PC and laptop advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Despite being relatively young and having half of my degree in computer programming....I'm kinda out of the loop with PC tech these days.

My mum has asked me to look into getting a new desktop for her (just the box). It only needs to be for browsing the net and e-mails mainly - so I don't really need advice on the spec (as pretty much anything will do) but more advice on where you'd look for a deal?

Also, my Mrs and I are looking for a new laptop..... again mainly for net and e-mails but she also does some video editing and also does some photography stuff on one of those SLDR cameras (or whatever they're called). What would you recommend? Again, where would you get a deal.

Budget - mums PC less than £200. Laptop - maybe £500. Is that sufficient?

Coming into this as a noob if I'm honest, so don't be afraid to be a bit punchy with replies if needs be.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Get over onto ebuyer to have a look at prices, £450 will get a decent laptop and £250 will get a zoostorm core i3 4gb 1tb base unit.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi all

Despite being relatively young and having half of my degree in computer programming....I'm kinda out of the loop with PC tech these days.

My mum has asked me to look into getting a new desktop for her (just the box). It only needs to be for browsing the net and e-mails mainly - so I don't really need advice on the spec (as pretty much anything will do) but more advice on where you'd look for a deal?

Also, my Mrs and I are looking for a new laptop..... again mainly for net and e-mails but she also does some video editing and also does some photography stuff on one of those SLDR cameras (or whatever they're called). What would you recommend? Again, where would you get a deal.

Budget - mums PC less than £200. Laptop - maybe £500. Is that sufficient?

Coming into this as a noob if I'm honest, so don't be afraid to be a bit punchy with replies if needs be.

I bought my Mrs an ASUS EeeBook E403 laptop for Christmas. For internet, Email and learning Windows - perfect - and she loves it. Even Windows 10 is now really neat. Sleek and lightweight. It was reduced to £199 the weekend before Christmas and with my work discount I got it for £182. I see it is now £279. It is a very nice little laptop for basic use - for your mum? maybe also consider a chromebook as they are specifically aimed at your mum's needs. Was going to get my Mrs one until I twigged it didn't have Windows (and she needed that). Definitely get a Chromebook for under £200.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you go for the Desktop route, check out the Computer repair shops in Tunbridge wells or East Grinstead - whichever is closer.

They often have their 'own brand', either new or trades for upgrades, that are really good value!

Not quite SLDR - that's a TM product - but close! DSLR (for Digital Single Lens Reflex) btw!

Memory not too much of an initial consideration - as long as it's DDR3, because that's cheap (I can recommend DrMemory on Ebay). 8GB works fine for me! 4 (of which only just over 3 is usable) actually works fine on this (32bit as opposed to 64 bit) laptop!

Your (broadband) internet speed will almost certainly be the critical factor for browsing rather than the performance of the PC itself.

If it's for photos, then the larger the disk size the better - 1TB is probably the norm, though I 'get away with' significantly less.

(Also) consider a Solid State Drive/Disk (SSD). Super-fast and apparently now pretty cost-effective. They are the current 'bleeding edge' product, so will almost certain become cheaper/bigger/better value over the next year or so. I have been advised that 'hybrids' - that contain some solid state memory and an actual drive with the distribution being managed by built in software - are a bit iffy! They seem to be an interim solution (cheaper/bigger while SSD is expensive) but that's actually how many mainframes work so maybe just my 'bias'!

If you decide on going the laptop direction, then £500 will get you a seriously quick machine. There's a couple of other threads about options. PhiltheFragger has specified a minimum spec- which I'd recommend in this case (but maybe not others and certainly for myself on a lower budget!). I think (from memory) you probably only need to spend £400 to get an entirely adequate one that will last 5 years plus (the recognised standard measurement of suitability).

vogt

Visit site
The Asus X550ZA-WB11 is a decent option. Probably the best in your budget. It has a decent processor, excellent memory and storage as well as battery life.