Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Still crap around here..
One garage opens and the hoardes descend...
One of the Tesco stations had diesel this morning but, from what I could see, every transit sized van or slightly bigger in the whole of eternity was already in the queue.
Unsurprisingly they have no diesel now.....
Still not been able to refill and im just going to take the rest of the week off.
I have enough to get me to and from the club a few times but nothing more.

Almost feels like a semi-lockdown.......:oops:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still crap around here..
One garage opens and the hoardes descend...
One of the Tesco stations had diesel this morning but, from what I could see, every transit sized van or slightly bigger in the whole of eternity was already in the queue.
Unsurprisingly they have no diesel now.....
Still not been able to refill and im just going to take the rest of the week off.
I have enough to get me to and from the club a few times but nothing more.

Almost feels like a semi-lockdown.......:oops:

Maybe if they had told petrol stations to fill up to key workers only during lockdown people would have had to stick to it more

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe if they had told petrol stations to fill up to key workers only during lockdown people would have had to stick to it more
As I think you pointed out earlier in this thread, half the country or more seemed to qualify as a key worker so I am not sure adding that to the restriction makes much difference.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I think you pointed out earlier in this thread, half the country or more seemed to qualify as a key worker so I am not sure adding that to the restriction makes much difference.

The first proper lockdown key workers were key workers

The roads were dead on my way to work .. I used to cruise in at 50. About 5 other cars. Bearly used fuel as was never traffic

Petrol stations closed as lack of business

Price fell through the floor

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

The roads were dead on my way to work .. I used to cruise in at 50. About 5 other cars. Bearly used fuel as was never traffic

It was not as cut and dried as that. I'm not classed as a key worker yet went to work every day through that time. Roads were quieter, happy days, but firms closed all over for a period until they realised this was going to be a long term thing and they had to come up with alternatives. Being a key worker meant your kids could go to school so key workers could carry on working from home, where possible, yet still send their kids in. Being a key worker was a very loose phrase. It was Spartacus all over again :D

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was not as cut and dried as that. I'm not classed as a key worker yet went to work every day through that time. Roads were quieter, happy days, but firms closed all over for a period until they realised this was going to be a long term thing and they had to come up with alternatives. Being a key worker meant your kids could go to school so key workers could carry on working from home, where possible, yet still send their kids in. Being a key worker was a very loose phrase. It was Spartacus all over again :D

At first key workers were the essential workers list

Then loop holes were found to include more and more people

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At first key workers were the essential workers list

Then loop holes were found to include more and more people
The original list must have lasted a matter of days. To be fair to people, some people, we are now very inter linked so simply saying only NHS staff were key (I'm not saying they did but using it as the obvious example as people are doing for fuel) was never going to be enough. As soon as people started to point out how one job supports another the list inevitably had to expand.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The original list must have lasted a matter of days. To be fair to people, some people, we are now very inter linked so simply saying only NHS staff were key (I'm not saying they did but using it as the obvious example as people are doing for fuel) was never going to be enough. As soon as people started to point out how one job supports another the list inevitably had to expand.

My mates firm infuriated me and her..she was refused work from home (when pregnant) even tho she had throughout first lockdown

They claimed they supplied the NHS stuff so key workers ok yes delivery and warehouse .. but her role is admin and finance? She can work from home anytime

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The petrol stations are to blame as well, they should have a £25 cap per customer to stop hoarding of fuel in cars or cans that simply isn't required. But they don't care, as they get to hike the prices up and make more money.

Personally I'd say £25 MINIMUM spend ... But no Jerry cans unless you have proof of business need.

4LEX

Visit site
But how do you distinguish between those who are hoarding/buying more than they need and those who drive miles and don’t want to have to go through the battle of refilling every £25?

Must admit it’s a disgrace that the petrol stations are allowed to jack up prices, pure profiteering especially as there isn’t a shortage!

The idea would be it would end the panic buying and stop stations running dry, so those who need to drive further can top up for £25 again. Not perfect I know.

Hopefully we're at the point now, where the panic buyers have full tanks and won't use the fuel for months, so they won't need to clog up the stations again.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I just took the Father in Law out for a quick lunchtime drive. I passed two local stations. One Esso, one BP. Both were open, with fuel. No queues. Price for the petrol was £1.359 at Esso and £1.379 at the BP garage but they're always more expensive than the local supermarkets. Diesel at both was £1.399. For a small remuneration, I will pass on the details.......... :whistle:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Ill never forget driving to work on the day after the lockdown announcement.

15 miles down the M5, J6-J4, I saw one car my side of the road and only 2 going the other way at 7.30am.

Felt like I was in a zombie movie!!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from towing the caravan up to the site where we are leaving it for all of October. Quite low on diesel on the drive home. Passed a Morrisons and Tesco that both had no fuel but BP did so put £40 in. Mrs Colch asked why I didn't fill it up. I said, "because we don't need to". That will do us for the next couple of weeks, especially as my car is almost full and we only use her car for towing or longer trips. Every day use is my car.