Passat OR Mondeo?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am getting a new Mondeo in 2 weeks and am dreading it. We are getting the 1.8 diesel which I have been told is dog slow and has nil power. Not the kind of thing you want when driving 45,000 miles a year.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know the original Diesel Mondeo's when they first came out were reletive tractors, but I'm sure the new breed of small bore turbo & twin turbo diesels are very good performers. Not sure what is fitted to the current crop of Fords, but must surely be better than those early models by now.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Citroen Has a 92 BHP 1.6HDI Diesel engine & goes like stink. There is a 110BHP version & I'm sure that'd be even quicker. So I'd say 125BHP, should be more than enough in a modern diesel engine to keep life exciting.

One word of caution, there is a price for a heavy right toe even in a diesel. If your new car has instant MPG readout on its computer, just jake a look at what happens to the MPG when you really toe it. It'll start to show at least for that short distance you do floor it figures in the 20's :D

That said everything still evens out & mine averages 56.5mpg & I'm more than happy with that. So I'm sure you'll be just as happy with your ford as I am with my citroen.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
My problem is I have a boot full of tools and other bits and bobs for my job so cant run it at its 'fighting' weight. It is a 3 year, 100k mile lease so with my new area I am sure I can do 100k in 2 years so can upgrade to a 2l Zetec or Ghia.