Paralympics 2024

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a look at the medal table this morning. Amazed that the US are such a distant 3rd. Have they not embraced Paralympics? With their resources, number of people etc, they should be challenging China at the top of the board.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a look at the medal table this morning. Amazed that the US are such a distant 3rd. Have they not embraced Paralympics? With their resources, number of people etc, they should be challenging China at the top of the board.
It is an interesting point especially when you consider how their injured servicemen have embraced the Invictus games.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

I've not looked to check but possibly a lack of funding for their paralympians?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've not looked to check but possibly a lack of funding for their paralympians?
I'm sure you are right but that itself is very surprising. The US seem to value their athletes so I would have expected a big program for the Paralympics. I'd have thought they would want to top the table, as per the Olympics.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure you are right but that itself is very surprising. The US seem to value their athletes so I would have expected a big program for the Paralympics. I'd have thought they would want to top the table, as per the Olympics.

I always thought Track & Field struggled to get mainstream media and support in the US but could be wrong. Football, Basketball and Baseball (Ice Hockey too?) so dominant.

Maybe @Pathetic Shark will shed more light...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always thought Track & Field struggled to get mainstream media and support in the US but could be wrong. Football, Basketball and Baseball (Ice Hockey too?) so dominant.

It might not get the same coverage as those main sports but there is clearly enough money pumped in so that they are strong in track and field at the Olympics, or am I wrong and they pick up most of their medals elsewhere? I'm intrigued as to why this isn't replicated at Paralympics level.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It might not get the same coverage as those main sports but there is clearly enough money pumped in so that they are strong in track and field at the Olympics, or am I wrong and they pick up most of their medals elsewhere? I'm intrigued as to why this isn't replicated at Paralympics level.

Being blunt

Because they don’t see them on the same level as other athletes

The perception of disability in the country as a whole isn’t great

Corporate America will dig deeps for their top able bodied sports but won’t for any disability sports

And because a lack of funding , lack of success then they have little interest in it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Being blunt

Because they don’t see them on the same level as other athletes

The perception of disability in the country as a whole isn’t great

Corporate America will dig deeps for their top able bodied sports but won’t for any disability sports

And because a lack of funding , lack of success then they have little interest in it
But the Invictus games has a strong following - https://invictusteamus.com/ Is that because the US see their service personnel in a much higher light than perhaps other nations do and so want this recognition for them?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site

There is no coverage of the paralympics at all in the main American media. The four main sports, football, baseball, basketball and hockey dominate. Throw in women's soccer, NASCAR, Indycar and then the whole college scene and there is no room for anything else. Which is why no-one there gives a toss about LIV golf either. The PGA Tour and majors are all anyone who has an interest in golf cares about.

The Invictus games? That is all about self-publicity for a former Prince and his appalling wife.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
There is no coverage of the paralympics at all in the main American media. The four main sports, football, baseball, basketball and hockey dominate. Throw in women's soccer, NASCAR, Indycar and then the whole college scene and there is no room for anything else. Which is why no-one there gives a toss about LIV golf either. The PGA Tour and majors are all anyone who has an interest in golf cares about.

The Invictus games? That is all about self-publicity for a former Prince and his appalling wife.

Couldn’t be more wrong if you tried

And certainly got nothing to do with his wife - started before he even met him

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

What about Diamond League, Worlds and Olympic track and field? I get the impression from my US based sister that they're not so well covered on TV either?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I'd agree 100% originally - not quite so sure on the motives now, or at least any involvement from MM.

The Invictus Games saves lives and that’s one of the reasons why he started it , it gave those injured some meaning in their life. I’m never interested in his relationship with his wife and royal family and what’s happening there but when it comes to the Invictus he has always tried to keep that separate from everything

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What about Diamond League, Worlds and Olympic track and field? I get the impression from my US based sister that they're not so well covered on TV either?
Also non-events in the American sporting world unfortunately. Last weekend was the first full slate of college football games which dominated proceedings. The NFL kicks off this weekend. High school football is Friday night. Track and field is something people might participate in at college but no-one really cares. I have often been on American radio talking about this kind of thing.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I’ve tried watching some of the Paralympics in the past,but I can’t get into it.
I like the Olympics as it’s the fastest,strongest…. Etc.