Open venue rota - St Andrews 2015

U

User62651

Anyone think they go to St Andrews Old too often for the Open, that's 2000,05,10,15. With 10 venues on the rota now Portrush is back in should it not be every 10 yrs or so instead of every 5 at St Andrews?
I love St Andrews and went to the 05 Open there but its not the toughest of tests for the pros and for public viewing its poor as its very flat, apart from some small hills around 12th. Get back to Turnberry before St Andrews again I say.
Also could they mix up the holes a bit incorporating holes from New and Jubilee too?
Thoughts?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wait you don't want to see golf played at it's ancestoral home place every 5 years?

Every 10 years and the elite would be lucky to get to play it 3-4 times in thier careers, never mind the fact they get to compete for one of the biggest accolades in golf. I'm yet to hear a pro complain about having to play St. Andrews. It may not be the hilliest of place but that relatively flat land with all it's subtle little humps and bumps (and some not so subtle) combined with a good oul stiff breeze (which the rest of the world would call storm force winds but I hear they are a hardy bunch in Scotland) and you'll see a great test of golf.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Anyone think they go to St Andrews Old too often for the Open, that's 2000,05,10,15. With 10 venues on the rota now Portrush is back in should it not be every 10 yrs or so instead of every 5 at St Andrews?
I love St Andrews and went to the 05 Open there but its not the toughest of tests for the pros and for public viewing its poor as its very flat, apart from some small hills around 12th. Get back to Turnberry before St Andrews again I say.
Also could they mix up the holes a bit incorporating holes from New and Jubilee too?
Thoughts?

Its fine where it is at the home of golf, don't tell me you would prefer it on a Parkland Course in England;)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually slightly agree with the OP. It's great at St Andrews but maybe every 5 years is just a wee bit too often.

There is also another pro tournament there every year, even if it is a slightly strange one!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Agreed that St Andrews isn't the best course but it is the best venue by a country mile. The city just lives and breathes golf. I'm quite happy to see the present system continue.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Too often there for my liking.

Just because something is good, doesn't mean more of it is better. I think about once every 7 would be fine.

As for the pros' comments, they just say what the press (and their sponsors) want to hear on the whole. On a links course, they 'love links golf', at next week's event, they'll love that etc etc.

The one time they did kick off (Ernie's redesign at Wentworth) there was lots of hoohah.

Imagine what might happen if they said, 'St Andrews is a bit dull, not really suited to the modern game and a pain in the *** to spectate at'. The R&A suits would go puce and start muttering about it all going wrong after we gave up India.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This.

It's the home of golf. The home of the R&A. Why not have it at St. Andrews every 5 years? The players say it is special playing The Open there, so keep it.

I agree!

Like saying they hold The Masters at Augusta too often! :rolleyes:

The R&A suits would go puce and start muttering about it all going wrong after we gave up India.

They probably did that when The Act of Union was signed! :whistle:

Last edited:

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree, it's at St Andrews far too often.
Also these links courses all look a bit samey to me, there's just not enough trees and far too many bunkers.
I think the Open would be far more of a spectacle if they Hosted it somewhere like the Belfry.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree, it's at St Andrews far too often.
Also these links courses all look a bit samey to me, there's just not enough trees and far too many bunkers.
I think the Open would be far more of a spectacle if they Hosted it somewhere like the Belfry.

i wouldn't say the belfry, but i do agree that sometimes the links courses aren't the most telegenic as the holes aren't framed by trees in the way they are at Augusta as an extreme example.

i thought Hoylake looked excellent though this week.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Please get this right.
St Andrews is not the home of golf.
There were many courses playing golf before St Andrews.

It has evolved to be the administer of golf but never has been the home.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its the home of golf and like cricket Lords is the home of Cricket and they always have a Test Match there every year , Every 5 years at St Andrews is what it is , Ask any pro golfer where would they like to win the open if they had a choice , St Andrews is the answer most would give and for us that play golf i feel every golfer should play it at least once just for that reason , I played in in 2005 , Would i like to play it again , yes maybe , I like to try the others and by the way Rory will win there next year , made for him , would have won last time but for his 80 on day 2 , that wont happen again as his head wont drop like that again .....................EYG

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Please get this right.
St Andrews is not the home of golf.
There were many courses playing golf before St Andrews.

It has evolved to be the administer of golf but never has been the home.

I think there is a distinct difference between "birth" and "home". You need not necessarily reside at your birthplace for instance - any historic location (including capital cities) also have this trait.
As I seem to remember, I think Leith was the first recorded links which golf first flourished (I could be wrong) but for all intents and purposes and for the sake of any further argument (and even if you google "home of golf") the Old Course at St. Andrews is the generally accepted "home" of golf which also happens to be the headquarters of the R&A too. It may not be the birthplace of golf and it may not be the prettiest or indeed the most challenging of all the courses on the Open rota, but it has more right to claim the title than anywhere else - if you can come up with a better reason as to why somewhere else should be the spiritual home of golf, then it would certainly be entertaining reading.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
St Andrews is the best Toon on the rota.

A magical place that takes on an even bigger magical feel during the Open week.

Walking about the town as competitors do the same,having a pint as competitors sit next to you or eating in a restaurant as they sit on the table next to you makes a St Andrews Open week as good as it gets.

I aint missed one since 84 and I'll not be missing it next year either. Kinkell Braes Caravan Park as per usual.

Magic week in a magical town.