Oystercatchers on the course

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We are 10 miles inland rom Turnberry and when we moved here in 1998 Oystercatchers, Curlews and cuckoos were regular 'nesters'.
Have not heard them for at least 5 years now.
Curlews are rare now, they were deemed game birds until 1953 and could be legally shot.
Cuckoos nesters? Aren't they brood parasites - sneaking their eggs into other breeds nests? Or was that the reason for the 's.
Curlews seem to be victims of human intervention in their traditional preferred areas.

Springveldt

Visit site
We had 2 Oystercatcher’s on our course yesterday as well. Bloody noisy things, I was wondering if they were shouting at each other “where’s the bloody water?” as the course is about 6 miles inland. First time I’ve seen them at the course. It’s normally rabbits, deers and squirrels with the odd large bird of prey circling overhead which might be a Buzzard but not sure.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I spotted a couple of Oystercatchers on Bolton golf course last week, a few years ago I was very surprised to see a pair on the Yorkshire moors, they do seem to get around

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I spotted a couple of Oystercatchers on Bolton golf course last week, a few years ago I was very surprised to see a pair on the Yorkshire moors, they do seem to get around
They've been breeding further inland more and more (excuse the 'puns') recently. Though Yorkshire moors can be significantly inland! Diet is pretty gregarious, worms being an important part.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Have you played Durness? I played it twice in glories evenings last summer brilliant stunning place.
I was there about 6 weeks ago, unfortunately it was howling and raining so missed the chance to get out there. So disappointed. Many call it the best 9 holer they've played

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
They've been breeding further inland more and more (excuse the 'puns') recently. Though Yorkshire moors can be significantly inland! Diet is pretty gregarious, worms being an important part.

The one I saw which set off the intrest. Initially I thought it was a magpie at first glance. Then I saw it’s flippin great beak being rammed into the green and thought that’s gonna do some damage. That’s when I realised it was an oystercatcher

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was there about 6 weeks ago, unfortunately it was howling and raining so missed the chance to get out there. So disappointed. Many call it the best 9 holer they've played

That’s a real pity going all that way and not getting a chance to play, yes it’s one of the best 9 holers I’ve played

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s a real pity going all that way and not getting a chance to play, yes it’s one of the best 9 holers I’ve played
I went to play 9 holes at Durness one evening and was told that I had to pay a day ticket price even though the staff member seemed to be preparing to go home.
The fact that the car park had one car in it all day [probably the staff member] made it seem a bit silly so I declined.
Always regretted that.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went to play 9 holes at Durness one evening and was told that I had to pay a day ticket price even though the staff member seemed to be preparing to go home.
The fact that the car park had one car in it all day [probably the staff member] made it seem a bit silly so I declined.
Always regretted that.

Whan I played about 6pm there were only 2 members there I asked if they had electric trolleys for hire, he took me down to the shed and was going to let me use one of the members trolleys, I thanked him and declined and took a pull trolly.

At least you got to see the views ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whan I played about 6pm there were only 2 members there I asked if they had electric trolleys for hire, he took me down to the shed and was going to let me use one of the members trolleys, I thanked him and declined and took a pull trolly.

At least you got to see the views ?
Some beach that.
My wife was recovering from chemo so I did not have a chance for much walking or golf.
Fantastic drive down to Lochinver and a pie.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Oddly enough after todays round the lads were talking about the oystercatchers I saw last week. One of the lads was surprised they caused no damage to the greens with there beaks.