Our FREE to access new gear mag has launched!

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Our new digital gear mag - What's In The Bag - has just gone live

It's completely free to access - you just need to register to view

works on pc or mac and desktop, tablet and mobile

sign up and view issue 1 and you'll be entered into a brilliant prize draw to win over £1500 worth of FootJoy gear

get involved What's In The Bag and let us know what you think

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks interesting; the layout works nicely.

It seems a bit of a shame though to have more more articles written about golf equipment. I realise the magazine has to make money and a primary source for that money is golf manufacturers but I would like to see a little more written about courses. This is not a criticism, just a personal observation.

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Looks interesting; the layout works nicely.

It seems a bit of a shame though to have more more articles written about golf equipment. I realise the magazine has to make money and a primary source for that money is golf manufacturers but I would like to see a little more written about courses. This is not a criticism, just a personal observation.

Perhaps you'll prefer our new Top 100 courses app then, a course lovers dream! (http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/notice-board/download-top-100-courses-201516-app-now-65022)

As a side note, our 2014 reader survey revealed equipment based pieces to be peoples' overwhelming favourite in the magazine, but hopefully we provide enough variety to please everyone if you know where to look!

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
Perhaps you'll prefer our new Top 100 courses app then, a course lovers dream! (http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/notice-board/download-top-100-courses-201516-app-now-65022)

As a side note, our 2014 reader survey revealed equipment based pieces to be peoples' overwhelming favourite in the magazine, but hopefully we provide enough variety to please everyone if you know where to look!

As I say I think the format works really well; the layout is clean, intuitive and the integrated videos complement nicely. It's just equipment isn't "my thing". I hope it proves a success

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Looks gread team :thup: just a quick question about how the content and editorial will be balanced against the magazine material?
Hi Tiger, good question
at the end of the day gear is gear so what’s in the bag (WITB) is more about the packaging and delivery of the content about gear although we can do more Tour related and apparel stuff which we just don’t have room in the mag for and digitally it does the hard work for you by bringing together text, images and video which our website doesn’t do as neatly
I feel it complements th emag - giving more of a first taster insight when product launches - there are far fewer words vs. the mag for starters so going for a more visually led content
It's more newsy than the mag - very recent Tour winners' bag line ups for example and we have the ability to work very close to deadline (no 10 day turnaround from sending the mag to the printers to it being with subscribers) and we will start to move publishing dates around to coincide with embargo dates for major gear launches
Video will play a massive part in telling the stories
In time we will probably run a lot of competitions and recruit a lot of fitting opportunities via WITB
It'll evolve over time I'm sure!
Mike

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like the format a lot, quite like the shortened mag style (will it always be the same sort of length, or will it expand to magazine sizes?), releasing often would be great as the gear changes so quickly in these few months of the year.

Hope to see my WITB video feature soon .... if you can convince someone to really empty their bag ;)

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Thanks Mike :) Really like the concept of tuning the release dates to be closer to product launches, big events for WITB etc.

It's given me an idea about something else for you guys. I'll drop you an email.

Keep up the great work

T

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst the major OEMs dominate the market, I hope you can look beyond them and give the smaller companies a fair shot as well.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like the mag it's very good!

May at I ask if GM Towers can upload a version that I can download on my iPad, like the ones we do everymonth?

cheers :)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks good and I think just the right amount of content - short and sweet. Any longer and you might start to lose people's interest.

A minor snag, I couldnt find a way to blow the video up to fullscreen or zoom in. Not a problem in most cases but I struggled to read the eye chart on Neil's Ping video.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Looks good and I think just the right amount of content - short and sweet. Any longer and you might start to lose people's interest.

A minor snag, I couldnt find a way to blow the video up to fullscreen or zoom in. Not a problem in most cases but I struggled to read the eye chart on Neil's Ping video.

Glad it's not just me. Like the concept, don't like being forced into portrait mode on the iPad mini, and then not being able to enlarge the screen text to read it. Some text blew up large but then couldn't move it to read the text off screen. Not the best viewing experience - unfortunately gave up at that point.

Maybe there's a mobile viewing option I've missed? Otherwise, needs one.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
I like the format a lot, quite like the shortened mag style (will it always be the same sort of length, or will it expand to magazine sizes?), releasing often would be great as the gear changes so quickly in these few months of the year.

Hope to see my WITB video feature soon .... if you can convince someone to really empty their bag ;)

I think that's the maximum ammount of content we'd want to put in a single issue - we may increase frequency if there is the demand from users. I think we could easily do an issue every fortnight in peak times of the year for product launches

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Like the mag it's very good!

May at I ask if GM Towers can upload a version that I can download on my iPad, like the ones we do everymonth?

cheers :)

No plans to do this at the moment - the whole idea for WITB was to be accessible for not just iOS devices tablets/phone so we didnt do it as an app