Perception...

mass

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went out today for a round at a local course £10 winter fee, it was a frosty morning so we were playing off winter tees and greens, mats compulsory off the fairway all winter.

Now the question is...

I went round in 80 (hcp 20) now is this percieved as a good round or not because of the winter tee's and green's?

The greens are small and the hole is normal size, some of the tee's are close to the yellows and some close to the reds. Mates were also being tight with the gimmee's anything over 6" and you had to putt.

So, because the greens are small and not good for putting on is it a good round?

Or

because the course is shorter and in theory easier is it not such a good round?

How do you forumers perceive it?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think 80 sounds good regardless. If the tees are way forward, then it can be easier, sure.
I've had a few good rounds on temps, but often because there are no bunkers and it's easy to chip to a green with little roll. If you putted well and shot 80, I'd say well done, and don't discount it as a good round.

Dave

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
yes i would say it was a decent round.at my course when the winter greens are in play it makes at least 6 of the short to medium par 4s drivable as the temps are up to 50 yards short of the real green and lots of people i know including myself have went round under par so i would say its a lot easier but youve still got to get the ball in the hole regardless of the course so if i was you i would be quite happy my best round to real greens is a 2 under par 69 and my best when temps are in play is a 7 under 64 so it does play easier ian mc

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Short courses are easier no doubt about it, hitting 8 irons instead of 4 irons or woods definately is easier. Having said that, you still have to get the ball in the whole so as long a you can putt on the day your scores should be 3-5 shots better off.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
winter course = six under minimum, if on temporary greens. on the other hand, we go to a winter course for 5 months, proper greens, shortened tees, no par fives, tough track. Today on temps, 43 points or nothing.