Outside to in swing.

Moleman

Visit site
First time poster long time reader! :)

Playing for couple of years now and handicap is 19.

However my game is plagued by a horrible out to in swing, this is killing my power, direction and causes lots if nasty fat shots.

Any helpful drills, advice to get this under control much appreciated!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It is the same as my head cover drill except.....
Because the out to in downswing creates a steep angle of attack, it's easy for the club to miss the first ball unless you place it quite close to your target ball which then restricts the backswing.

Secondly, if you're on a busy range and you get this drill wrong, you'll end up with balls flying all over the place which isn't ideal.

If you simply replace the outer 2 balls with head covers its much safer and more difficult to "cheat"

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=KsrovFJ3o9I[/video]

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Bob quite rightly says do not do my example at the driving range only do it my way if you have a grass practice facility at your club or balls will go everywhere. If you do Bobs drill make sure you use 2 old headcovers you are not bothered about abusing as at the beginning you will probably give them a good old smack with you club or send them flying down the range :). Either way both of the 2 methods will serve you well if done correctly. Stick with them and watch your slice/fade become a nice straight shot or dare I say it a Draw:thup:

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It is the same as my head cover drill except.....
Because the out to in downswing creates a steep angle of attack, it's easy for the club to miss the first ball unless you place it quite close to your target ball which then restricts the backswing.

Secondly, if you're on a busy range and you get this drill wrong, you'll end up with balls flying all over the place which isn't ideal.

If you simply replace the outer 2 balls with head covers its much safer and more difficult to "cheat"

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=KsrovFJ3o9I[/video]

Great swing!

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site

I only had to retrieve my head covers 3 times....they go a lot further than you think.....:whistle:

Moleman

Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply!

Really nice vid, I have no doubt that my swing would collect all three balls so can't wait to try that out.

You are right about my slices, I also block the ball straight left the odd time if I swing with a closed club face.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply!

Really nice vid, I have no doubt that my swing would collect all three balls so can't wait to try that out.

You are right about my slices, I also block the ball straight left the odd time if I swing with a closed club face.

No worries. Anymore swing advice Bob is your man he is the PGA Coach after all and not us hackers!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I only had to retrieve my head covers 3 times....they go a lot further than you think.....:whistle:

Vijay Singh recommends a large plastic fluid container.

Whatever method is used, it almost certainly fails to fix the fundamental cause though! Is stacking an adjustment onto a fault really good for the swing?

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever method is used, it almost certainly fails to fix the fundamental cause though! Is stacking an adjustment onto a fault really good for the swing?

Not sure I understand what you are getting at........this drill forces you to change your swing path..... to bring it down more on the inside....surely this is attempting to correct the swing fault?

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure I understand what you are getting at........this drill forces you to change your swing path..... to bring it down more on the inside....surely this is attempting to correct the swing fault?

Agreed the drill sorts out the out to in swing over time so in turn trains the body to move the club more on an inside path leading to straighter shots

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The question to ask is 'Why was the swing path out-to-in in the first place'. Many of the possible causes are not addressed, but an i-to-o path is manufactured. Better to fix the cause, then use the drill as confirmation of cure.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
GSAP!:D

And if it was you, I'd ask you what was the fundamental cause. It might, of course, be my grip, or other aspect of my set-up, so I wouldn't expect to be simply told to use that drill.

So you're saying you want to know what causes the out to in swing and not just how to fix it?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So you're saying you want to know what causes the out to in swing and not just how to fix it?

Yep! That way I can Cure/Prevent it. Not just work around it with an adjustment.

Are you saying that you'd specify that drill as THE cure when I was setting up aiming left, with a dodgy grip and standing too close to the ball with weight on my toes and taking the club back on the outside with no hip or shoulder turn - any of which could trigger an out-to-in downswing?