Pencil golf bag - possibly callaway

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Thinking of getting a pencil bag as fancy carrying clubs rather than push trolley.

Callaway hyperlite one plus seems good

Any thoughts? Anyone use?

Thanks

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No idea what the bag is like but from my experience the features I would go for are a double carry strap and a stand

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I've got a slightly older ping hoofer (I think) bag. 4 dividers, light as anything, double strap and a stand.

Brilliant bag. I play the local 9 holer with it, with hybrid & 7i-56* wedge. Or take it to the range with half a set. Couldn't be happier with it. Highly recommended.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The Titleist one is good. Very light, double strap and the pocket is large enough to carry a spare ball in case you need to hit a provisional 👍

User20204

Visit site
I do a bit of both.
The freedom of carrying, especially a light half set, is great.

I used to be on the side of carrying for years but logically it makes no sense, lumping on your back, lumping it off your back, just seems wasted energy unnecessarily. I don't bark for my dog.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to be on the side of carrying for years but logically it makes no sense, lumping on your back, lumping it off your back, just seems wasted energy unnecessarily. I don't bark for my dog.
Since my knees have been getting worse I tend to use a trolley, particularly for carrying a full set.
But carrying improves fitness, is better for the turf particularly if wet, doesn't need setting up or humphing around in a car, grabbing a pencil bag for a few holes and practice makes a lot of sense.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hi all

Thinking of getting a pencil bag as fancy carrying clubs rather than push trolley.

Callaway hyperlite one plus seems good

Any thoughts? Anyone use?

Thanks

Got the Hyperlite One and no complaints with that, does exactly what I want of a pencil bag & has the bonus of the Callaway logo in velcro so you can keep your glove dry in sweaty conditions.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i've got a single strap carry bag i use occasionally, great for a half set.

great for a few bounce games when its nice and when using a full set isn't that important,

D

Deleted member 23344

I have a lightweight Callaway bag for carrying a few clubs when there is a trolley ban in wet weather. It’s been fine.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why anyone would want to carry rather than trolley is beyond me.

Just find it so much quicker, especially in the winter when paths / routes are restricted. Our course is downland so rough it think, impossible to push a trolley through but with a bag on your back, happy days.

I find the only downside to be the fact that you always pack light, even in poor conditions

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a pretty average bag I picked up on Amazon for £10.

Does 9 hole par 3 perfect as well just about being OK for a holiday 18 with a half set. Only carries a handful of balls and with just enough room for a wallet.

It has a double strap but they keep getting crossed over and it doesnt need full length legs as it keeps falling over, those short legs would have been fine.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've got several single strap bags with pockets of varying capacity.

One of the annoying things about old bags is that they seem to have very little room to put stuff other than clubs, I guess they were less materialistic times. :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have one, mainly used for when going to the range or practise ground, occasionally use it with a handful of clubs on course, works fine as long as youre not expecting lots of pocket room

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why anyone would want to carry rather than trolley is beyond me.

Unless you've got a physical impairment than no self respecting person shouldn't be worried about fatigue of carrying a golf bag. If you do end up knackered then I'd suggest you get yourself down the gym, get stronger, lose weight and improve yourself. If you like having a trolley then so be it, but simply using tiredness as an excuse not to carry is laughable.

On the Pencil bag I'd recommend callaway as they do one with a stand and double straps.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies

Anyone know if you can 14 clubs in callaway bag? Well 12 actually as 2 I carry but never use

User20204

Visit site
Unless you've got a physical impairment than no self respecting person shouldn't be worried about fatigue of carrying a golf bag. If you do end up knackered then I'd suggest you get yourself down the gym, get stronger, lose weight and improve yourself. If you like having a trolley then so be it, but simply using tiredness as an excuse not to carry is laughable.

I remember my father saying many years ago that the course we used to be members of was getting too tough for him, physically. At the time I thought he was talking nonsense, in the days when I carried my clubs all the time. Fast forward 35 years on and I now play at a flatter course than we did then, I now understand what he was on about. 18 holes of golf once you get to a certain age is about conserving energy to last the round, lumping a bag on and off every time I stop at my ball is expending energy I would much rather preserve for playing the shots.

How old are you btw ?