Paralysis by Analysis

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Having a torrid time at the moment, my dreaded hook is back. I know what I'm supposed to do to address it, and in the practice net, or on the range, practice swings etc it's all good. But, as soon as I step up to the tee with my driver on the course, I get a mass of thoughts in my head about what I should do in the swing. Consequently I end up taking a really nasty hack/ swipe, rather than the same lovely practice swing I executed a moment before. If I don't think about the swing, it works fine, and irons are generally OK, but any wood at the moment is just a lottery. It's like I'm paralysed before I take away.

Anyone got a decent tip for clearing thoughts before a swing?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah, the hook, an old adversary of mine too. I am trying to get rid of it by practising taking the club away in front of me, not whipping it inside, and shortening the swing to keep it tight and reduce the temptation to flash at it with the hands. It can be easier to start with half shots or slow swings until you begin to fell what it should be.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Where does the ball start?

centre or right of centre.

I know it's mostly my grip, have a bad habit of sliding my right hand round. But over the last week, I seem to be hitting down on the ball with a closed face when driving, although not in practice. It's all become an issue with me addressing the ball on the tee and not even wanting to take away for fear of it.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say if you know how to fix it, you just need to practice that more until you can do it consistently. By consistently, I mean every single time when you are at the range.

I'd say until you are at that point, the bad one will still pop up on the course from time to time when you're a bit more tense. That's certainly my experience.

EDIT: I'm no golf swing expert, but are you sure you're hitting down with a closed club face? My pro uses his trackman routinely in lessons now and it's been enlightening in terms of swing path and face. Just one lesson gave me a lot of data and a new way of thinking about my problem which has helped me crack it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Probably impossible to advise without seeing your swing but what you need is one positive swing thought which will stop the hook and focus on that.
A lesson will most likely be your best option.

phillarrow

Visit site
In reply to the question about getting rid of swing thoughts, I'm exactly the same. I only ever play decent golf when my head is totally empty (which happens less than people might think - before I get any smart-alec replies! ;) )
One thing I've tried that has worked at times is to say something to myself as I swing. Not out loud of course, just in my head.
For putting, I count: 1, 2, 3, 4. With 1 and 2 being the back swing, 3 and 4 being the through swing and the ball being hit at about 3.5!
For a full swing, I use "One hundred and one." With "One hundred being the backswing", "and" being a slight pause and "one" being the downswing. When it works, I feel like my timing and rhythm is better. When it doesn't I just try to turn my brain off completely!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In reply to the question about getting rid of swing thoughts, I'm exactly the same. I only ever play decent golf when my head is totally empty (which happens less than people might think - before I get any smart-alec replies! ;) )
One thing I've tried that has worked at times is to say something to myself as I swing. Not out loud of course, just in my head.
For putting, I count: 1, 2, 3, 4. With 1 and 2 being the back swing, 3 and 4 being the through swing and the ball being hit at about 3.5!
For a full swing, I use "One hundred and one." With "One hundred being the backswing", "and" being a slight pause and "one" being the downswing. When it works, I feel like my timing and rhythm is better. When it doesn't I just try to turn my brain off completely!
Distracting the brain, so that the swing flows smoothly (as opposed to jigs and jags from reactive adjustments) is a great technique. I have an acquaintance who is happy to be known as 'Putting thought'!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

This is exactly what I try to do, with different words. The only down side, is I quite often forget by the second or third hole :oops:

phillarrow

Visit site
Distracting the brain, so that the swing flows smoothly (as opposed to jigs and jags from reactive adjustments) is a great technique. I have an acquaintance who is happy to be known as 'Putting thought'!

Is your 'acquaintance' a curvy lady by any chance? Is this how you distract your brain? :unsure:;):LOL:

phillarrow

Visit site
This is exactly what I try to do, with different words. The only down side, is I quite often forget by the second or third hole :oops:

Yep, that sounds about right! :rolleyes: I regularly, for example, duff a chip and THEN remember to keep a bit more of my weight on my left side! D'oh!!! :oops:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Couple of thoughts that may help:

1. Don't take any practice swings, pick your club, your line and then address the ball and hit it.

2. Get to the range and whilst aiming straight ahead, hit one ball left, one ball right, one ball straight. Don't worry about the shape, just hit it left, right and centre. Treat it as a reset.

RichA

Visit site
Couple of thoughts that may help:

1. Don't take any practice swings, pick your club, your line and then address the ball and hit it.

2. Get to the range and whilst aiming straight ahead, hit one ball left, one ball right, one ball straight. Don't worry about the shape, just hit it left, right and centre. Treat it as a reset.
Agree, except when warming up, ditch practice swings.
I bet your grip is too tight, try and relax.
That's interesting. I've not bothered with practice swings since I realised that the one that counts rarely copies the practice, but didn't know that it was "a thing."
What's the rationale for ditching practice swings?

I'm also interested in DeanoMK's other tip. I often do this accidentally on the first fairway. It would be nice to get it out of the way before I start counting strokes - how does it help?

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
That's interesting. I've not bothered with practice swings since I realised that the one that counts rarely copies the practice, but didn't know that it was "a thing."
What's the rationale for ditching practice swings?

I'm also interested in DeanoMK's other tip. I often do this accidentally on the first fairway. It would be nice to get it out of the way before I start counting strokes - how does it help?

Re: practice swings, for me it's about saving energy. If hitting driver I might take a few swings from behind the ball, looking at the target, but they're normally just fluid swings, no intent behind them.

With regards to the 'reset', it's all about outcome goals, there shouldn't be any thoughts about the how or why, all you're looking to do is hit it into those areas. Once you can do that, it should make hitting your normal shot a bit easier and hopefully without too much thought.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Practice swings are worth it if you’re trying to feel a feeling.

Tiger used to do quite an exaggerated one, I’m sure lots of pros do.

I think a practice swing with intent, be it a feeling, or no feeling at all, is good. Just a habitual one, less so

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Practice swings are worth it if you’re trying to feel a feeling.

Tiger used to do quite an exaggerated one, I’m sure lots of pros do.

I think a practice swing with intent, be it a feeling, or no feeling at all, is good. Just a habitual one, less so

I am working on not fanning the club on the takeaway so my practice swing has me feeling the club is looking at the ball for longer. Get to the to and then feel like I have room to swing through. Really try to get the feel so not a proper practice swing as such