Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Receptionist at our lasses work claimed she couldn’t get any petrol today so wasn’t coming in. They’ve got a few local independent petrol stations on the books so phoned one up to check availability. Turns out they was just getting filled up and opening to friends and family first £1.40 a litre and cash only. Receptionist was sent to the client.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Assuming that is the case then (ambulances needing to fill up at regular service stations) surely it shows a massive hole in any disaster planning by the NHS/relevant Government depts? Like I said, I always assumed that they’d have special sites to ensure they’d be kept on the road.

I suspect our posts crossed, but as I say emergency services have contingency plans for all sorts of eventualities - a fuel shortage will absolutely be something where plans are in place.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not quite as important as police and ambulance ? but on Sunday morning the Asda filling station was all coned off whilst their delivery vehicles all filled up.....makes perfect sense but riled up some.

Last edited:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My works gets a delivery probbably once a month, our tank is massive. Be interesting to know if there is a contingency, that said if the actual supply levels aren't the issue then there shouldn't be a problem.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given it isn't possible to hoard petrol / diesel, in the long-term consumption is limited by the amount of driving motorists do. On that basis, if there is really no fuel shortage, this "crisis" will be short lived as there will be a return to the same quantities of fuel being bought. I.e. if someone normally runs their car to nearly empty and then puts £20 in as required, them changing to keeping the tank full and topping up with £20 when it has space makes no different to long term demand, once the system has got over the initial shock of so many people that normally do this buying a full tank of fuel at the same time.

Of course, if there is actually a shortage, it will last longer....

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My works gets a delivery probbably once a month, our tank is massive. Be interesting to know if there is a contingency, that said if the actual supply levels aren't the issue then there shouldn't be a problem.
I suspect all they will need to do is re order a few days earlier than normal. Anyone with their own tank should be okay as long as they allow a little longer lead time. In effect, your tank is your contingency. You may also have other equivalents who you can 'borrow ' from, favour to be returned or simply to be paid for.

Are you individually allowed to fill up and pay from your company tank in circumstances like this? It would make some sense. After all, if you can't get into work because your car is empty then who drives the coach or bus?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was at university I earned money at the local steel factory during the holidays. They had their own forecourt where people could fill up from their employees account, so as a temp I didn’t get to use it. It was also diesel only.

With emergency cervices I could imagine they could use MOD forecourts . You can fill a lot of ambulances by not filling a tank once.

But I think CY is right, full is full. People are hardly doing a lap of the M25 just to have space in the tank to queue up again so soon.

Personally I would ‘ban’ jerrycan use for the remainder of the week.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was at university I earned money at the local steel factory during the holidays. They had their own forecourt where people could fill up from their employees account, so as a temp I didn’t get to use it. It was also diesel only.

With emergency cervices I could imagine they could use MOD forecourts . You can fill a lot of ambulances by not filling a tank once.

But I think CY is right, full is full. People are hardly doing a lap of the M25 just to have space in the tank to queue up again so soon.

Personally I would ‘ban’ jerrycan use for the remainder of the week.
Whats a MOD forecourt?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Looks like I'm out early again tomorrow on the hunt...
I've either got to fill up tomorrow or Wednesday morning at the latest otherwise I'm grounded.
Luckily no tests this week but cancelled lessons is loss of income.
All but 2 garages closed all day today..let's hope they get a delivery..

D

Deleted member 15344

There a good number of military bases with their own petrol stations - hopefully local emergency services will be able to use them

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I'd back what @IanM has posted. Boats use what used to be called gas oil, effectively diesel without the duty, so massively cheaper. It may be renamed something else but that is what it was called. This will be readily available at any marina, port etc who will have their own tanks. The story has holes in it.
Perhaps not relevant to the story but the majority of outboard engines run on unleaded petrol.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps not relevant to the story but the majority of outboard engines run on unleaded petrol.
RNLI would need bigger engines than outboards wouldn't they? I don't know for all of their boats, perhaps there is something in that? I'm not a boat person but I did supply fuel to fishing boats and marinas a good few years ago. Always g/o.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I wasn't planning on looking until mid-week but had to pop into town for some shopping, and as there are 4 fuel garages in a small area I did a quick tour. As expected all of them out.
Just for @pauljames87 I did do some eco-driving on my trip to Surrey on Saturday - although pretty easy with the amount of congestion over that way! 63 mpg there, dropped to 60 for the Sunday return. Not to shabby for an ageing pug 508 (mild) hybrid.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasn't planning on looking until mid-week but had to pop into town for some shopping, and as there are 4 fuel garages in a small area I did a quick tour. As expected all of them out.
Just for @pauljames87 I did do some eco-driving on my trip to Surrey on Saturday - although pretty easy with the amount of congestion over that way! 63 mpg there, dropped to 60 for the Sunday return. Not to shabby for an ageing pug 508 (mild) hybrid.

Nice work!! And if more people did this the fuel would last longer needing less queues

On my 25 mile drive home I got 20 min delay waiting to get onto the a13 because of queues for petrol station!!

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see the government are now going to mobilise the army "as a precaution".... This is how stupid we are as a nation.

I wonder if they'll be armed ??

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unusual knock on effects.... We have an important client presentation, just got a message saying that his daughter's school mini bus service is cancelled for tomorrow due to 'fuel shortage crisis'. He will make the call but will be driving. Good luck closing that deal. There goes the quarter end deal..

A big Fish off to all the morons causing this.. Dont dare even suggest that kids should be walking to school..