pausing for a fraction of a second at the top of the backswing ...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
with the putter :mmm:

i was doing a bit of putting practice last night and had a brainwave. if we pause for a fraction of a second at the top of our full swing, would it help to do the same with the putting stroke?

tried it for a while with some good results. seems to take away a jerky transition and allows for a smooth stroke.

one of the best putters ive ever played with took the putter away soo slowly it took him nearly 3seconds to make the stroke so you dont have to putt fast to be a good putter!

thoughts ?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I feel if I tried to do that, I would wobble the putter trying to hold it still.

I try to let gravity slow the putter to a stop on the way back and let it take over again to start the putter back down, which might amount to the same thing?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I feel if I tried to do that, I would wobble the putter trying to hold it still.

I try to let gravity slow the putter to a stop on the way back and let it take over again to start the putter back down, which might amount to the same thing?

that does sound pretty similar. at some stage it has to stop briefly to allow it to change direction.