Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok in Melton yesterday. Tesco have put aside part of the car park to keep queues out the way. All pumps open and queued for maybe 10 minutes. Tank full again

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brief answer...

Continental jounrnies are often shorter and overnight facilities much better on the occasions where a layover is needed. Industrial zones more concentrated etc

There's more to it than that but I've a feeling most readers will gave dozed off!

I don't know if you think the Road Hauliers Association membership approaches your level of expertise, although some of them may have been involved more recently than the 90s ......

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 17.42.47.png

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Apparently I am expecting a letter to get me ‘back to driving’.

I have seen more articles of Germans being asked to drive than actual examples of other Germans receiving that letter.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't know if you think the Road Hauliers Association membership approaches your level of expertise, although some of them may have been involved more recently than the 90s ......

View attachment 38769

Since they asked for advice I'll leave you to judge and make your mind up -which I suspect you have already done. I'll not waste others' time by further cross-chat.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

View attachment 38769
Somehow I don't think many Hauliers are going to say the problem is due to their own actions. They've relied on cheap labour and suppressed conditions for their employees. They've had years to address training, recruitment and wage rates and have ignored the poor working conditions Drivers have to endure.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Fairly rural where I live, suspect the local town is one of those red spots on the graph. Was off to golf course this morning, which is also rural and I pass 2 fuel stations so thought I'd look. First was totally empty, good clear signs out. Second one had petrol and diesel, limited to £30. So took advantage, over half a tank so good for a while.

D

Deleted member 18588

Somehow I don't think many Hauliers are going to say the problem is due to their own actions. They've relied on cheap labour and suppressed conditions for their employees. They've had years to address training, recruitment and wage rates and have ignored the poor working conditions Drivers have to endure.
Surely that survey has questioned the wrong people.

It is the drivers who have left whose opinions should have been sought.

Not many RHA members will confess that rates of pay and conditions have been responsible for them not being able to recruit.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Driving on the M25 towards Kent. There were signs that the Services between J5-J6 had diesel. So went in only to see two attendants not letting cars in and asking them to drive on!!

Then suddenly they allowed the car in front of us into the forecourt. Then asked us to drive on. Asked him why they let the other car in.. ‘she is a nurse!!’ Loved it.

As we drive off, asked the mrs why she did not say who she was.. Mrs said she did not plan to use this car for work next week. She was going to queue up with her car on Monday. Not sure I knew if to cry or to laugh.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driving on the M25 towards Kent. There were signs that the Services between J5-J6 had diesel. So went in only to see two attendants not letting cars in and asking them to drive on!!

Then suddenly they allowed the car in front of us into the forecourt. Then asked us to drive on. Asked him why they let the other car in.. ‘she is a nurse!!’ Loved it.

As we drive off, asked the mrs why she did not say who she was.. Mrs said she did not plan to use this car for work next week. She was going to queue up with her car on Monday. Not sure I knew if to cry or to laugh.

Dunno if your wife is being commendable or one of them situations when the penny hasnt dropped

D

Deleted member 15344

Went to the Tesco garage this morning to get my coffee , no queues and a few empty pumps. Morrison’s - about 20 cars queuing ?‍♂️

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My Daughter just informed me that a petrol station on the Chiswick high road roundabout has petrol at £2.93 a litre ?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My Daughter just informed me that a petrol station on the Chiswick high road roundabout has petrol at £2.93 a litre ?
That explains why there wasn’t a queue when I went past it on Thursday. Jet a couple of hundred meters down the road was shut.

The ‘secret station’ in that wider area seems to be Tesco behind Twickenham stadium. Our local FB group often mentions that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One thing I have noticed having done a lot of driving this last two weeks is the total absence of the vehicles of the big European haulage companies that were so very obvious all over the UK, I’m thinking of such as Danzas, Nedlloyd, and Kuhn and Nagel. I didn’t see one single one on the drive from Perth to Farnham today…not one (though I wasn’t able to watch other side too much), but what struck me by their total absence was…what were they all transporting to the UK that isn’t being transported now, and likewise what were they taking back?

