A bit of advice or your opinions appreciated PLS

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All driver shafts are to long nowdays, the driver length you are using at the moment is longer than most pros use, it’s a ploy the manufacturers use to try to promote more distance.

There is nothing wrong with the Calloway driver you have, my advice would be to get a shorter shaft in it, it will also save you the expense of buying another driver that will probably have a shaft that is to long also.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Yeah but they do bugger all. The SF Tec is essentially just weight distribution inside the head being more towards the heel. So the toe comes round quicker and stops you leaving the face open. (That's my layman's understanding anyway.)
Sounds technical but feasible haaa..... so if the g30 does this but is over £100, is the k15 a similar idea but quite a few ££s cheaper...... I almost bought a 12° k15 with regular flex and 1" shorter shaft but missed out, £45 it sold for ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds technical but feasible haaa..... so if the g30 does this but is over £100, is the k15 a similar idea but quite a few ££s cheaper...... I almost bought a 12° k15 with regular flex and 1" shorter shaft but missed out, £45 it sold for ?
Oh yeah, apparently they did SF Tec in the K15. I had no idea it went that far back to be honest, I thought they brought that out with the G30. There is also a G10 'draw' driver which is the same thing really.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not convinced about the stock shafts in the newer ping drivers. i tried the new pings last year both with the stock shafts and were no comp with my driver and my make the Doc, has a Ping Raptor that must be 10 years old, he took 3 different ping drivers out over the last couple of weekend comps, again none of them performed anything like as good as his Raptor all had stock reg shaft he has a non stock shaft in his... of course there could be more to it than that, but not a fan

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Oh yeah, apparently they did SF Tec in the K15. I had no idea it went that far back to be honest, I thought they brought that out with the G30. There is also a G10 'draw' driver which is the same thing really.
Cheers for that... that's me narrowed down to 3 drivers..... im not bothered if it's a few years old or newer, just one that helps a little, just need to find one shorter than standard...?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cheers for that... that's me narrowed down to 3 drivers..... im not bothered if it's a few years old or newer, just one that helps a little, just need to find one shorter than standard...?
have a look out for some of the older drivers, G2,G5, G10, Raptor all came with great aftermarket shafts and can be got SH for under £50.
know another guy who still uses a G2 and hits that as far as any new driver, that has a Adila Tour Green NV 65 shaft as standard

Myblueheaven

Visit site
I'm not convinced about the stock shafts in the newer ping drivers. i tried the new pings last year both with the stock shafts and were no comp with my driver and my make the Doc, has a Ping Raptor that must be 10 years old, he took 3 different ping drivers out over the last couple of weekend comps, again none of them performed anything like as good as his Raptor all had stock reg shaft he has a non stock shaft in his... of course there could be more to it than that, but not a fan
Sorry I'm new to this, normally choosing new football boots every year was as tough as it got....... this golf stuff is way more technical lol.
If new drivers come with this standard longer shaft, would an older ping, 2010 ish shaft be shorter by standard ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry I'm new to this, normally choosing new football boots every year was as tough as it got....... this golf stuff is way more technical lol.
If new drivers come with this standard longer shaft, would an older ping, 2010 ish shaft be shorter by standard ?
i'd imagine so, the Doc Raptor is def shorter than my TM M2 with the Matrix white tie shaft

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think the Raptor came out in 2006 so definitely would have a shorter shaft than today’s drivers, here’s just one example when Fowler won the Honda classic he had his driver shaft down to 43 and a half inches.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think the Raptor came out in 2006 so definitely would have a shorter shaft than today’s drivers, here’s just one example when Fowler won the Honda classic he had his driver shaft down to 43 and a half inches.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
My Rapture 2 has the same length shaft as my G20...and no, I'm not selling either:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You could always just shorten your current shaft by an inch say, if you were so disposed.;)
Only a case of removing the grip, cutting the shaft down however long you want to, then a new grip:)

wouldn't you have to do something about the cahnge in the swing weight??

I've no idea myself but its something that always gets mentioned when ever cutting down shafts is brought up

Myblueheaven

Visit site
I have read a lot of articles, forums and watched plenty of YouTube videos regarding these drivers.
I know you can pay a lot of money for fancy drivers with loads of tech but It seems there is a lot of love out there for these older ping g5, g10, g15 & g20 drivers. Must mean something that.
I guess in football terms I would still buy a pair of old adidas word cup boots over any of these fancy ones.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
wouldn't you have to do something about the cahnge in the swing weight??

I've no idea myself but its something that always gets mentioned when ever cutting down shafts is brought up
I did it on a G2 many years ago. An inch of carbon fibre weighs almost nothing;)
Likewise I've never had an issues when changing to larger grips either:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have read a lot of articles, forums and watched plenty of YouTube videos regarding these drivers.
I know you can pay a lot of money for fancy drivers with loads of tech but It seems there is a lot of love out there for these older ping g5, g10, g15 & g20 drivers. Must mean something that.
I guess in football terms I would still buy a pair of old adidas word cup boots over any of these fancy ones.
i think Lee Westwood was still using his G10 up untill a couple of years ago... i think they made him change;)