'Overweight' players on pro tour..

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Golf is about one thing, being able to consistently deliver the clubhead to the ball time after time and getting the ball in the hole. How athletic you look is nothing to do with it.

I'm pretty sure it was Petterson who tried the modern way of getting fitter and losing weight, completely lost his swing and has now gone back to doing it his way, which involves carrying a few extra pounds.

Personally, as long as they can play golf I don't care what they look like, especially if it means I get to see players like Cabrera hit shots like he hit on the last hole of the masters.

Lets face it, if golf were about being fit and athletic, most of us wouldn't stand a chance!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm on the cuddly side of cuddly. I'm happy with my scores, and there's very little difference between what I shoot nowadays and what I was shooting 10yrs ago and 5 stone lighter.

I don't care if there are cuddly boys on tour and, in truth for me, its nice to know fat boys can play golf.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People who say golf is not a sport are just negative douchebags.

Here is the dictionary.com definition of sport:

1.*an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Athletic activity? Yup, the golf swing definitely requires a degree of athleticism.
Requiring skill? Oh yes.
Physical prowess? Yup.
Often competitive? Very much so, usually more competition in golf than many other "sports"

It ticks every box for sport.

Some people have this strange idea that you must get out of breath for it to be a sport, I think they have confused sport with exercise.

Sport is and always has been about competing at something requiring skill and physical ability.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
However I really don't like to see fat players on tour and don't think it does the game of golf many favours, especially when looked at by non-golfing eyes.
Your thoughts?

I think you shouldn't watch.

Personally I find the wide range of physical shapes represented on the course to be extremely encouraging in the wider 'inclusive' objective of Golf - the sport.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
seeing 'overweight' golfers on the PGA doesnt hinder golf one bit..

..if anything it encourages those on the stocky side that anything is possible.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Overweight golfers don't bother me , I am one... But overweight pros I'm not keen on.

Yes it represents and relates to club golfers and gives the impression fitness doesn't matter..... But as a pro sports man with commitments to your sponsors, and commitment to achieving your best results, the fitter you are and more supple should help deliver these results.

To me a pro golfer should spend time in the gym for core strength , suppleness and flexibility , but more important for general fitness to ensure endurance is at a maximum,

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think having different shapes and sizes on tour only adds to the uniqueness of Golf,and will encourage more people to take it up, after all what other sport lets a grandson play a competitive round against his grandfather? Well,apart from darts!

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think having different shapes and sizes on tour only adds to the uniqueness of Golf,and will encourage more people to take it up, after all what other sport lets a grandson play a competitive round against his grandfather? Well,apart from darts!

Snooker:) I agree though it all adds to the uniqueness of it. A game anyone can play

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry but people saying walking 4 rounds requires any sort of fitness is a laugh. They don't pull carts or carry clubs. They literally walk approx 4.5 miles each round, say 5 taking into account walks to tees.

If anyone can't walk 5 miles a day and swing a club 40 times then putt 32 times then they have serious medical issues. Note: all of the abov relates to average pro golf. Walking 4 rounds an amateur carrying your bag requires decent fitness IMO.

But as for fat golfers on tour, couldn't care less. They have the skill, they deserve to be there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Monty was the epitomy of an over weight golfe and while he never secured a major, those order of merits didn't happen by accident and when he tried to get fit and lose weight his form deserted him. It is about how you get the club back to the ball and all these bigger timbered golfers do it well. If they didn't or were too unfit they wouldn't be on tour.