I also noticed in passing on the M74 in the borders near Dumfries a whole fleet of Currie Solutions UK and European haulage trucks parked up…and I didn’t even know they were based there having never noticed the trucks before. I didn’t see if same was for Eddie Stobart outside Carlisle, but I could count on one hand the number of ES trucks I saw on the way..in fact I only recall seeing two.

I guess that this is all indicative of the haulage issues the industry and country are facing at the moment.

Plus…Only petrol at Oxford M40 services; only HGV fuel at Beaconsfield M40 services, and no fuel at Fleet M3. Not good,

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

Hope people remember this and they go bust.

Unfortunately they won't. Same happened with Ryanair and the likes when they shafted their customers with refunds.

The same people cryarsing are the same ones who are now booking cheap flights for next years holidays with the same firm......

D

Deleted member 1740

One thing I have noticed having done a lot of motorway driving this last two weeks is the total absence of the vehicles of the big European haulage companies that were so very obvious all over the UK, I’m thinking of such as Danzas, Nedlloyd, and Kuhn and Nagel. I didn’t see one single one on the drive from Perth to Farnham today…not one (though I wasn’t able to watch other side too much), but what struck me by their total absence was…what were they all transporting to the UK that isn’t being transported now, and likewise what were they taking back?

I also noticed in passing on the M74 in the borders a whole fleet of Currie European trucks parked up…didn’t see if same was for Eddie Stobart outside Carlisle, but I could count on one hand the number of ES trucks I saw on the way..in fact I only recall seeing two.

I guess that this is all indicative of the haulage issues the industry and country are facing at the moment.

Plus…Only petrol at Oxford M40 services; only HGV fuel at Beaconsfield M40 services, and no fuel at Fleet M3. Not good,

It must be a southern thing because everywhere I've been to around liverpool and upto Wigan,bar 1 garage, has all had petrol and diesel.

I usually only use shell Vpower but they never had any so I just put standard diesel in.

Some, not all, of the queues have been down to thicko's waiting to see which lane becomes free 1st instead of parking in behind the furthest away then causing a massive tailback to get fuel.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing I have noticed having done a lot of driving this last two weeks is the total absence of the vehicles of the big European haulage companies that were so very obvious all over the UK, I’m thinking of such as Danzas, Nedlloyd, and Kuhn and Nagel. I didn’t see one single one on the drive from Perth to Farnham today…not one (though I wasn’t able to watch other side too much), but what struck me by their total absence was…what were they all transporting to the UK that isn’t being transported now, and likewise what were they taking back?

I also noticed in passing on the M74 in the borders near Dumfries a whole fleet of Currie Solutions UK and European haulage trucks parked up…and I didn’t even know they were based there having never noticed the trucks before. I didn’t see if same was for Eddie Stobart outside Carlisle, but I could count on one hand the number of ES trucks I saw on the way..in fact I only recall seeing two.

We use Kuehne & Nagel at work amongst other freight companies. They are as busy as ever but you won't have seen many on the road today. They would have trunked freight down on Friday evening to their southern depot, Dartford I think, before they get sorted and set off across Europe. They don't travel north to South on a Saturday or Sunday, on the whole. There may be some exceptions but that is generally how it works.

European hauliers are very much still working here. The depots are here, as they are across Europe. Hauliers are European, not just EU hauliers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It must be a southern thing because everywhere I've been to around liverpool and upto Wigan,bar 1 garage, has all had petrol and diesel.

I usually only use shell Vpower but they never had any so I just put standard diesel in.

Some, not all, of the queues have been down to thicko's waiting to see which lane becomes free 1st instead of parking in behind the furthest away then causing a massive tailback to get fuel.
All was good also up in Scotland, limits in some stations, but most seemed operating pretty much as normal. We topped up in Gretna services just in case there were issues further south as I could see we’d be tight with what we had in tank, and there was a £35 maximum, but no queues anything out of ordinary.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We use Kuehne & Nagel at work amongst other freight companies. They are as busy as ever but you won't have seen many on the road today. They would have trunked freight down on Friday evening to their southern depot, Dartford I think, before they get sorted and set off across Europe. They don't travel north to South on a Saturday or Sunday, on the whole. There may be some exceptions but that is generally how it works.
Now I never knew that - but now I do. Interesting. Perhaps the same for other EU hauliers then. I just thought that if they werent here then what was not coming. But not the case.