PCC algorithm changin

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As with the above posts - competition on Sunday went to PCC 2. And the course was a little muddy but the weather was really nice, so I was surprised it went to 2. Can't remember the last time I saw it at 2.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only just noticed this week that my last two cards had a PCC adjustment and one a comp where the best score was 3 better than handicap with just 2 players playing to handicap PCC 2 and one a general play card PCC 1 (we get about 40 a day where I play).

We have had had PCC adjustments in comps previously but it looks like it might be more frequent.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Six medals played this year, one hasn't changed, four have gone +1, the other +2.
Quite extraordinary considering Scottish Golf told us how well PCC was working (before the essential algorithm change was made). They really don't like feedback

IanMcC

Visit site
What about the summer when the course is not muddy and is playing a bit easier. Will we see more minus PCCs?
I hope so. Most of our members, myself included, have their best 8 sandwiched in that July to mid September period last year, with fairways like lino and not a PCC to be seen.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Saturday: Wide range of handicaps and half of field score 32pts or better, No PCC; Sunday: wide range of handicaps and third of field score 32pts or better, half of field score 31pts or better; PCC of 1 means after adjustment half of field score 32pts or better. After all maybe 32pts is the statistically most likely (the mean) score for a normally distributed range of handicaps.

Coincidence? Probably. But had me conjecturing that there could be some correlation that makes the median score for a statistically normal distribution of handicaps being 32pts. And if it isn’t a PCC is applied to make it so. Of course the PCC calc is most likely to be nothing of the sort, but I had fun conjuring it up.

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Saturday: Wide range of handicaps and half of field score 32pts or better, No PCC; Sunday: wide range of handicaps and third of field score 32pts or better, half of field score 31pts or better; PCC of 1 means after adjustment half of field score 32pts or better. After all maybe 32pts is the statistically most likely (the mean) score for a normally distributed range of handicaps.

Coincidence? Probably. But had me conjecturing that there could be some correlation with the median of a statistically normal distribution of handicaps being 32pts. And if it isn’t a PCC is applied to make it so. Of course the PCC calc is most likely to be nothing of the sort, but I had fun conjuring it up.
I didn't know the PCC algorithm was based on Stabelford points? I thought it was based on the gross scores posted.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I didn't know the PCC algorithm was based on Stabelford points? I thought it was based on the gross scores posted.
I have no idea…you may very well be right.

I was simply conjecturing given two sets of stableford results the same weekend off the same tee setup, with similar weather and underfoot conditions - though Saturday weather was def a bit tougher. One had a PCC of 1 - the other of 0. The PCC adjustment on Saturday did only affect the players gross score for the round, but i was thinking ’what-if’ the stableford scores were what drove the calculation - either directly or as a reflection of the gross scores.

But as said - I was only making it up on the basis that I used to consider 32pts being about what I would score when playing to my ability (as opposed to my handicap), with no outrageous hole-outs or overly good or bad breaks, and with my mathematical mind I was seeing a possible correlation.

Last edited:

Bwgan

Hacker
Visit site
I've been looking at it from how many achieve Par or better, currently PCC is adjusted for 6-7% must be Par or better which stacks up against the very limited data we have so far.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't have though it was gross scores as all elite events would then have a negative PCC and vice versa. Would have thought any calculation would include net double bogey, so effectively stableford.
It's based on the total score entered/used for handicap purposes.

Bwgan

Hacker
Visit site
I can virtually guarantee par is absolutely irrelevant. If you looked at it against Course Rating, that would make more sense.
Quite possibly ... just another fixed point to base results against. The relationship would be the same.
Just glad it's actually being used !

tobybarker

Visit site
interesting situation this week... on one fine sunny day (good for scoring as it's usually windy here) 19 qualifying scores entered on the day... one from me (SD should not have caused a change in my HCP), one from the new member I was with (first card entered for HCP purposes) and 17 old ladies who all posted their USUAL high scores (they really are terrible). overnight PCC was set to 2, resulting in a drop to my HCP. I don't mind that but the moral seems to be, if you want to lower your HCP play on ladies day. it wasn't a true +2 day by most people's measure.

it might indicate that the ladies' HCPs are wrong, (they all play off 30plus)

AussieKB

Visit site
interesting situation this week... on one fine sunny day (good for scoring as it's usually windy here) 19 qualifying scores entered on the day... one from me (SD should not have caused a change in my HCP), one from the new member I was with (first card entered for HCP purposes) and 17 old ladies who all posted their USUAL high scores (they really are terrible). overnight PCC was set to 2, resulting in a drop to my HCP. I don't mind that but the moral seems to be, if you want to lower your HCP play on ladies day. it wasn't a true +2 day by most people's measure.

it might indicate that the ladies' HCPs are wrong, (they all play off 30plus)
Here in OZ if I play on Vet's day then the PCC is always between 2 & 3 we have up to 144 playing in the comp as well, so if you want to lower your H'cap then this the comp to play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You may have a point.

I played a Senior Open at St Mellons yesterday. Near perfect weather, course in good condition... I haven't seen the score sheet but the PCC was 2. I wasn't expecting that.

In one respect similar here on Monday

Seniors Comp White tee handicap medal, good conditions so weather was not a factor, 61 players only 3 players played to or better than handicap PCC of 2.

Given that the vast majority of the field play every single seniors comp and many play club comps as well I believe incorrect handicaps would not be a factor.

However we now have 3 holes at least where a lot of seniors cannot reach the fairway and 3 doglegs holes where a lot of seniors cannot get to the angle of the dogleg off the whites.