Pairs matchplay

Visit site
I had a strange one yesterday. one of my players did not turn up for a match. He was replaced by another member.
This player gave his HI and CH to the opponent who then told him he was to receive 15 shots. My pair then won 2 up but upon sending the result sheet to the other captain, his team mates noticed that this player should have received only 13 shots. I think the players forgot to calculate the 90% allowance.
Is this a disqualification under rule 3.2?
Thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
there are two elements

One
c. Applying Handicaps in Handicap Match
(1) Declaring Handicaps. The player and opponent should tell each other their handicaps before the match.
If a player declares a wrong handicap either before or during the match and does not correct the mistake before the opponent makes his or her next stroke:
Declared Handicap Too High. The player is disqualified if this affects the number of strokes the player gives or gets. If it does not, there is no penalty.

So basically it depends on whether or not he declared the correct Course Handicap

Two

(2) Holes Where Handicap Strokes Applied.
• Handicap strokes are given by hole, and the lower net score wins the hole.

If the players mistakenly apply handicap strokes on a hole, the agreed result of the hole stands, unless the players correct that mistake in time (see Rule 3.2d(3)).

So IMO if the result was agreed with a wrong calculation but correct Course Handicap the result stands.

Visit site
Basically, he gave the other players his HI and his CH and they calculated that he should receive 15 shots but the difference was actually 13 (they forgot the 90% of his CH).
Therefore, he declared the correct handicap but the calculations were wrong. the holes he got extra shots on were won by the opposition anyway.

Swango1980

Visit site
Basically, he gave the other players his HI and his CH and they calculated that he should receive 15 shots but the difference was actually 13 (they forgot the 90% of his CH).
Therefore, he declared the correct handicap but the calculations were wrong. the holes he got extra shots on were won by the opposition anyway.
The opposition were just as much at fault as the player. It sounds like he gave them the correct index / course handicap, but then everyone forgot about the 90% calculation. So, as jim says, result stands.

Although, the correct playing handicap would have been 14, not 13, as 90% of 15 is 13.5. Unless you are in Scotland and the course handicap was between 14.5-14.9, then the Playing Handicap would have been 13.

tobybarker

Visit site
Many people think that you take the difference in handicaps then apply 90 percent to that, in pairs matchplay....often the same result, but not always, due to rounding

Swango1980

Visit site
Many people think that you take the difference in handicaps then apply 90 percent to that, in pairs matchplay....often the same result, but not always, due to rounding
True, I think many still have not caught on this change since the switchover to WHS. Even in our club's Winter League, the rules on howdidido still indicate we should be doing it the old way, I think they just forgot to change them after copying and pasting from previous years.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

We got caught out by this last season, but stuck to it as it was after some matches had been played that we realised our error. At least we know for next season.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There was bit of a dispute in a recent interclub match the home club were insistent it was one way (they wanted the difference then 90%) and us we wanted 90% of CH then the difference.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
There was bit of a dispute in a recent interclub match the home club were insistent it was one way (they wanted the difference then 90%) and us we wanted 90% of CH then the difference.

After our first incident of the same argument earlier this year, I now have a printed copy of page 44 of the CONGU WHS advice which shows a little table of the sequence of events in the correct calculation - that very quickly settles any further debate.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
After our first incident of the same argument earlier this year, I now have a printed copy of page 44 of the CONGU WHS advice which shows a little table of the sequence of events in the correct calculation - that very quickly settles any further debate.
Isn't it wonderful how facts and data kill arguments!! Well done.