Pepperell DQ

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Actually quite sceptical about starting this thread (it involves an English golfer) in case I am branded a racist again however it really is a bizarre situation. Blame on both sides and also a bit of idiocy involved to.

Eddie was DQ'd for signing for the wrong score. He did shoot a 71 and signed for a 71 however the problem arose when he signed from wrong individual scores on holes. His partner had him down for a 6 on a hole where he got a 5 and also had him down for 3 at a hole where he got a 4. Eddie to his credit spotted this mistake and notified his partner and the scorecard was changed. However this is where it gets crazy. They then changed the scorecard together and altered the score on the 17th hole which wasn't a hole where the score was incorrect resulting in the DQ. Basically they altered the score on the wrong hole!

This is their livelihood who can such basic errors occur? Utter madness and loss of a potential pay cheque.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Actually quite sceptical about starting this thread (it involves an English golfer) in case I am branded a racist again however it really is a bizarre situation. Blame on both sides and also a bit of idiocy involved to.

Eddie was DQ'd for signing for the wrong score. He did shoot a 71 and signed for a 71 however the problem arose when he signed from wrong individual scores on holes. His partner had him down for a 6 on a hole where he got a 5 and also had him down for 3 at a hole where he got a 4. Eddie to his credit spotted this mistake and notified his partner and the scorecard was changed. However this is where it gets crazy. They then changed the scorecard together and altered the score on the 17th hole which wasn't a hole where the score was incorrect resulting in the DQ. Basically they altered the score on the wrong hole!

This is their livelihood who can such basic errors occur? Utter madness and loss of a potential pay cheque.

pretty bad, esp as these guys do it for a living and filling out up to 4 cards a week.... school boy error...

oh and just to keep things on an even keel, would you have started this thread if it were a scottisg golfer?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

I think it’s crazy that this can happen in the game today when there are people walking around with them marking everything they do. On the flip side it also screams the lack of communication between the pairs of player/caddies during the game That so many mistakes were made in a single card. yes They should still make each other’s card but they should sit down at the end as they do checking it against the official record and it should be the official record that stands.

its very easy to say it’s his own fault but we’re all human and we’ve all heard of such instances around our clubs. This just happened to be in a high profile situation.

Wolf

Visit site
Read about it this morning bloody stupid mistake to make especially when it was a mistake made to correct a mistake. Even typing that sentence makes it sound as ridiculous as it actually is.

I also find ot interesting that in the grand scheme of things depsite the errors made on the holes concerned that ultimately he signed for correct overall score therefore gained no advantage over the field or anyone so did he really need to be DQ. But obviously that's a whole different question.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It happens in all walks of life. My mate works in tax for a big firm, and told me that due to someone he knows misreading a deadline on something, it cost the company £4mil. In percentage terms it's different to Pepperell potentialy missing out on a cheque, but human errors happen.

D

Deleted member 1147

Not his first scorecard error - did pretty much the same thing a couple of years ago in Germany

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When you think about how simple a professional scorecard actually looks it's a really stupid thing to get wrong.

At the same time. Any adjustments should be allowed to be done before actually signing for the score.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the same time. Any adjustments should be allowed to be done before actually signing for the score.

They are, and to take it further, they would have been able to make them after signing and handing over the card but before leaving the scoring area....

If there hadn't been the apparent confusion associated with making the changes made it would probably have been picked up between the player and scoring team - and resolved fine.

Once the changes had been made the players should have repeated the process of comparing one line of scores with the other - they clearly didn't.

It's a real shame when such things happen.

As to having caddies and others involved to improve things- it wouldn't. There have been many studies in far more important areas of life (mainly medical) that prove conclusively that the more people involved in checking the higher the error rate associated with what is being checked.

As an aside this also illustrates the point Rulefan and I frequently post as to why, if you want to avoid errors in returned competition scorecards, you do not put net scores, points or totals down - just the 18 gross hole scores.

Sorry for Eddy, but another learning experience

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I get why the rule is the rule, but previously the rules did not not allow for intent. i.e. if you made a mistake there was nothing taken into account about whether you intended to move the ball, touch the sand in a bunker etc. But the recent rules changes allowed for this and has created some leeway as to whether it was intentional or accidental.

So why not employ the same logic here?

Now appreciate it wouldn't be practical to apply this in the amateur game as it's not fair for volunteers to be chasing people up and asking them about mistakes on their scorecard, but allow for a local rule in pro or elite events if a genuine mistake is spotted after signature it can be rectified as a stroke penalty.

Big instances we saw in terms of Tiger at the 2013 Masters - definitely signed for the wrong score and wasn't DQd.
And Reed last year. Claimed there was no intent to improve his lie and was only assessed a 2 shot penalty.

Difficult to argue that Eddie's punishment fits the crime in the context of these other two incidents.