'Ow Much!?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I know that for various reasons, costs of many things are increasing, but I am finding that the price of golf equipment has risen exponentially. And what seems to be worse (IMHO), is that golfers are getting more accepting of that. We see drivers at £299 being reported as "good value", most single clubs are now well in advance of £100, golf shoes the same, and now I have just seen that the Titleist Hybrid 14 StaDry stand bag has an RRP of £230! I'm not asking the manufacturers to justify that, as I don't think they can, but I do wonder if the bubble on this will burst.
The demand for golf over Covid has undoubtedly allowed prices to escalate. The golf industry has done a great(?) job of getting people to accept these prices, but is it really sustainable?
I don't / won't pay top prices for anything, but obviously the market demand, and extended lead times, is meaning people are having to pay more if they want certain branded equipment.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Prices will stay high while enough people are prepared to pay. Its simple economics and the law of supply and demand - while demand is high, prices will stay high. I'm on a family holiday (no golf) in Kingsbarns atm. I was at the beach which borders the course. Its £346 per round + £55 + tip for a caddie. While we were there, there was a constant flow of four balls, and virtually every player had a caddie. Admittedly they were all Americans, and were unlikely to be paying full price, but even so, the demand is there and at all the courses I have seen here. None of these courses are going to drop their prices when they don't have to and its the same with equipment.
There are enough people still prepared to pay full price for gear to keep the prices high.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
You need to get on the vintage golf train, easily less than £100 for a full set.

Hopefully prices for average classic clubs will never go crazy, although supply is strictly limited.....

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
2nd hand clubs, and last seasons bags, clothing etc is the way to keep the costs down.
The price of new stuff is obscence now - bet you could quite easily spend 3 grand kitting yourself fully out with the top of the range (ish) equipment.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree that second hand is the way to go for clubs if you are seeking value, and know what spec suits you in terms of shaft, flex etc.

What gets me is the cost of clothing. Had a browse in a few pro shops in recent weeks as I was playing inter club matches. Polo shirts and shorts for £50-60 seems to be the norm for golf brands, and even more for the upper end brands. Just crazy! Will be sticking to non golf specific gear when I can.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree that second hand is the way to go for clubs if you are seeking value, and know what spec suits you in terms of shaft, flex etc.

What gets me is the cost of clothing. Had a browse in a few pro shops in recent weeks as I was playing inter club matches. Polo shirts and shorts for £50-60 seems to be the norm for golf brands, and even more for the upper end brands. Just crazy! Will be sticking to non golf specific gear when I can.
Given that you can very easily get good golf brand clothing for £20 a piece online, I have no idea how any shop continues to sell them at those prices.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tbh the thing that appalled me in the "Should I renew" thread was the thought of an average course costing £1600+ a year! My annual subs are £900 a year and I have to think carefully about that. If I lived in the south-east, club membership would be a complete non-starter.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know that for various reasons, costs of many things are increasing, but I am finding that the price of golf equipment has risen exponentially. And what seems to be worse (IMHO), is that golfers are getting more accepting of that. We see drivers at £299 being reported as "good value", most single clubs are now well in advance of £100, golf shoes the same, and now I have just seen that the Titleist Hybrid 14 StaDry stand bag has an RRP of £230! I'm not asking the manufacturers to justify that, as I don't think they can, but I do wonder if the bubble on this will burst.
The demand for golf over Covid has undoubtedly allowed prices to escalate. The golf industry has done a great(?) job of getting people to accept these prices, but is it really sustainable?
I don't / won't pay top prices for anything, but obviously the market demand, and extended lead times, is meaning people are having to pay more if they want certain branded equipment.
Totally agree!
The only response is the standard consumer one - don't buy overpriced kit and let it be known that's why you are not buying!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Unfortunately it’s not just golf gear. Everything has gone stupid In a short period of time. The way things are going I can seriously see a recession around the corner. Like others have said don’t buy it. I was looking in our pro shop on Tuesday at the 20% off sale gear. It is still a ridiculous price with 20% off.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It's everything.

Went into Pizza Express yesterday, 1 dough balls to start, 2 pizzas, 2 soft drinks, just shy of £50!! :eek: They won't be seeing my business again in a hurry.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We probably just see it more easily in golf since we're all a bit obsessed with the game but rising costs is probably affecting every sector

I walked away from buying a pair of golf trousers last weekend because of the £65 price tag, and I've been after these specific ones for some time and happened to see them in stock in my size, correct colour at a store I wont be back in anytime soon

Shame, but it is what it is

HeftyHacker

Visit site
It's everything.

Went into Pizza Express yesterday, 1 dough balls to start, 2 pizzas, 2 soft drinks, just shy of £50!! :eek: They won't be seeing my business again in a hurry.

To be fair does anyone ever pay full price for a pizza express? its one of those places that constantly has deals/vouchers available. Similar with Domino's etc.

Golf equipment is ludicrously expensive though, I've spent a lot of money on my kit but the only things I've paid full price for is my putter (which was a birthday present) and my irons (again, a birthday present... that was a good year). For things I buy myself I end up using the likes of Callaway pre-owned which has so far provided me with 3 clubs that were stated to have been in "average" condition but that have arrived with the stickers still on the faces - ie brand new.

For clothing I just raid the sale rails or county golf, I might not be wearing the latest and greatest but it's all decent gear. I've certainly never paid more than £35 for a polo or £45 for a pair of trousers. My two favourite pairs of shorts were £12 each from Lidl.

Springveldt

Visit site
Unfortunately it’s not just golf gear. Everything has gone stupid In a short period of time. The way things are going I can seriously see a recession around the corner. Like others have said don’t buy it. I was looking in our pro shop on Tuesday at the 20% off sale gear. It is still a ridiculous price with 20% off.
As you say, it's everything and it feels like quite a few places are just profiteering now. Amazon has just put up Prime by 20% as well blaming inflation etc.

Never mind recession I can see mass civil unrest if things continue, especially when the new gas/electricity prices kick in in October. Loads are simply not going to be able to pay it. Are they going to start cutting them off in winter?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've definitely slowed right down with my purchases of golf equipment. There was a time when I was trying something new every couple of months - albeit still buying and selling second hand - but for now I'm fairly satisfied with what I have. I did add a hybrid this year, which cost me £175 from Golfbidder. ?

My irons are getting on 5 years old now and part of me fancies a new set. The issue is I think I'd only get benefit from getting fitted this time, but getting fitted means shelling out for brand new clubs. And if I just get another second hand set I feel like I'm just replacing like for like which is pointless really. My driver was fitted 3 years ago but I had 100 quid in vouchers to knock off the price which eased the blow.

Even putters are silly money. I was fitted for my old Odyssey 5 or so years ago but the putter only cost £140 odd. Nowadays they're over 300. We got my current Evnroll in a 'sale' of sorts last year, but even that was about £250 still. Some of them are touching £400! How much can a putter really do to be worth that?

sjw

Visit site
I just the other day bought 5 polos from County Golf at £3.75 each. I'm not sure some of them will be quite big enough, but at that price it's worth a go. Adidas, FWIW.

AAC

Visit site
Funny to read this in the 5 minutes before I go off to a meeting to discuss escalating construction costs, its the same story in every sector. I do agree however that OEM & Manufacturers have cashed in as much as they can, I think it used to be called profiteering.