Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed, as a head of marketing for a financial services company i'm included.

Do I need special access to fuel? No.

Plus the cynic in me thinks that you would need to associate a car with an ID badge or you will have people filling up cars for their friends and family.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is, however, a wonderful irony that we have had a few weeks of people complaining that they do not need to go back to the office and can work from home post pandemic and now we have the world and his wife arguing that they need petrol to get in to the office to work.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Plus the cynic in me thinks that you would need to associate a car with an ID badge or you will have people filling up cars for their friends and family.
We could make key workers drive a Fiat Multipla or Crysler PT Cruiser. No one else would want to be seen in one.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is basically your fault.;)

Pity we don’t have lessons in not being a dick.( general public do qualify.)

Most NHS staff were off work during the pandemic due to the kids being off school.
So add Teachers and school staff to that list.
Are you advocating National Service ? ?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I find it interesting that a situation initially caused by a small minority of panic buyers has resulted in a much larger section of the public being forced to join in.

Exhibit #1: myself. We need to visit my elderly mother-in-law on Thursday. I had enough petrol to get there, but not back. Under normal circumstances I'd have driven there and filled up before returning. But current circumstances mean I can't risk that, so today I made a special journey to Tescos, joined the queue, and filled up before I would normally have done. I've effectively been forced to become part of the problem and make it marginally worse.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Because there is still only a limited number of drivers with the necessary licences.

The military " commandeering", if necessary, the tankers means that the licenses you speak of ,don't come into it.
The military have drivers who can drive tankers. They have been given training how to load and unload fuel from them: they are tasked to drive the tankers and deliver fuel.
Licences? What licences. ? You are talking about the military!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
From experience putting military on the streets for anything causes more public concern not less.

It did result in a good number of well made cakes though.

This isn't a military junta situation?

This is a reassurance that something is being done to relieve a situation about which the public already have a concern.
When Drs are expressing concern that they cannot properly do their jobs because of this situation, then there is some concern, methinks.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the shortage is of numbers of drivers why won't the military drivers be using existing tankers?
Not sure how that would work legally. Military vehicles are not fitted with tachographs so the drivers dont need to have a card, and the necessary cpc training for a commercial hgv licence. I assume there must be some sort of emergency legislation to allow them to drive vehicles fitted with tachos, but who knows?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how that would work legally. Military vehicles are not fitted with tachographs so the drivers dont need to have a card, and the necessary cpc training for a commercial hgv licence. I assume there must be some sort of emergency legislation to allow them to drive vehicles fitted with tachos, but who knows?

I'm sure it would be suspended in such situations

Just like the Monopoly laws to try and help

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gosh, there are several threads that cannot be anything else... Given the context of what it replied to, I'd would have hoped that you would have seen the attempt at humour or the irony of certain left-leaning members of this esteemed forum calling for "troops on the streets!"

Apologies for any offence caused!

This situation is one of Joe Public's own making. Sadly.

It could indeed be ironic, although the lefties you reference may be happy to see it as a front page symbol of a Govt having lost control.

Personally, I think the Daily Wail regular story of troops on the streets, in the hospitals, manning the toilet roll aisle in Morrisons, whatever, has dulled the likely public response somewhat.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The military " commandeering", if necessary, the tankers means that the licenses you speak of ,don't come into it.
The military have drivers who can drive tankers. They have been given training how to load and unload fuel from them: they are tasked to drive the tankers and deliver fuel.
Licences? What licences. ? You are talking about the military!
Who have to have the same licences as the public to drive on public roads.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
This isn't a military junta situation?

This is a reassurance that something is being done to relieve a situation about which the public already have a concern.
When Drs are expressing concern that they cannot properly do their jobs because of this situation, then there is some concern, methinks.

If they are to be used so that the public can panic buy, apparently, according to the news they will be ready in 5 days.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Once the military is mobilised can they use it to hunt turkeys? I would like to see a SAS guy hunting one down. But then, we probably wouldn't see him, we would just suddenly not see the turkey anymore.