Pepperell DQ

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Does beg the question, why do they need to mark their own scorecards, does it happen in any other sport at the highest level? Surely in this day and age they should have scorers at PGA level!

Can just see them coming off at the end of a days play and asking Virat Kohli how many he scored lol
doesn't each group each have its own scorer too?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sign for an incorrect score at the hole and don't rectify it equals disqualification. No matter how many paragraphs you want to put in your replies it's still a DQ.
Well, actually it's only a penalty issue if you sign for a score that is lower....but I appreciate that you were highlighting a principle here ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's not the case with Tiger. He had signed the card and the issue only became an issue after post-round interviews when he said he'd gone back 2 yards for the drop.
Nope. If that had been the case the result would have been different.
The committee ruled on his drop prior to him returning his card and without discussing the situation with him.
In his post round interview it became clear that the situation was not what the committee had assumed, and ruled on ....so the phone lines between the tournament committee and the R&A got warm.
The advice to the committee was that they should have spoken to the player before ruling, but as they hadn't their decision (that the player hadn't gained an advantage) couldn't be ignored. Not could the player be penalised for signing for a score that didn't contain a penalty he didn't know about etc. However the technical penalty for not playing from the correct place should be added to his score.
The latter part subsequently becoming part of a rule change.

There, you have me going through it all again after all...?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I worked out a best fit relationship between Course / Bogey Rating and course yardage as follows:

Course Rating = 0.0046*(Course Yardage) + 41.718
Bogey Rating = 0.0068*(Course Yardage) + 52.784

I hate mathematics as well :)

But, I'm also easily distracted in the office.

If Eddie Pepperell suffers from discalculia, perhaps he can accuse the R&A of discrimination? :)
If he does suffer with this then surely he would get every other players score wrong every week!
As well as his own.
It’s a basic of golf and a bad mistake for a pro .
At the end of it the only one who is penalised is himself and his caddy.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
There's a difference between every event being covered live on TV and every shot by 130 players being shown to the level that a few scorers could just record the scores as they are happening.

Think you missed my point, if the event is shown live on TV then someone somewhere is recording scores for every player live, so the leaderboard can be shown on TV and on the course. Who is recording scores for every group as they happen - obviously someone, otherwise the leaderboard could only be updated at the end of a round.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I would have thought in this day and age , in the Pro game, with independent scorers for each group, that a level of proportionality could be factored into the game.
After all, the original objective is to accurately determine how many strokes the Pro went round in.
On the PGA and other Pro tours, it is quite clear what their score is, from accurate sources other than the players card.
A clerical error should not lead to a DQ which may lead to a loss of card and future playing rights.
Those who stubbornly want to see the rule not changed from the draconian status quo should really disenthrall themselves. Circumstances have changed from when the rule was first created. IMHO

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The scorers are there for the benefit of the media staticians etc and they get it wrong on occasions.

And usually volunteers
Imagine a 5mil winners cheque being awarded incorrectly because of a slip of the pen by a volunteer on Thursday morning ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Very daft mistakes all round.
And by the rules it's a DQ
But when they announce the winner they sometimes say " and with rounds of 66,67,66 and 70 the winner is..."
Not with a 1st round of 4,4,5,4,3,3,4,3,4, etc
It's the big number at the end that really counts and as long as the number signed for isn't lower than the actual then, really, in the great scheme of things, should it be a problem?
I know what the rules say but in this day and age there shouldn't be a need for a dq like this, for what is essentially an admin error - especially when the big number at the end isnt different
Ultimately its Eddie's mistake.

D

Deleted member 1147

What about if there’s a tie & he ended up winning on count back?