Passat OR Mondeo?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Whilst the Mondeo is excellent, I would go for the passat.

Yes the passat will cost you more during ownership but when you come to sell, the passat will be worth much more than the mondeo so on that basis alone the passat is the choice.

As a driving experience, there isnt much between them TBH but the passat would just have the edge as a total package.

I have owned many passats and never had major issues other than a dud injector.

Visit site
VW Group

Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda, VW Commercial, Bugatti, Lamborghini (I think still) are all part of the same group.
If the passat is too big, you'll have to go for the Veyron then :cool:

Too many CO2's Bob, would cost a fortune in CC Tax!

Thanks for the replies guys, I was actually leaning towards the Passat anyway.

I currently drive a Golf 2.0 GT TDi and have had it for 3 years doing 35,000 miles a year and have found it to be excellent apart from the replcement gearbox! It will be a company car so running costs and depreciation are not really an issue.

Amazing really that a £23k car in 6mths is £15k, why would anyone buy new?

Hapless - I've selected the MX-200's mate.

DCB

Visit site
I drove a Mondeo 2l Tdi Zetec (old style) for four years. Reasonable car but nothing to write home about. This time last year I changed to a Passat Estate, (company car)couldn't order the one I wanted so ended up with 1.9 bluemotion. Absolutely superb. Average mpg in high 50s and on a single run on motorway or up to Aberdeen as i am this week its mid 60s per gallon. Maybe not the oomph of the 170bhp model, but lower road tax and more miles per gallon.

Just about to change jobs and this is the one thing I will really miss about my current package. Defenately thinking of one of my own.

Build quality is streets ahead of Ford.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Two (different) things:

1. Sneds, your "Fergie misses the bus" clip is the funniest thing I have seen in ages. ty.

2. Passat v Mondep: both good, worthy cars. I would by choice take the Passat but would be equally happy with the Mondeo

Yours (on the fence..)
Andy.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I drive a ford - Focus not Mondeo admitedly, and it's fine. Nothing wrong with it at all. Nothing. It's perfectly decent in every way.

Definately go with the Passat.

I drive C-Max but I would still have the Passat over the Mondeo :D If you had dropped off as many of each as I have at Auctions and and new models to dealers and seen their state first hand, you would choose the passat. :D

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I’m onto my 5th passat and it’s a 140 estate. Just sold my 140 Sport, put it in autotrader and it was sold in 3 days. Personally, if I had the money, I wouldn’t buy a 6 month old car, I would go for a 2 year old model with 20 or 30 thousand miles. That way it will be much cheaper, well within the 3 year or 60k warranty, depreciation will be on a steady plane, any problems will be well sorted and a good one will still drive like new.

My present cars done 83k and it drives sweet while returning 46 MPG. I would think hard about paying extra for the 170 when the 140 pulls like a train and will rip up front tyres, if you want it to, in no time at all. The only problem with the sport models is the firm suspension, fine for motorways but a bit to tight for normal everyday running.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't like VWs at all. Sadly, all the ones I've owned have been unreliable and t.b.h. a bit rubbish.

I would go for a Ford, but not a 6 month old when there is still lots of nasty depreciation to go.

Neither floats my boat. At least with a Mondeo, you're not trying to be "something" - it is what it is, a mass-produced half decent car that drives OK (well, better than OK) and is cheap-ish to keep on the road.

Some folks swear by Passats, I think they don't have any more cache than a Vectra or Mondeo.......then again, nor does a 3-series these days......

Visit site
I’m onto my 5th passat and it’s a 140 estate. Just sold my 140 Sport, put it in autotrader and it was sold in 3 days. Personally, if I had the money, I wouldn’t buy a 6 month old car, I would go for a 2 year old model with 20 or 30 thousand miles. That way it will be much cheaper, well within the 3 year or 60k warranty, depreciation will be on a steady plane, any problems will be well sorted and a good one will still drive like new.

My present cars done 83k and it drives sweet while returning 46 MPG. I would think hard about paying extra for the 170 when the 140 pulls like a train and will rip up front tyres, if you want it to, in no time at all. The only problem with the sport models is the firm suspension, fine for motorways but a bit to tight for normal everyday running.

Price & Tyres not a problem Tommo as its a company car.

