Orange whip / golf tempo trainer

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve used my eBay version a few times but like a lot of home aids I’ve not used it enough. One this is does highlight for me is the loss of height in the downswing.

I’ve got a lesson tomorrow and once I’ve addressed a few issues the whip will become part of a bigger daily exercise program as will kettle bells around take away

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have one of those - somewhere in storage.
They state 'indoor/outdoor'. It would only be usable indoors if inside a hall/gym etc, but fine outside.
I've used it for both warmup and 'at home' swing practice. Hard to tell if it 'works', but seems ok. Feels more useful for Driver/woods than irons. I have a short weighted gadget - in the same storage - that works better for them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On a slight tangent (and apologies for doing so) has anyone been using speed sticks over a regular period of time and have they had any long term improvement in speed and therefore distance. I want to go down that road, along with some gentle conditioning of my arms, legs and core but want to here some views on whether its worth the effort

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
On a slight tangent (and apologies for doing so) has anyone been using speed sticks over a regular period of time and have they had any long term improvement in speed and therefore distance. I want to go down that road, along with some gentle conditioning of my arms, legs and core but want to here some views on whether its worth the effort
I used an equivalent many years ago and it did help somewhat. But current ones don't seem vale for money. Your 'gentle conditioning' should give similar benefit without the expense if designed/planned properly.

evemccc

Visit site

Everything I’ve read about them, and seen on the internet (by people who aren’t selling them) is that they do work

Boomy

Visit site
I’ve just bought the SKLZ 48” version from Hotgolf (off eBay)

Impressed with it thus far. As others have said it’s great for loosening off/warming up but beyond that I’m finding it really helpful for tempo and generating club head speed. Glad I bought one, it’ll get lots of use for practice and loosening up before play.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My view on this, and it's linked to the orange whip too, is that they're only any good if your technique is decent.

If you have a poor swing that requires lots of compensations and corrections to make the ball go straight, adding a fluid rhythm via the orange whip, or adding speed via the speed sticks, probably isn't going to help with scoring. That was my experience with the orange whip anyway, although I can see the logic as a warm up tool. There were plenty of gains to be had for me (and still are) just from more consistently hitting the middle of the club with a square clubface, and being more efficient with the speed I already have.

However, I think general core strength work is a good idea for a plethora of reasons, some golf, most general health. From a golf perspective, having a strong core can only help. Personally, if that's your goal, I'd go down more specific core strengthening training for golf rather than the speed sticks. Or if you want the speed sticks, a combo of both.

Boomy

Visit site
My view on this, and it's linked to the orange whip too, is that they're only any good if your technique is decent.

If you have a poor swing that requires lots of compensations and corrections to make the ball go straight, adding a fluid rhythm via the orange whip, or adding speed via the speed sticks, probably isn't going to help with scoring. That was my experience with the orange whip anyway, although I can see the logic as a warm up tool. There were plenty of gains to be had for me (and still are) just from more consistently hitting the middle of the club with a square clubface, and being more efficient with the speed I already have.

However, I think general core strength work is a good idea for a plethora of reasons, some golf, most general health. From a golf perspective, having a strong core can only help. Personally, if that's your goal, I'd go down more specific core strengthening training for golf rather than the speed sticks. Or if you want the speed sticks, a combo of both.

Speed sticks are a different thing to the orange whip/SKLZ trainers though which the OP is asking about.

The orange whip/SKLZ trainers are not solely designed to build core or speed I’d say - more swing tempo whilst helping condition golfing muscles (maybe some core, forearms, bit of back)

I agree that either way, ideally one needs to be putting a decent swing on any trainer to get the benefits but with the orange whip/SKLZ being weighted it does help one understand positions in the swing easier I think, they really slow and smooth the swing as well. I’m really pleased I bought one and am enjoying using it during practice this week. I’ll use it to warm up for the first time at the weekend.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Speed sticks are a different thing to the orange whip/SKLZ trainers though which the OP is asking about.

The orange whip/SKLZ trainers are not solely designed to build core or speed I’d say - more swing tempo whilst helping condition golfing muscles (maybe some core, forearms, bit of back)

I agree that either way, ideally one needs to be putting a decent swing on any trainer to get the benefits but with the orange whip/SKLZ being weighted it does help one understand positions in the swing easier I think, they really slow and smooth the swing as well. I’m really pleased I bought one and am enjoying using it during practice this week. I’ll use it to warm up for the first time at the weekend.

Thanks - I realise that, was just trying to deal with my thoughts on Homer's question, and also keep it relevant to the thread as a whole, which is about the orange whip.

Boomy

Visit site
Thanks - I realise that, was just trying to deal with my thoughts on Homer's question, and also keep it relevant to the thread as a whole, which is about the orange whip.

Apologies, I’d missed the details on Homer’s questions and thought there had been a blur between the whips and speed sticks.

The whips will 100% help with tempo and club head speed but as you point out separate core work is the way to go as well.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies, I’d missed the details on Homer’s questions and thought there had been a blur between the whips and speed sticks.

The whips will 100% help with tempo and club head speed but as you point out separate core work is the way to go as well.

No worries - I'm thinking I might dust off my orange whip and give it another go.... haven't used it since the summer.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have the orange whip although it's gathered dust during the winter as it's very much an outdoor activity. I really suffer from a tight back and what I find it useful for is a good warmup before a round. I'll try and go in the garden for 20 minutes before I leave and, after stretching, have gentle swings and build up to the full blooded effort. I've found it really helps when on the first tee and feeling stiff even if I have had a bucket of balls on the range.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For those with a whip, where do you use it to warm up? I have one and use it frequently in the garden but I’d feel a complete tit standing on the first tee with it or even in the car park.

I could use it pre leaving to go to the club but that seems pointless.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
For those with a whip, where do you use it to warm up? I have one and use it frequently in the garden but I’d feel a complete tit standing on the first tee with it or even in the car park.

I could use it pre leaving to go to the club but that seems pointless.

Car park, then put it in the boot of the car. Removes any possibility of using it during delays on the course & the consequent penalty.

And I don't feel like a complete tit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have the orange whip although it's gathered dust during the winter as it's very much an outdoor activity. I really suffer from a tight back and what I find it useful for is a good warmup before a round. I'll try and go in the garden for 20 minutes before I leave and, after stretching, have gentle swings and build up to the full blooded effort. I've found it really helps when on the first tee and feeling stiff even if I have had a bucket of balls on the range.

Interesting. I have a glass back and so anything that can help stretch it would be a good thing. I hit balls before playing - usually a half bucket maybe more if I'm not swinging great or really stiff as it takes 15-20 to really start to feel loose. - and this may speed that up. Also if I can do it before I get in the car (only 15 minutes to the club) then I can get there relatively free to swing