Orange whip / golf tempo trainer

Springveldt

Visit site
On a slight tangent (and apologies for doing so) has anyone been using speed sticks over a regular period of time and have they had any long term improvement in speed and therefore distance. I want to go down that road, along with some gentle conditioning of my arms, legs and core but want to here some views on whether its worth the effort
Yes. I used Superspeed a couple of years ago for about 8-10 weeks and definitely got faster. It took my swing speed with driver from around 95-97mph to 104mph on a normal swing and 109mph flat out. I stopped using them but maintained most of that speed for the season.

I've definitely got slower over lockdown etc and I notice it on the course. Got the superspeed sticks back out last week and on the radar I could only get the green light one to 116mph while when I was training with them it would be in the 126-128mph range. Going to start using them again to get some speed before the season starts.

Springveldt

Visit site
For those with a whip, where do you use it to warm up? I have one and use it frequently in the garden but I’d feel a complete tit standing on the first tee with it or even in the car park.

I could use it pre leaving to go to the club but that seems pointless.
I'd just use it at the first tee, who cares. I get my speed sticks out on the first tee and swing like someone who's trying to put his back out. It's great for loosening up.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting. I have a glass back and so anything that can help stretch it would be a good thing. I hit balls before playing - usually a half bucket maybe more if I'm not swinging great or really stiff as it takes 15-20 to really start to feel loose. - and this may speed that up. Also if I can do it before I get in the car (only 15 minutes to the club) then I can get there relatively free to swing

I have struggled with a bad lower back for years and anything that helps me loosen up before a round is welcome. What I have found is that it helps with the issue of taking 4-5 holes to fully loosen up and actually start enjoying hitting the ball. 15 minutes in the garden before I leave of just gentle swinging and just ramping it up for the last minute or so. I cannot comment as to whether it particularly helps my tempo or anything but it definitely does help my back!!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd just use it at the first tee, who cares. I get my speed sticks out on the first tee and swing like someone who's trying to put his back out. It's great for loosening up.

Id love to be that confident, we had an away interclub match and one of the hosting team pulled the whip out on the first tee to loosen up. There were remarks from his own team “ don’t worry he’s all the gear no idea “ kind of banter and it’s stuck with me.

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Id love to be they confident, we had an away interclub match and one of the hosting team pulled the whip out on the first tee to loosen up. There were remarks from his own team “ don’t worry he’s all the gear no idea “ kind of banter and it’s stuck with me.
As you say, it's just a bit of banter. I've had the lads I play with asking WTF I was doing etc but I've found swinging those sticks as hard as I can on the first tee really helps me loosen up and maybe it's psychological but I feel I hit better drives on the first after doing them.
Not that bothered what others around me think of it tbh, I feel it helps me start the round in decent fashion. I don't get the feeling of being stiff until the 4th hole anymore.

evemccc

Visit site
Would someone be able to use an orange whip in conjunction with super speed training?

If yes, if they were doing so before a board comp or a round they wanted to do well in, how would it work / the order of doing it? Do they complement each other?

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Would someone be able to use an orange whip in conjunction with super speed training?

If yes, if they were doing so before a board comp or a round they wanted to do well in, how would it work / the order of doing it? Do they complement each other?

Good question - I'm really unclear what's the best to purchase. I think the Orange Whip seems to offer more advantages in terms of lag benefits and you seem to be able to pick up a simialr vwerion off Ebay for £20. The best price for the speedsticks seems to be the Relentless with the chamgeable weights at £65