Open Final Qualifying

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I spent a nice couple of hours after work this evening watching the final qualifying at St Anne's Old links.
I saw some great golf as you'd expect and the course looked far better than I've ever seen it.

I've got to say I was really impressed with Barry Lane who I spent most of the time following, he came across as a really decent bloke, played with a smile on his face and very polite to everyone following.
He eventually qualified with Paul broadhurst and rafael Echiniqua.

It's got me looking forward to the Open, I've got my tickets for the Saturday.:thup:

And Paul Broadhurst really does look like Gordon Ramsey!

Last edited:

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think I am correct in saying that in the 5 years of Regional Qualifying nobody has managed to make it through from Regional at Goswick to the Open itself.

Shows you how tough it is at this end of the game.

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
Our pro was in the open final qualifying at southport, unfortunately he shot an 82 then 73 :(

Still did very well to get to the final, well done Ian ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our assistant pro shot 80 + 82 at Hillside. Dissapointed for him but a great experience. Pro's from Princes and Royal Cinque Ports down my way qualified so some local sucess

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I am correct in saying that in the 5 years of Regional Qualifying nobody has managed to make it through from Regional at Goswick to the Open itself.

Shows you how tough it is at this end of the game.

Without a doubt Dodger.
I must be a huge task for the average club pro or up and coming amatuer to come through the regional qualifying, then get through the pressure of today against good international pro's and experienced players like Barry Lane and Paul Broadhurst.

I see Chris Wood just missed out.
I havn't checked results at the other courses, but I wouldn't be surprised if The more experienced players came through there also.

Mary

Head Pro
Visit site
Chris Wood missed by 3 shots, and Nick Dougherty by 6.

My son shot 77, 73 at West Lancs - nowhere near the mark on a day when the professional course record was broken twice.

Was so pleased to see Ian Keenan qualify via the play-off at S&A. He plays at Royal Liverpool, and has battled through some tough times, but not given up. This photo of Ian with his son at the end of the play-off shows just how much it means.

Keeno Qualifying.jpg