg, so he put the ball on a tee peg. when we are at the next tee, guy storms over "which **** put my ball on a tee"

so the guys who had done it said "must have been the same **** who just drove the ball straight at us while we were in range"

They nearly had a fight in the middle of the fairway. the guy even complained to the organizer, but failed to mention nearly taking a 3 ball out

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Happens very regularly but it is very rare that you hear of anyone being hit, never mind maimed. Storm in a teacup in my view and I never bother if balls land near me.

No-one genuinely means to do this and there is rarely if ever any problem. The chances of an accident are tiny in my view and I only get mildly irritated if the thud of the ball landing is during my swing....

Having both seen and experienced the effect of a potentially fatal ball strike, I take a slightly different view!

It does seem an over-reaction though in this case.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, it was the 1st time.

Really? If I hit a ball that is rolling up to someone on the deck I wouldn't shout fore. I would raise an apologetic hand if they looked around.

Agreed and only the guy hitting it can explain why he took the shot on. I would guess his answer would be that he thought they were out of range. Perhaps he thought they were further away than they were, perhaps he just didn't see them. No idea, I didn't hit it.

Just out of interest, what the yardage of the hole?

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure either party is without a bit of fault here. If I hit a ball and it is heading nearish to someone I should 'fore'. It is not always a call to warn people to get out of the way but rather meant as a 'sorry, that one was a bit closer than I intended' that and a raised hand to show that I was apologetic for hitting a bit sooner than I should tends to keep everyone calm. That said, there is no excuse for hitting the ball back either. Have a word when you pass but don't be petty about it.

Sometimes I think that golfers are worse than a bunch of schoolkids.

Spot on!

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Simply a poor example of bad golf from a pair of idiots.

First idiots was impatient in hitting his shot too early and lacked etiquette for not shouting 'Fore' (he'd be liable for personal damage had he hit another individual).

Second idiot over-reacted and demonstrated a serious lack of etiquette.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did I misread the OP and he said he was playing a captain/pro game? Does that mean the captain witnessed this?

Nah,it was an irrelevant detail tbh. Format was greensomes and you have to beat the capt & pro to get your entry fee back.

Simply a poor example of bad golf from a pair of idiots.

First idiots was impatient in hitting his shot too early and lacked etiquette for not shouting 'Fore' (he'd be liable for personal damage had he hit another individual).

Second idiot over-reacted and demonstrated a serious lack of etiquette.

Again, he must have felt they were well out of range, or not seen them. He hit his hybrid nearly 250 yards, which was a 1 in 100 shot as he was hitting his driver a similar distance. He was playing the hole as most people do as it's only 302 yards, so I suspect he was attempting to lay up to leave 100 in. The group in front had all hit their 2nd shots into the green (at least that is what he thought I believe) and again I never shout fore of there is no danger (which their wasn't)

LUFC 1972

Head Pro
Visit site
Having seen my son knocked out and him having no chance to take cover as the fore shout was as it hit him, I cannot understand why people hit the ball when there is a chance they could reach a group in front. The actions of hitting the ball back is equally as stupid.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played one day at Cromer with my brother and two step brothers. We got to the 8th which is a short Par 4 that on a good day is reachable if you hit a decent drive. It wasn't a good day (weather-wise) and we thought we had no chance of reaching so my brother tee'd off and ended up hitting a good one that reached and rolled through the green (with the appropriate shouts of Fore).

Having seen this the other three of us who hit it a similar distance waited for the green to clear before hitting. The group on the 7th fairway playing their second shots into the green (having not seen the first tee shot) then berated us for holding up play by not teeing off.

It does seem that it impossible to please all of the people any of the time.

P.S. The group ahead of us that my brother drove through were absolutely fine about it and congratulated him on a great drive.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having seen my son knocked out and him having no chance to take cover as the fore shout was as it hit him, I cannot understand why people hit the ball when there is a chance they could reach a group in front. The actions of hitting the ball back is equally as stupid.

I guess as has already been said, he felt there was no way he would reach the group. They were easily 250 yards away and as far as he was concerned taken their approach shots and moving on. He hit his hybrid that must have flown around 220 and rolled for 30 or so (if that). The ball didn't thud down by him. They didn't react suddenly (like some do when you hear a ball thud down). It rolled along the deck at no real pace away from them (or so we thought).