Pepperell DQ

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Think you missed my point, if the event is shown live on TV then someone somewhere is recording scores for every player live, so the leaderboard can be shown on TV and on the course. Who is recording scores for every group as they happen - obviously someone, otherwise the leaderboard could only be updated at the end of a round.

That's still not the official scores. These will only be official when everyone has signed their card.

Scores will mostly be updated by volunteers and there will errors on these that are updated from time to time.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Nope. If that had been the case the result would have been different.
The committee ruled on his drop prior to him returning his card and without discussing the situation with him.
In his post round interview it became clear that the situation was not what the committee had assumed, and ruled on ....so the phone lines between the tournament committee and the R&A got warm.
The advice to the committee was that they should have spoken to the player before ruling, but as they hadn't their decision (that the player hadn't gained an advantage) couldn't be ignored. Not could the player be penalised for signing for a score that didn't contain a penalty he didn't know about etc. However the technical penalty for not playing from the correct place should be added to his score.
The latter part subsequently becoming part of a rule change.

There, you have me going through it all again after all...?

If you believe all that happened before Tiger signed his card, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it official that something else happened. Or, is is just a conspiracy theory? Intrigued

So Tiger took the drop and played the hole out after hitting it off the flag into the water.

In post match, he stated that he dropped 2 yards back for a better number. Then the media picked up that this was illegal and he should be assessed a penalty - but he'd signed his card. By the letter of the law at that point, he should be DQd.

Over night (Friday into Saturday UK time) we then heard this story about the committee ruling and them finding some obscure loophole to assess him a penalty and keep him in the event.

I 100% believe if this had not been Tiger, he'd almost certainly have been DQd on the Friday night. They bent over backwards to keep him in there.

Swango1980

Visit site
So Tiger took the drop and played the hole out after hitting it off the flag into the water.

In post match, he stated that he dropped 2 yards back for a better number. Then the media picked up that this was illegal and he should be assessed a penalty - but he'd signed his card. By the letter of the law at that point, he should be DQd.

Over night (Friday into Saturday UK time) we then heard this story about the committee ruling and them finding some obscure loophole to assess him a penalty and keep him in the event.

I 100% believe if this had not been Tiger, he'd almost certainly have been DQd on the Friday night. They bent over backwards to keep him in there.
Fair enough, it is Tiger after all :) . I bet Patrick Reed may have also got away with it

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough, it is Tiger after all :) . I bet Patrick Reed may have also got away with it

Difference is Reed was in a PGA Tour event and not a major.

I'd be surprised if the USGA or R&A would have accepted Reed's explanation and come to the same conclusion.