Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 15344

Well popped to the garage on the way to golf - Shell have done the decent thing of shoving their prices up - extra 10p a litre now and no surprise there wasn’t much of a queue - went to tescos and not much of a queue as well so managed to fill up. Every garage in the town has run out of diesel though

Morrison’s and Tescos didn’t open until 8 and they had people queuing from 7

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just driven back from Derbyshire. We went through Chesterfield and then up the m1, m18, a1. I didn't pull off any of these and go searching, I didn't need any, but each station I passed had no fuel except Washington services at 159.9p ?. Funny how they still have fuel left ?.

Thankfully I still have a quarter of a tank left so I will be okay until mid week by which point this nonsense should be resolved. I completely feel for those doing journeys right now or who are low. They are stuffed for the next day or 2.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never leave my car with much less than 1/4 tank, which is good for about 120 miles.

I don't get why people leave it till virtually empty every time. Much like my wife does. She had to go get some fuel earlier as she's got an early start and an hours drive in the morning.

The nearest petrol station has run out. Tesco was queing miles, but managed to get some at the 3rd place which was pretty quite.

I try to keep at least 150 miles (1/4 tank) all the time, just in case.
Didn't know anything about a 'crisis' until my daughter said she went to put fuel in on her lunch break as she was almost on empty and couldn't get in at any of the local garages. Tesco had even closed their garage to try and ease the congestion.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What sort of action do you think is required?

Poaching foreign workers from the continent even though there is a shortage their? Seems wrong to me.

It will blow over soon, do you know why? Because there is no fuel shortage. Go on say it…..NO. FUEL. SHORTAGE.
Mobilise service personnel…immediately. Additional visas not kicking in for some time won’t address public concerns that are ‘now‘ concerns. Services can be mobilised in times of civic emergency. There is a drastic shortage of drivers that is causing shortages of fuel at service stations. If public is told that additional drivers will be driving tankers tomorrow then that will surely reduce public concern, and the urge to top up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Mobilise service personnel…immediately. Additional visas not kicking in for some time won’t address public concerns that are ‘now‘ concerns. Services can be mobilised in times of civic emergency. There is a drastic shortage of drivers that is causing shortages of fuel at service stations. If public is told that additional drivers will be driving tankers tomorrow then that will surely reduce public concern, and the urge to top up.

What do you want the service personnel to do ? Is that what they are now - to cover for the UK when their residents act like idiots and sheep

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What do you want the service personnel to do ? Is that what they are now - to cover for the UK when their residents act like idiots and sheep
It is what they do when there is a civic emergency regardless of the cause. By mobilising the services the public should be reassured that filling stations will not run out. When some act illogically to the detriment of others, it is often best to mitigate the impact on the others if an immediate solution is available rather than to try and change the mind of those acting illogically.

Also…Answering the post poll honestly.

Have I bought fuel in a panic…answer No.
Have I bought fuel when I didn’t 100% need to and sooner than I normally would have…answer Yes.

I am in Skye. If I run low as I head to Inverness then I could well be in trouble as their aren’t that many filling stations between here and there. And so I topped up with £20.

Am I part of the problem…Yes I am. But I am only mitigating a risk - I don’t see myself as panic buying. But I could have answered Yes to the poll question. I wonder how many of the rest of us have done something similar as I.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Filling stations would not be running out if thousands of people weren't queuing up to put 15 or 20 quids worth of fuel in.
People are not suddenly driving hundreds of miles more than last week
The majority didn't have to top up
Don't most cars do less than 150 miles a week?
A handful of stations had to close because they missed a delivery due to a driver shortage
Thats all
I think with BP it was 5
And yet the media whipped it up to make a story so every moronic sheep in the country suddenly thinks there's a shortage and I have to fill up now even though they've got 3/4 of a tank and they do 10 miles a day.

D

Deleted member 15344

It is what they do when there is a civic emergency regardless of the cause. By mobilising the services the public should be reassured that filling stations will not run out. When some act illogically to the detriment of others, it is often best to mitigate the impact on the others if an immediate solution is available rather than to try and change the mind of those acting illogically.

Also…Answering the post poll honestly.

Have I bought fuel in a panic…answer No.
Have I bought fuel when I didn’t 100% need to and sooner than I normally would have…answer Yes.

I am in Skye. If I run low as I head to Inverness then I could well be in trouble as their aren’t that many filling stations between here and there. And so I topped up with £20.

