Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Definitely.

I didnt ever hit a golf ball until I was about 47 and my handicap was definitely lower after 60 than at 55, only now have I gone back up but am hopeful of a drop soon.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Give me a bit of work in a gym doing something like yoga or pilates and I reckon I can improve certain elements where my body is holding me back which would almost certainly lead to better scores and an index of 5 or thereabouts is not beyond me.
Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi, Chi Kung. I do them all, but it makes no difference to my golf.
Cycling, jogging, walking don't either.
That's because as you get older the brain becomes more scrambled and it can't keep up with the body.

You do know that these days fifty five is the new thirty five don't you? :D
Show me someone who is 55 who has the body and brain of 35.
The dissipation of energy (entropy of the body) is what causes you to age and there is no getting away from it.
Entropy means that things can only get worse.
Or like someone said:
"We cannot win.
We are sure to lose.
We cannot leave the game."

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm 57, recently retired. New clubs, no mental baggage or worries from work, playing more, practicing a bit, enjoying it immensely. I think maturity brings some wisdom regarding course management too, as well as acceptance of the inevitable rubbish shot mixed in with the good ones. I'm also adopting the attitude of "don't follow a poor shot with a poor decision" which is helping.
Interested to see all the flexibility answers - I am considering yoga or pilates to try and prolong things. For now still as long as i ever was, and handicap moving in right direction. I still think single figures is achievable for me.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i lose most of my shots on my short game and that can definitely improve for an over 55 - I voted yes. My handicap came down when I put in some short game practice - need to get back to that !!