The reason for the 170 over the 140bhp is that I will be towing occasionally and the extra little torque will come in handy.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I recently purchased a new car. Wife wanted an estate, and the boot needed to be big enough to take clubs without removing the woods. Was seriously considering the Passat, right up to the last moment when we plumped for an Avensis TR.

If I had to choose between Passat and Mondeo, I'd go for the Passat, but with a wider brief, we looked at A4, Mondeo, Passat, Avensis, Mazda6, Saab and Honda. Decided on the Avensis in the end, got a good deal on a 1 year old, very very pleased with it.

I second Tommo21 in looking for a little bit older than 6 months.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I don't like VWs at all. Sadly, all the ones I've owned have been unreliable and t.b.h. a bit rubbish.

I would go for a Ford, but not a 6 month old when there is still lots of nasty depreciation to go.

Neither floats my boat. At least with a Mondeo, you're not trying to be "something" - it is what it is, a mass-produced half decent car that drives OK (well, better than OK) and is cheap-ish to keep on the road.

Some folks swear by Passats, I think they don't have any more cache than a Vectra or Mondeo.......then again, nor does a 3-series these days......

You cannot be serious man. I want the umpire out here now. “Not trying to be something”, where did that come from. As for the Vectra comparison, 3 of the passats I’ve sold have been to Vectra owners.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
You cannot be serious man. I want the umpire out here now. “Not trying to be something”, where did that come from. As for the Vectra comparison, 3 of the passats I’ve sold have been to Vectra owners.

:) :)

I can't speak for everyone and every area, but around here folks buy VWs to try and be "above" the Ford/Vauxhall class.
The Passat may be a better car in many respects, but the reality around here is that the "posh" car drivers still look on VWs as nothing special, so buying one for brand pride is a waste of time......

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking to get a new (well 6mth old) car soon and have narrowed my choice down to two:-

Volkswagen Passat Estate 2.0tdi 170bhp (preferably in black)

OR

Ford Mondeo Estate 2.0TDCI Titanium or X

Both in black and both Automatic.

What do you reckon?

The Particular Ford you are looking at is quite a high spec, but quite frankly, I'd really have to say VW Passat all the way.

The Irony is Ford do some excellent small cars & have made the odd classic too, like the Granada Scorpio, but as for Sierra's & Mondeo's I've never really cared for at all. And yes I have driven them. Did some agency work many moons ago for a big car auction house & got to drive a lot of cars in that time.

I wont say the VW will be trouble free, but certainly a much more solid prospect.

All said & done there are many other marques that could also be looked at.

As for the Vectra issue. I'd choose a vectra any day as an alternative in preferance to the Ford Mondeo.

However I have owned Vauxhalls in the past & you really do need to be careful in having them serviced, as Vauxhalls have a reputation for blowing head gaskets & with the aliminum heads Vauxhall use, not the cheapest thing to put right. Things have moved on since I last owned a vauxhall, but it is something that will always be at the back of my mind.

If it were me It would be the VW Passat if I were only given two choices, but I would be seriously considering an Jaguar X Type Estate, or a Merc estate, if it had to be an estate.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
out of the two, i'd get the VW. if i had the choice though, i'd go for a new shape accord tourer. lovely looking car, holds its value and is a wee bit different and will not let you down.

i've had two VWs. never again. how they can still maintain that they are a reliable brand is beyond me!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
save the brain strain, go with a Toyota - my Avensis has been as good as gold, a bit boring but oh so reliable.

and you can get the clubs, trolley and all in the boot without having to take the driver out of the bag.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
save the brain strain, go with a Toyota - my Avensis has been as good as gold, a bit boring but oh so reliable.

and you can get the clubs, trolley and all in the boot without having to take the driver out of the bag.

Now, here is a man after my own heart.
Why buy a car that'll empty your pockets before 100k when you can but one that'll get to 200k just on exhausts and tyres!!!

I solved the problem of exhausts by buying a "lifetime" stainless system for a Celica, Accord, Corolla, Integra and others to boot! My 1994 Accord (no longer owned by me) is on 217,000, only ever needed a starter motor re-brushing (about £8!!)
My BMW is a money pit, and don't even get me started on Audis.......my mate just spent a grand on windscreen wiper motors.....a grand!!!!! :(