Perfect par 3

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would argue that. I'd much rather play a par 4 where you're thinking about it, and having to play for position than a long par 3 where it's grab the biggest thing you've got in the bag and muller it for all your worth and just pray that you find the green. There's no skill in that.

Forget what the par is, its not relevant to the best way of playing a hole . You may choose to be bold and play for the green or you may decide the best option is to play elsewhere and then play onto the green a well designed long short hole allows for both.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A long par 3 can certainly be fun. The prize is a par and not the glamorous birdie.

There is days that the par is a shot up on the field.

My old club lee park has a tough par 3 5th hole. 207 off the whites. Big tree with ditch protecting the green left about 20 yards short. There is also a ditch running left from under the tree. Green slopes left to right and has run offs right and back.

Working this one out and making par is hugely satisfying and a great test in competition. A par is great, a bogey is no disgrace but big scores can happen very quickly.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I think a course should test different aspects of your game. If you have to take driver on par 3's, that will be the case for a lot of golfers once you get over 180yds, then it is no different a test to a par 4 or 5 as far as your tee shot is concerned.
the day I need to take driver on a 180 yard par 3 is the day I give up golf

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 17th at JCB is mickey mouse golf, American design at it's worst. The whole place is one of the most overrated courses in the country at the moment. Rick Shiels is just picking up freebies to big it up. He talked about how long and tough it was, yet the Legends Tour guys ripped it apart. A strong field European Tour or LIV Tour event and the winning score would be -20 minimum.

Legends tour played it in 35deg heat during the drought, not typical weather for those parts. It's built on the hills, small amount of wind and normal rough and its a brut. The 17th is a brilliant golf hole. Memorable, stunning, unforgettable. People take photos on the tee almost every time they play it.

Micky mouse? Simply wow!

Sorry, not having this post, have to disagree.

D

Deleted member 1147

Legends tour played it in 35deg heat during the drought, not typical weather for those parts. It's built on the hills, small amount of wind and normal rough and its a brut. The 17th is a brilliant golf hole. Memorable, stunning, unforgettable. People take photos on the tee almost every time they play it.

Micky mouse? Simply wow!

Sorry, not having this post, have to disagree.
Also, 20 under for a euro tour event isn’t bad.
What did Lowry shoot on the West Course this weekend?
and that is a very long, tough course.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A 300 yard par 3 is just lunacy.

it also plays downhill and is made to run the ball on using contours, rather than fly it.

players likely only hitting a 220 yard shot, which we see plenty of anyway.

it’s the one later in the round which could play as short as 80 yards which will be amazing to watch

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
it also plays downhill and is made to run the ball on using contours, rather than fly it.

players likely only hitting a 220 yard shot, which we see plenty of anyway.

it’s the one later in the round which could play as short as 80 yards which will be amazing to watch
An 80 yard par 3 - @Oddsocks might be able to drive that with a decent tail wind 🤣🤣🤣

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A 300 yard par 3 is just lunacy.
For most of us - of course it is.

But for the US Open it is a brilliant idea. Not the fact that it is a par three, but as a test of golfing skill and ability for the world's best.
They are playing against each other and they will thinking about beating the average score that the rest are making on that hole over their four rounds.
Should be very interesting for us the spectators to observe some great tee shots and those who manufacture a 3 somehow.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Five par-3s at my club.
White tee yardages are 129, 146, 166, 182 and 202.
The back nine has the shortest and longest, front nine has the middle three.

Yardages at Barnsley Municipal are interesting.

Par-3s are 141, 155, 161, 211.
There are three par-4s that measure 249, 255 and 288. Even the yellow tees are still par-4.
Another four par-4s that measure 447, 454, 457 and 464.
The 447 "plays" the longest as it is uphill stroke index 1.
If anyone fancies a game there this year, let me know and I will join you.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
East Course Saunton has only three par 3s.

Played yesterday. In order, the tee shots were Gap Wedge, 6 iron, 22 degree rescue.

Pretty perfect variety, no gimmicks!

I remember playing Saunton the first time the last Par 3, 16 I think (correct me if I'm wrong) wild head wind, elevated tee. Hit driver didn't even make it to the apron. It was my first taste of links golf, and started with a hail storm on the 1st then blistering sun for the rest of the round. Albeit with a gale blowing every direction