Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brilliant drive home.. m25 instead of a13.. junction 28 closed due to petrol station on the roundabout out of fuel and idiots queuing

And guess what? They queue for the closed junction

Morons

D

Deleted member 23270

?

I've got 40 mile range left and was
Going to put £10 in to see me through the week as we’re away next weekend and so will fill up then.

Is that ok with you?
No worries, your post suggested to me that you had fuel but were topping your tank back up to full.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Alarmist media need reigning in. They’ve had a good run over the past few months, battering us relentlessly around the head with relentless doom and gloom about Covid. Still it goes on. ‘Plan for the worst’, wails The Mirror. ‘It’s back to panic stations!’ screeches The Mail.

They’ve positively relished it, but Covid’s become a bit of a broken record now as far as working up a sense of alarm is concerned. Our senses have become dulled, so now they’ve got to find other things in their attempts to scare us.
Various headlines I’ve seen include….

-‘Prepare for winter of discontent’; The Guardian

-‘UK energy crisis to drive up cost of living’; The i

-‘We’ll meat again: we’re set to run out of pork, lamb, chicken and turkey in just
days’; The Daily Star

-‘Energy firms will be left to collapse’; The Times

- ‘Asteroid extinction event next month: Adonis blames Brexit’; The Daily Yell (I made that one up?)

It’s eco-crisis, it’s housing crisis, it’s transport crisis, it’s NHS crisis. It CO2 crisis! No wonder so many people have mental health issues, (which itself is a crisis because of crisis of the NHS backlog caused by Covid crisis)

It’s all so exhausting I think I should go back to bed ?
You do understand that this is the same alarmist media that has screamed headlines over the years at all things they dont like or think outrageous…the same media that tries to make us all angry over the slightest thing. You can’t pick and choose when you want the free press and media to be shouting and when you‘d rather they kept quiet. Besides in this instance the PM made a pronouncement - surely it is absolutely responsible of the media to report that pronouncement and why it was made.

Sorry - but this whole thread verges and teeters on the political …. I hope I have simply made a point in defence of the media reporting of this; and that this is not deemed a political post as I do not make any comment explicit or implied whatsoever in support or in criticism of the words of our PM in this context. Just that our PM made a pronouncement on a very significant matter of importance to the public.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Or maybe its the Boomers who took all the money and pulled up the ladder behind them?
Many of them grew up in real poverty and then just did what they could to get by, life wasn't all beer and skittles. Do you honestly believe these 'Boomers' probably including your parents made a conscious effort to take all the money and pull up the ladder, Really!

D

Deleted member 18588

You do understand that this is the same alarmist media that has screamed headlines over the years at all things they dont like or think outrageous…the same media that tries to make us all angry over the slightest thing. You can’t pick and choose when you want the free press and media to be shouting and when you‘d rather they kept quiet. Besides in this instance the PM made a pronouncement - surely it is absolutely responsible of the media to report that pronouncement and why it was made.

Sorry - but this whole thread verges and teeters on the political …. I hope I have simply made a point in defence of the media reporting of this; and that this is not deemed a political post as I do not make any comment explicit or implied whatsoever in support or in criticism of the words of our PM in this context. Just that our PM made a pronouncement on a very significant matter of importance to the public.
I'm afraid that I fail to see anything that the PM has said that would prompt or encourage the panic buying of fuel.

And I speak as one who is not supportive of the current Government but who does think that it is time the public were held responsible for their own stupidity.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Many of them grew up in real poverty and then just did what they could to get by, life wasn't all beer and skittles. Do you honestly believe these 'Boomers' probably including your parents made a conscious effort to take all the money and pull up the ladder, Really!
Of course not.

My comment was just to show how rediculous sweeping generalisations are.

Seems it's ok to label an entire generation as lazy. Doesn't surprise me on here.

D

Deleted member 18588

Of course not.

My comment was just to show how rediculous sweeping generalisations are.

Seems it's ok to label an entire generation as lazy. Doesn't surprise me on here.
Is that not what you have done in post #100 with your remarks on the over 50's?

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I managed to make my 70 mile round trip this morning without filling up....but I'm now in the dregs in the tank.

I was hoping to fill up on the way but at 7am every station I passed had queues and the main A road was blocked in both directions with people trying to fill up.

I really dislike people

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm afraid that I fail to see anything that the PM has said that would prompt or encourage the panic buying of fuel.

And I speak as one who is not supportive of the current Government but who does think that it is time the public were held responsible for their own stupidity.

It doesn’t matter as in SIlH’s world everything is either due to Boris or brexit

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I said yes but with a proviso in that I was sort of forced into it. I needed petrol early next week, clearly the panic buying was going to cause issues so I filled up when I was doing the shopping. Only queued about 15 minutes. Problem is that the panic buying sort of forced your hand to buy now when you may normally wait a few days. Media tells people that stations are running out so more people panic buy so causes more shortages

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really, this is nothing compared to what we have been through in the past. Back in the 1970s we had a three day week, only certain times of the day when we could use electricity and petrol was in such short supply that ration books were issued. Emergency speed limits were imposed, some of which still remain in use today. In the late 70s there were national strikes where rubbish built up in the streets and in the 90s petrol tanker drivers went on strike and there was a national fuel crisis. So far this weekend there has been panic buying and by the end of the week things will be back to normal.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm down in Derbyshire for the weekend. I've just about got enough to get back but then I might struggle to get to work on Monday. Ideally I'll fill up in the morning so the pressure is off. Once I've done that I'll be fine for the week. I'm slightly nervous about seeing stations tomorrow. Hopefully there won't be issues.

The media have a lot to answer for ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd love to know the average spend at the pump.... Is it £35+ or are people "topping up"
Surely the latter as otherwise we would not be seeing the spike. If this was late July or August then it could be people filling up for holidays but that isn't the case for the bulk here. It is people filling outside of their usual pattern which must equal topping up. Imo anyway ?‍♂️

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of our garages no fuel this morning obviously had a delivery this afternoon. No problem with petrol in the local garage this morning, luckily as I forgot to do my usual Thursday afternoon top up but they had run out of diesel.

D

Deleted member 18588

I’m not saying he has…but he made a pronouncement on the matter and the media has reported it so that the public are informed. So you can’t blame the media, in fact the PM would have absolutely expected the media to report it.
And you don't think the tone of reporting had any effect.

If so I am afraid that you are more gullible than I thought.