Paralysis by Analysis

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Practice swings are worth it if you’re trying to feel a feeling.

Tiger used to do quite an exaggerated one, I’m sure lots of pros do.

I think a practice swing with intent, be it a feeling, or no feeling at all, is good. Just a habitual one, less so
Speith does an interested practice (3/4) swing these days, nothing at all like his actual swing but just a trigger motion to set his mind for what he wants to do when he does swing to hit.

phillarrow

Visit site
I am working on not fanning the club on the takeaway so my practice swing has me feeling the club is looking at the ball for longer. Get to the to and then feel like I have room to swing through. Really try to get the feel so not a proper practice swing as such

Ditto. Not for the same issue but the same principle of grooving a feeling using a shorter/slower swing. I have no idea how true it is but I've heard/seen/read that doing things like this repeatedly in slow motion helps groove the correct feeling when swinging normally. Doing this is certainly helping me when it comes to reducing how much I swing over the top with my driver. Not perfected yet by any means, but a lot better.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Having a torrid time at the moment, my dreaded hook is back. I know what I'm supposed to do to address it, and in the practice net, or on the range, practice swings etc it's all good. But, as soon as I step up to the tee with my driver on the course, I get a mass of thoughts in my head about what I should do in the swing. Consequently I end up taking a really nasty hack/ swipe, rather than the same lovely practice swing I executed a moment before. If I don't think about the swing, it works fine, and irons are generally OK, but any wood at the moment is just a lottery. It's like I'm paralysed before I take away.

Anyone got a decent tip for clearing thoughts before a swing?

When you go to the driving range do you practice your entire routine or do you just stand and hit balls? If it's the later, go through your entire routine from standing behind the ball, to address and then hitting it. Hit a bucket of balls. Then do the same on the tee.

If it helps, count yourself in. 1,2,3 go.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Anyone got a decent tip for clearing thoughts before a swing?
Try to avoid thinking about the swing at all. You've confirmed everything by the 'practice' one(s), so have confidence and avoid any tension in the real swing. Think of something pleasant unrelated to the swing - or to golf even.
Otherwise, think of something that's a desirable result of a good swing as opposed is a cause of one - like 'finish high' or 'finish balanced'

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
In the book "The Inner Game of Golf" (Tim Gallwey) he says that to keep the voices in your head quiet during the swing, say "BACK" to your self (or out loud) on the backswing and "HIT" as you go to hit it!

While you concentrate on saying that, you can be thinking of anything else! :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You can't really generalise.
Some people like to clear their head and try and think about nothing while others prefer at least one swing thought, maybe two.
I have two

RichA

Visit site
You can't really generalise.
Some people like to clear their head and try and think about nothing while others prefer at least one swing thought, maybe two.
I have two
I'm quite often thinking about stuff that's not even golf related, which probably doesn't help me.