Passat OR Mondeo?

Visit site
Looking to get a new (well 6mth old) car soon and have narrowed my choice down to two:-

Volkswagen Passat Estate 2.0tdi 170bhp (preferably in black)

OR

Ford Mondeo Estate 2.0TDCI Titanium or X

Both in black and both Automatic.

What do you reckon?

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
The Mondeo will be worth zilch as soon as you drive it away. The Passat should hold it's price better.

Lots of toys in the Mondeo, especially the models specified. With the Passat you're buying very good build quality.

You should get a few qualified opinions as there are a couple of car dealers who are members of the site.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can't comment on the Mondeo, but had a Passat as a hire car last year in France, and I couldn't fault it. I always thought of them as the poor mans VW, but now I think of them as a great car in their own right.

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have the 2.0 TDI SE Estate, and am slowly getting to grips with it.

Had to change as we had a daughter in August last year, and with the dog as well, we had next to zero space in the Leon Cupra.

So, bit of a shock going from a sporty hatch with 180bhp, to a famiy estate with 140bhp, but I'm getting there. :)

M1tch

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking to get a new (well 6mth old) car soon and have narrowed my choice down to two:-

Volkswagen Passat Estate 2.0tdi 170bhp (preferably in black)

OR

Ford Mondeo Estate 2.0TDCI Titanium or X

Both in black and both Automatic.

What do you reckon?

Volkswagen Passat Estate all the way !!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm in the trade.... ;) ;) ;)
If you want to keep your running costs down, Mondeo.
If you want the better car, Passat.

I had a Passat TDCi saloon for a few months last year, loved it and was seriously peed off when somebody came in and bought it.
I then went into a Beetle TDi....biggest pile of crap I've ever driven.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I drive a ford - Focus not Mondeo admitedly, and it's fine. Nothing wrong with it at all. Nothing. It's perfectly decent in every way.

Definately go with the Passat.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go with the Passat ,i test drove one before i bought the Jetta and thought it was a great car to drive and good on diesel plus you can get everything and the kitchen sink in the boot . I went for the Jetta because the wife said it was to big a car for her to drive as she' just passed her test. :( :(

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you don't mind changing the gearbox after a couple of thousand miles, really hard uncomfortable seats and no charisma - go for the Passat.