Paul Casey, is he too negative?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been trying to keep up with the golf while on holiday in the USA, the channels here have picked up on it and it's something I've thought for a while.
He quite often leads or is in contention in a tournament and talks himself down acterwards, it's in a way in which he almost expects to lose. Even the missus commented on it last night while she was thoroughly enjoying the coverage 😁.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never been a fan of Casey personally.. Dunno why but then my mate did stewarding for the volvo Match play few years ago and Casey was a complete dick to a 75yo fan so just confirmed to me my gut was right about him

D

Deleted member 1740

I think he's a great player but he lacks the mental strength to compete for 4days. He often has 3 very good rounds and 1 poor round which costs him winning.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have always wanted to like Casey, I really have. I think all pros have their moments where they make an error with a fan or journalist, it must be very hard when the cameras and mics are on you almost 24/7.

Putting any mistakes aside for now his golf is more than good enough, always seems to pop up on the leaderboard with a low coupl of rounds, leading me to think this might be his year, then he throws in a 75 and it's all gone. Four rounds is one too many at times.

Soon he will be overtaken by the younger talent, in his prime for now though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A player I can't warm too and it seems he does struggle when in contention, especially after two rounds to then keep it going. I think he's got a few years at his prime to get a big win but time is ticking

D

Deleted member 15344

Anyone I know who has met him says he is a complete "insert your word here"

I didn't like the way he acted in regards the European Tour and Ryder Cup

Cried when he didn't get a pick in 2010 , he then lost his PGA tour card - came running back to the European Tour , complained like mad about the qualifying for the Ryder Cup , won a ET event - got an invite to PGA event , they changed the qualifying for the Ryder Cup making it easier for him - he then dumped his ET card. I hope when he loses his card again that he is made to qualify for a ET card

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't particularly like him either but he's up there again in the Tour championship.

He's having a pretty good year isn't he? Seems always to be there or thereabouts.

Might be a good outside bet for a major next year if he continues in this vein.

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
Seems to lack that mental edge to push for the win on a Sunday. Should have won a big PGA event in past 2 years with positions his been in and ability.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He was interviewed by the SkyCart yesterday. Interestingly, he is top of the tour averages for low score on a Thursday of an event. However, he is outside the top 70 for score on a Sunday.