Open talking points in this months mag

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Just got round to reading the latest GM and I was a little surprised by the 'Open talking points'. It seems every paper and media outlet was talking about the issue of women in golf, and this dominated the pre-tournament press conference. But according to GM the Open talking points were the fact that Jiminez is a bit old and still good, the golf writers had a dinner, Ken Duke went to a bookies, Todd Hamilton had a pint and Jimmy Mullen made the cut.

I totally take on board it has been covered a lot already, but as a leading golf mag in the UK I would personally liked to hear what GM thinks of the issue, what is their opinion? As like it or not, it was the major talking point of this years Open. The editor of Golf World addressed the topic very well in the latest issue and had an opinion. But if you read GM it would seem that apart from a quick joke about it by Radar, it never happened. :confused:

But on the up side, Gmac is looking hot in the photo on the subscribers addition. I think it's the eyes. I tells you, he had me questioning my 45 years of unblemished heterosexuality (copyright Martin Kelner for all you Fighting Talk fans).

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
we are a golf magazine, we like to focus on golf not politics. The discussion was done to death in the mainstream media and I'm happy for them to use up their column inches not talking about golf
Look back over the vast majority of comments on the forum wheenver the topic was raised and you'll see this wasnt a core issue for the majority of the golf monthly audience.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Banging that same old drum yet again. It probably didn't make the magazine as it was a non story peddled by people with jack all to do with golf trying to enhance their public standing.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I want to hear about golf, read about golf, watch golf, play golf and have a banter about golf.

Until someone changes the law, I'm not interested in Muifield's membership rules - their club, their choice.

And as for the media and politicians being moral compasses... lol.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Banging that same old drum yet again. It probably didn't make the magazine as it was a non story peddled by people with jack all to do with golf trying to enhance their public standing.

Watch it Birchy, you'll probably get accused of reading the Daily Mail.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was a non story, same as it was a Royal St George's a few years ago and will be next time the politicians want to gain a few brownie points with the voting public off the back of a sporting event.

TBH, I was sick of hearing journalists, politicians and sports people who never talk about golf normally jumping on the back of a very rickety bandwagon and I'm glad GM decided to ignore it.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
It seems every paper and media outlet was talking about the issue of women in golf, and this dominated the pre-tournament press conference

And you wanted more ? brute for punishment you are :)

But according to GM the Open talking points were the fact that Jiminez is a bit old and still good, the golf writers had a dinner, Ken Duke went to a bookies, Todd Hamilton had a pint and Jimmy Mullen made the cut.

Just snippits down the R/H side of a page

I totally take on board it has been covered a lot already, but as a leading golf mag in the UK I would personally liked to hear what GM thinks of the issue, what is their opinion?
Why ??

As like it or not, it was the major talking point of this years Open

For you maybe , personaly I thought the Golf was .. or should be , will Lee win or wont he , can someone shoot the lights out & steal it , wow Poults is on a run etc ..

The editor of Golf World addressed the topic very well in the latest issue and had an opinion.

But is their Forum any good :D:D Just kidding

).

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its the same as the Grand National, they only pop up and moan to have their 5 mins of fame. As Peter Dawson said to Hazel Irvine ... We have all women members clubs as well and no one is bringing them up (or words to that effect).

A

Alex1975

Its not a non story but it maybe that its not a story for a golf mag.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The story had nothing to do with The Open as an event, and not much to do with the course it was played on either (as women are allowed to play the course so I believe). The issue was that they are not allowed to join the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers.

But what has that got to do with anything? Girls can join the Scouts but can boys join the Guides? No. What about allowing men to join the Women's Institute? Men can attend but not join - so is that not the same thing? Nobody moans about that!

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
SIGH...

talking points in a golf mag about the GOLF... Shock and horror

Yes the women members thing is an issue but its not a golfing one, its one for the politcians to discuss and not one that needs constantly dragging up as the forefront reason in a golfing competition as it has no bearing on the outcome of the event but the golf strangely does have an impact on it! Weird that!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
It most definitely is an issue in golf. It's symptomatic of the endemic sexism throughout golf clubs the country over, which 50% of male forummers on here will think doesn't exist and another 49% will not give a damn about. Not holding my breath waiting for an article addressing that in GM.......

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You are correct - golf IS sexist. My club has a general committee (open to all) and ladies' committee. We also have 8 girls scholarships and 2 general scholarships (on of which was one by a lass who already had a girls' scholarship). I am all for equality but if you want to fight for it make sure you fight for equality, NOT women's rights.

davidg2010uk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How much does it cost to join muirfield? I'm guessing £10k and about 10 years on a waiting list as well as requiring a very good reference. I doubt there is a queue of ladies so desperate to see the inside of the clubhouse that they would be willing to pay this.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Just to clarify, my OP was questioning why the subject was not mentioned or commented on in the mag. Not if it is right or wrong, not the merits or not of it. I just that I found it strange that the subject that does influence the image of the game in a time of falling participation and membership and that dominated the build up to the event was not deemed to be about golf.

But Mike has answered and of course others have backed him up. I was not wanting to debate the rights and wrongs about it again. But was genuinely interested in what GM thought about it. If they would have said, as many on here seem to think, they thought it was a load of rubbish and did not harm the game in any way then that would have been fine.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are correct - golf IS sexist. My club has a general committee (open to all) and ladies' committee. We also have 8 girls scholarships and 2 general scholarships (on of which was one by a lass who already had a girls' scholarship). I am all for equality but if you want to fight for it make sure you fight for equality, NOT women's rights.

Thank you mr 50%