out2in

The People's Republic of Leith, Edinburgh
Visit site
over the last few weeks I've noticed that i've developed a slight out2in swing path - which has reversed my soft draw into a slight fade.......

now - there have been plenty of threads with regard to the "headcover" drill and while I understand it, it doesn't really work for me as a drill by itself - in order for me to make sense of it, I need to work out how this should "feel" during a swing

what "feeling" should I be looking out for in shoulders, hips, arms etc etc etc? :D
(if i ever work where to set my camera/phone, I'll post as vid)

many thanks all

kev

fluffy

Hacker
Visit site
Kev,

The headcover drill is purely a quick fix. Perhaps even just a way to show you the movement of out to in itself. It is one I would use when coaching for someone with a medal in the morning!

What is the current ball flight? Pull/Pull hook/slice/fade?

With seeing anything, there must be a reason for the out to in to be happening. Out to in is the fault, not the cause of the fault. As I normally say to people on golf forums. Seek Professional help in the shape of a golf lesson. If you can't, a down the line video and side on video would be a help for making a better judgment of what is going on.

Visit site
flight is currently a very slight fade, which in itself isn't too much of a worry - other than until recently (like, 2 weeks ago) my usual flight was a very slight draw

I am having regular lessons, but it's another couple of weeks before my next one - i'm sure this will get ironed out eventually..... I suppose this was the least of my worries when I embarked upon completely re-building my swing! and to be fair, the Pro that I'm using is doing an excellent job - I just get a little frustrated when things happen that I'm not expecting! :eek:

fluffy

Hacker
Visit site
Yes i personally believe it is. Swinging in to out has to rely only a large amount of things, just like swinging out to in.

What I teach is based purely on the individual pupil. To recreate a desired swingpath in to out in this instance. I would want to make sure that the path is natural, not minipulative and reliant on hand eye coordination (hence why I dislike the headcover drill).

So looking at the below (to name a few) they have to match up to the swing path desired.

Posture
Flexibility
Weight transfer
Wrist angle and R.O.M

i'd prefer a slightly out to in path over a big raking draw any day :)

At the end of the day, coaches are like people who believe in a God. We all believe in a good result, yet we all preach from a different book :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
At the end of the day, coaches are like people who believe in a God. We all believe in a good result, yet we all preach from a different book

I agree
As for the drill, I like it for it's simplicity.
The golfer is in no doubt what the drill is for and there is immediate feedback when they get it wrong.
They dont have to worry about where the hip/shoulder/elbow is at any part of the swing.
They naturally change the shape of their swing to miss the headcover.
I guess it also depends on what standard you are teaching.

As you say, same target, different road :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes i personally believe it is. Swinging in to out has to rely only a large amount of things, just like swinging out to in.

What I teach is based purely on the individual pupil. To recreate a desired swingpath in to out in this instance. I would want to make sure that the path is natural, not minipulative and reliant on hand eye coordination (hence why I dislike the headcover drill).

So looking at the below (to name a few) they have to match up to the swing path desired.

Posture
Flexibility
Weight transfer
Wrist angle and R.O.M

i'd prefer a slightly out to in path over a big raking draw any day :)

At the end of the day, coaches are like people who believe in a God. We all believe in a good result, yet we all preach from a different book :D

I may be totally wrong but I think that the golf swing is entirely manipulative by nature. There is no absolute way to contact a club face on a ball, and even the best pro's swing differently compared to each other. The head cover technique Bob mentions, in any event, is only a visual way of ingraining a better swing path and I cant see that your teaching, in the end, does anything different. Once the headcover is there, it forces a better swing path and surely whatever it takes to find that path the quickest is the most benefit to he student.

I really don't think that most people have a "natural" swing that isn't bettered by a pro and then the only factor is the teaching method that gets that particular student to find it!

But then I am no expert!

Chris

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Chris, I was teaching someone who asked me to check his aim.
I pointed out his shoulders were pointing 30 yards left of his feet.
I asked him to push his left shoulder forward. He did so but said it felt uncomfortable.
So I asked him to pull his right shoulder back. "That's much better" he said.

A simple example of how to achieve the same result using 2 different approaches.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i love this thread, the gut it trying to cure out to in because he see's is as a fault, yet for 2 years ive been tring to get rid of an in to out swing and acheive an out to in swing...

I hate this dam sport!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Chris, I was teaching someone who asked me to check his aim.
I pointed out his shoulders were pointing 30 yards left of his feet.
I asked him to push his left shoulder forward. He did so but said it felt uncomfortable.
So I asked him to pull his right shoulder back. "That's much better" he said.

A simple example of how to achieve the same result using 2 different approaches.

More than one way to skin a rabbit eh Bob?

I've been looking for a way stop a slight forward dip at the transition from back to down swing. It's not much but I feel that I have to cure it or it will eventually get worse like it once was. I have tried various suggestions but I know that it still happens from time to time

Chris

Visit site
i love this thread, the gut it trying to cure out to in because he see's is as a fault, yet for 2 years ive been tring to get rid of an in to out swing and acheive an out to in swing...
:)

i'm only trying to fix it because it's something else that's crept into my game..... when I first embarked on my lessons I was spraying the ball both ways and my pro worked with me to a point where when things went "bad" they were only going left, then reducing the severity of "left" to a point where it was a nice soft draw....

at this stage I don't really care if my natural game is draw or fade, as long as I know which to expect :rolleyes:

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really care if my natural game is draw or fade, as long as I know which to expect :rolleyes:

Exactly how I feel.

If the 3 ball drill reduces the severity of how out to in my swing is so that I can hit a nice fade 9 times out of 10 then I'll take it.

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst realizing that Imurg had his tongue firmly in his cheek my pro showed my a much more range friendly version of the drill.

Stick the biggest rubber tee you can find in he mat and position the ball so that it takes the place of he head cover.