Opinions on changing driver pls

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Hello all.....

Currently use a ping G15 driver but I am thinking of changing to something different.
Thinking of Ping G30 or G series
Also Cobra Bio Cell or F7 / F8s
The G15 is fine but I feel newer drivers may have more tech in them as any help to get distance and forgiveness is my aim.
Any thoughts ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure G30 would be enough improvement over the G15 to be worth it. They were only four years apart. You'd want to go G400 or even the G410. Likewise I don't think a Bio Cell or F7 would be a noticeable improvement over the G15 - F9 could be though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Try before you buy is my opinion. Not too much difference in the G15-G30 or even the G driver. I think the only way you can work out if there are any benefits between the G15 and any other is to see what the numbers on a monitor gives you and if you think any gains is worth the outlay

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a G15 and I don’t think you’ll find that much more forgiveness out there. Distance possibly, especially if you’re finding the middle of the driver reasonably often. The biggest gain you might find is in a shaft that is better suited to your swing. As others have said, hit other drivers but don’t get hung up on what head it is, ask the fitter to explain why some shafts suit better than others and hopefully you’ll arrive at a good conclusion. But again, if you aren’t finding the middle of the driver face pretty often the fitting process will only tell you so much.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Thanks for all replies
I do like the G15, I love the look of the G400 max but don't really want to spend that much.
I'm not desperate, it just feels and looks old.
All your points are appreciated, thank you

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My pro said to me ping had an incremental improvement of 3% to each model. Now that wasn’t playing distance and forgiveness, that was dispersed right across every attribute ... so it won’t manifest itself in yardage etc...A more precise fitting in an older driver could still catch back all of the modern movement. The face won’t be much different may be on hits around the edges, the shafts are lighter and can deliver what you have already but with a 5-10gram reduction. The G15 and G20 were and are very good drivers.
If it looks worn and tired get a new driver, break the bank, you keep them, so spread that cost .. go to another Ping and enjoy that for 6-7 years ..

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Hello all.....

Currently use a ping G15 driver but I am thinking of changing to something different.
Thinking of Ping G30 or G series
Also Cobra Bio Cell or F7 / F8s
The G15 is fine but I feel newer drivers may have more tech in them as any help to get distance and forgiveness is my aim.
Any thoughts ?

I was in exactly the same situation a couple of years ago and opted for the then current G400, just be aware as others have said the shafts are different, I bought like for like and found I just could not hit the ball, had a play around with a few shafts similar to old G15 one and bingo off we go again.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My pro said to me ping had an incremental improvement of 3% to each model. Now that wasn’t playing distance and forgiveness, that was dispersed right across every attribute ... so it won’t manifest itself in yardage etc...A more precise fitting in an older driver could still catch back all of the modern movement. The face won’t be much different may be on hits around the edges, the shafts are lighter and can deliver what you have already but with a 5-10gram reduction. The G15 and G20 were and are very good drivers.
If it looks worn and tired get a new driver, break the bank, you keep them, so spread that cost .. go to another Ping and enjoy that for 6-7 years ..
I like this...so how much across the board improvement might I expect from a new ping driver compared with my G10...? I am thinking of testing the bank rather than breaking it as yes - I will expect to be living with a new driver for 10yrs or so ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The main consideration is how well your current driver suits you. If it has the loft, shaft etc that suit you, then there is little to be gained from a new one. A new one could be worse, despite having technically better features.

But if your current driver is not a good fit, then you could gain a lot from something with the right shaft, loft, whatever. That need not be a new one, even swapping out the shaft in your current one might do it.

A lot of players see benefit from a shiny new driver not because the new one is technically superior, but that it fits them better.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello all.....

I feel newer drivers may have more tech in them as any help to get distance and forgiveness is my aim.

That is by far the worst reason to buy a club alongside “it looks pretty”.

Buy a club because it gives you better numbers (from a trusted source).
Buy a club because after a decent on course test it delivers better results
Buy a club because it gives you more confidence and inspires you
Buy a club because it fuels your love for the game

Any of those is great but NEVER buy a club just because it is newer and might have some magic tech in it, better is not a given just because it is new, forgiveness is not a given.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Look at Henrik Stenson, he's moved on now but he had his diablo 3 wood in the bag for years beyond 'technological' advancements in fairway woods. If you have an old trusty and it gives you confidence and you don't have any issues with it then sticking with it can be the right decision. A good friend of mine has all older clubs. He replaced his R11s driver with an M5 when they were released and had buyers remorse instantly. He piled that much pressure on himself to justify his purchase he just hit it poorly from the get go and lost all confidence with it.

I'm the opposite, I'm a magpie and like shiny things, I don't grow attachment to clubs except for my putters. I know changing some-times gives minimal if any performance benefits which is supported by the numbers during fittings but I feel good with new clubs and it normally hands over to my golf game.

I gave up updating my signature as literally all the clubs have been replaced now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very interesting views, thank you.
Nothing wrong with my driver so I may invest in a couple of lessons instead.

Always a cheaper and in my opinion longer term solution. If you can find a way to hit more fairways with the current model (maybe even a few more yards with improved technique) is there really a need to shell out on a new model? If you still have that itch to buy, a 2nd hand model may be the way to go

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very interesting views, thank you.
Nothing wrong with my driver so I may invest in a couple of lessons instead.
That's such a bad attitude to have. You "need" new shiney clubs. It's completely natural for a man to desire a new driver. Don't fight it. It's like a woman and hand bags. Buy it now and regret it later?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The main consideration is how well your current driver suits you. If it has the loft, shaft etc that suit you, then there is little to be gained from a new one. A new one could be worse, despite having technically better features.

But if your current driver is not a good fit, then you could gain a lot from something with the right shaft, loft, whatever. That need not be a new one, even swapping out the shaft in your current one might do it.

A lot of players see benefit from a shiny new driver not because the new one is technically superior, but that it fits them better.
In my case the shaft of my Ping G10 is bust, and currently doing just fine with my rather ageing Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III. I will try out a new Ping driver but unless I see or feel significant difference I might well just have my G10 re-shafted. Mind you it’s 9deg loft and that might get a bit difficult for an ageing me...?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a TaylorMade R15 which I’ll use until it breaks. I wasn’t good with it when I first had it, but I wouldn’t have been good with any driver, it was a swing issue - there’s no driver in the world which could have fixed my push slice! I took some lessons and I practiced and practiced and practiced and I can use it pretty well now, and I love the thing. A new driver would cost a lot and would deliver minimal improvement if any at all (the latter being the most likely in my view).

As others have said, changing drivers won’t make a big difference, if any difference at all to your scores, get one if you want to, or if what you’re after is to be better have a lesson and get some practice in.