par 3's

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
could you by any chance finish a course with 15, 16, 17 and 18 being par 3's? is there anything that states you cant have a run of par 3s when designing a course.

No idea. I was going to say that I think it wouldn't make the course popular... but then it would certainly be talked about so it might be really busy!

I prefer NOT to have the 18th as a par 3 as it always feels like a weak finish.

Par3 holes for 15, 16, 17 sounds kinda cool (would be like an 'Amen Corner' of sorts) but there should be a really good par4/5 to finish in my opinion.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Par 3s on my course are 2, 6, 8, 11, 13, 14 and 16. Of those only 2, 11 and 13 are less than 180 yds from the yellows, and 2 is called the Needle, which describes the green perfectly:temper::eek:

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No idea. I was going to say that I think it wouldn't make the course popular... but then it would certainly be talked about so it might be really busy!

I prefer NOT to have the 18th as a par 3 as it always feels like a weak finish.

Par3 holes for 15, 16, 17 sounds kinda cool (would be like an 'Amen Corner' of sorts) but there should be a really good par4/5 to finish in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree with you but at our place, if it was a choice of keeping the 3-3 finish, or getting rid of one to create a par 4 which may not be any better, I'd keep it as it is.

17 and 18 are both good holes and you wouldn't want to lose either of them - 18 is the signature hole. If it was up to me, I might try and rearrange the sequencing of holes somehow and finish on our 16th, which is a tough par 4 of about 450yds, but I can't see a way of re-routing the course to make that possible.

And, more to the point, it's not up to me. Which is probably for the best.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have 4, the first of these being the SI17 second. Around 175 yards off the whites, anything left of straight catches the trees all the way to the green, a block right or slice puts you into a copse right of the green and 4 greenside bunkers. That early in the round it plays tougher than 17 IMO.

Owing to the weather and fairways being waterlogged 2 of par 4's were shortened to par 3's, making 13, 14, 15 and 16 all par 3's. Parred them all including the 2 par 3's on the front 9 in a winter stableford comp on Saturday - most unlike me! :D

Boat of Gartang (sp?) starts with a shortish par 3 from memory.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Depends what type of par 3 they are if they were 4x220yard beasts it might have an adverse effect.

To me you'd need a mix of yardages and try for short with something a bit special on the last!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have 4, the first of these being the SI17 second. Around 175 yards off the whites, anything left of straight catches the trees all the way to the green, a block right or slice puts you into a copse right of the green and 4 greenside bunkers. That early in the round it plays tougher than 17 IMO.

Owing to the weather and fairways being waterlogged 2 of par 4's were shortened to par 3's, making 13, 14, 15 and 16 all par 3's. Parred them all including the 2 par 3's on the front 9 in a winter stableford comp on Saturday - most unlike me! :D

Boat of Gartang (sp?) starts with a shortish par 3 from memory.

Its Boat of Garten, its in Scotland not the Southern Cape of Africa;)

and 189 off the medal is not that short, esp as its been changed since you played after the CS meet, more bunkers.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we played off the yellow thats about 165. they took the big tree on the right away and stuck in a couple of extra bunkers and did something to the green, but it didn't look any different to me.