Oystercatchers on the course

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played today and I got down to our 14th green which has a pond running about 150yds down the lhs. I got about 30yds from the green and thought what heck is that. Black and white bird with a flippin great beak. It took off and the black and white colours on its back were gorgeous. For a minute I was watching three of them and just forget about me game.
Thing is I always thought of them as coastal birds. That’s oyster catchers and Mandarin ducks ave seen on the course for the first time this year.
Do like me wildlife on the course.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Craigielaw was a great course to watch wildlife!
Not only were the 'native' hares the logo of the course and entertaining to watch, but early evening/sunset was a great time to watch the many different flavours of geese swoop into Aberlady Bay. Plenty of other birdlife on the hunt for evening food, or simply twittering from a great height!
The Shire London, where I frequently play, also has an incredibly wide range of birdlife. Not only a wide range of Raptors, from sparrow-hawks to magnificent Red Kites, but Swans, Cormorants, and Geese (unfortunately too many Canadian ones, but quite a few Egyptians too) abound. Plenty of fish - carp, trout etc - in the water features too!

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Oystercatchers have been seen at Thornton reservoir near me from time to time and this is about as far from the sea as you can get in England.
If the water level drops, freshwater mussels can be found around the exposed shores. These are an endangered species, but the oystercatchers don't care about that!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
We have a pair of red tailed kites at Westerham GC, and at times they fly really low. Beautiful birds and always make me pause and smile.
I sometimes get the rangefinder out and take a closer look; I never laser them though I hasten to add, just to be very clear in that point!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We get a lot on the course at Nairn, quite a few nest on the course and sometimes the club has to rope off the nests if they are close to the playing area, if you get too close the parents fly straight at you. Some of the locals call them Nairn Penguins ?

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just one of the 'common' birds that were a feature of a pre Sunday Roast wander around Wellington's Greta Point Tavern area when it was actually at Greta Point. Always busy investigating moveable objects to check for anything edible. May annoy farmers with their shrieks, but they were far less aggressive, at least when feeding, than seagulls, so viewed them as 'better'. Always amused to see the occasional (Rugby supporting?) all black variety! No doubt, there were plenty at Aberlady Bay too, but hardly noticeable in amongst the hordes!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site