Am I part of the problem…Yes I am. But I am only mitigating a risk - I don’t see myself as panic buying. But I could have answered Yes to the poll question. I wonder how many of the rest of us have done something similar as I.

So what do you want the military to do exactly ? Shoot people who are being idiots by panic buying ?

There is no civic “emergency” - the pubic acting like idiots is not an emergency

And as you confirm you are part of the problem by topping up when you don’t need too - you have been told there is no fuel shortage yet you ignore that and go and “top up” - so instead of asking for the military to do whatever it is you want them to do how about you take responsibility of your own actions

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think some people are in denial of their actions and their role in this panic. No wonder we as a country get ourselves in such a mess.

With the fortune of hindsight, what I'd like to have seen was the attendants that have been helping the flow of traffic at garages over the last few days, turning away anyone with 1/2 tank+ of fuel. But I can only imagine the melt downs this would have caused.... Because the world is full of snowflakes at the moment, and they just keep showing themselves.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So what do you want the military to do exactly ? Shoot people who are being idiots by panic buying ?

There is no civic “emergency” - the pubic acting like idiots is not an emergency

And as you confirm you are part of the problem by topping up when you don’t need too - you have been told there is no fuel shortage yet you ignore that and go and “top up” - so instead of asking for the military to do whatever it is you want them to do how about you take responsibility of your own actions
Queues on roads blocking traffic or holding up emergency vehicles and public trying to get to hospital or other important appointment, flight or connection; nurses, doctors and firefighters unable to get to work; taxi drivers unable to work etc. Such things add up to a civic emergency in my mind.

But OK. As you will have it. We do nothing and we absolve the government of any need for it to do anything in the immediate short term. Fine.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think some people are in denial of their actions and their role in this panic. No wonder we as a country get ourselves in such a mess.

With the fortune of hindsight, what I'd like to have seen was the attendants that have been helping the flow of traffic at garages over the last few days, turning away anyone with 1/2 tank+ of fuel. But I can only imagine the melt downs this would have caused.... Because the world is full of snowflakes at the moment, and they just keep showing themselves.
Why I have admitted my part in it. Fuelling up sooner than I would have normally, but I claim mitigating circumstances.

Also not really understanding the reference to ‘snowflakes’ and their part in it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I trust that you read and understand my mitigating circumstances…I feel that I need to be confident that I can get back to the central belt…but I am being honest about it and I am not sure that every poster on this forum has been quite so honest about a little ‘top up’ just in case. Not panicking of course.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Queues on roads blocking traffic or holding up emergency vehicles and public trying to get to hospital or other important appointment, flight or connection; nurses, doctors and firefighters unable to get to work; taxi drivers unable to work etc. Such things add up to a civic emergency in my mind.

But OK. As you will have it. We do nothing and we absolve the government of any need for it to do anything in the immediate short term. Fine.

But you weren't saying that Hugh, were you?

"Mobilise service personnel…immediately. Additional visas not kicking in for some time won’t address public concerns that are ‘now‘ concerns. Services can be mobilised in times of civic emergency. There is a drastic shortage of drivers that is causing shortages of fuel at service stations. If public is told that additional drivers will be driving tankers tomorrow then that will surely reduce public concern, and the urge to top up. "

D

Deleted member 15344

Queues on roads caused by idiots is not an emergency

Again what do you want the military to do exactly ?

Do you think of that when you were queuing for petrol that you didn’t really need

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

You are not allowed to suggest that the services should step in to help out. It might make them feel a bit sad.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Some super inconsistencies from my mate who seems to get a free pass on political comments when others do not,

I guess the Govt could close down the parts of the press who whipped this up, but of course that would be Boris exceeding his powers ?

Of course our correspondent must be approaching death by starvation due to Brexit by now. His supermarket shelves have been empty since Easter. This will be the final straw eh?

Short term action is, it’ll sort itself quickly as you can only put a finite amount of fuel in a car?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But you weren't saying that Hugh, were you?

"Mobilise service personnel…immediately. Additional visas not kicking in for some time won’t address public concerns that are ‘now‘ concerns. Services can be mobilised in times of civic emergency. There is a drastic shortage of drivers that is causing shortages of fuel at service stations. If public is told that additional drivers will be driving tankers tomorrow then that will surely reduce public concern, and the urge to top up. "
Well you have highlighted much of what I have said so don‘t get your point. I don’t think anything you’ve highlighted is untrue or even exaggerated…or am I missing something…Maybe I should have been more explicit and said some service stations, but I think that we all know it isn’t all. And we know that some are closing because some drivers are panic buying.