One Plane Golf Swing

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, I'm a One Plane Swinger, it certainly feels right to me.
I started this journey about 7 years ago. It all started after reading "The Plane Truth" by Jim Hardy. It certainly was a light bulb moment.
I've watched loads of videos on YouTube that has increased my knowledge.
However, I've literally only realised in the last month that I have interpreted something wrong from Jim's book and this has made a massive difference.
He states that the "takeaway is to the inside", and whilst correct I was turning my shoulders too flat - there was no tilt.
After much research I now turn my shoulders steeper with some tilt. The shoulders have to turn at 90 degrees to the bent over spine. I'm now taking a nice divot and compressing the ball with a more penetrating flight.
The sensation is to take your address position, without a club, and then imagine someone standing behind on the target line. Now if they were to call your name, notice what happens with your shoulders as you turn to face them. The first move is that the lead shoulder actually goes down towards the ground then it turns to the right. This is the only way you can turn so that the shoulders turn at 90 degrees to a bent over spine.
This has made a massive difference as my arms now match my shoulder plane, whereas before my arms were underneath my shoulders and VERY flat.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
not many instructors (apart from the old ones) will even teach a 2 plane swing (to a new student) nowadays as it is so hard to time properly.

I have had lessons from 5 different pros over the last 9 years (due to moving about the country and moving clubs etc) and I don’t think a single one has taught me a “two plane swing”.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A coach who has some claim to be the 'hotest' on tour at the moment (Bradley hughes) doesn't like one plane. His view, which I may be over-simplifying, is that it's too hard to keep a club on plane for that long and that the only bit that matters is from hip high onwards on the downswing. He contends that it is easier to do this from off plane than on it.
Ymmv, but I don't think the multi plane swing is dead just yet...

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I'm a little confused now as to the difference between one plane and two plane.
In my own case I realised some while ago that I hit the ball better if I remember to swing back with the left shoulder going down under my chin and on the downswing with the right shoulder going under the chin.
Looking at videos about one plane, I see this is supposed to be the essence of it: but I thought it was the essence of all golf swings.
So, can anyone tell me examples of pros who swing 2 plane, and ones who swing one plane, so I can YouTube them to see the differences.
I saw some videos by Ged Walters about it, but his one plane seemed to be what I would call a usual good swing?
I've seen Mo Norman vids. I take it that's an extreme example of one plane.

efdeel

Visit site
In my own case I realised some while ago that I hit the ball better if I remember to swing back with the left shoulder going down under my chin and on the downswing with the right shoulder going under the chin.
Looking at videos about one plane, I see this is supposed to be the essence of it: but I thought it was the essence of all golf swings.
So, can anyone tell me examples of pros who swing 2 plane, and ones who swing one plane, so I can YouTube them to see the differences.
I saw some videos by Ged Walters about it, but his one plane seemed to be what I would call a usual good swing?

short answer :)
one plane: bryson dechambeau
two plane: rory mcilroy (and most other tour player)

just my personal opinion: learn Moe Norman swing is easier than Bryson Decambeau swing.

Last edited:

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Hope I don’t kick off too much ruction...but what is the difference between a “one” plane swing and a “single” plane swing?

“Single” means “one”...?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Bubba is an example of extreme two plane.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Hope I don’t kick off too much ruction...but what is the difference between a “one” plane swing and a “single” plane swing?

“Single” means “one”...?
It's just to distinguish the two. One Plane is generally accepted to mean the arms & shoulders are on the same plane at the top. Single Plane means what it says.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

One Plane Swing Hunter Mahan & Matt Kuchar

Two Plane Swing Ian Poulter & Fred Couples

Enjoy

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
One Plane Swing Hunter Mahan & Matt Kuchar

Two Plane Swing Ian Poulter & Fred Couples

Enjoy

Thank you everyone. BTW, Ive just come back from the range and tried it the way that GED Walters was showing. I hit well. Most shots came off. Most were straight and just as long if not a bit longer than previous occasions.
I will keep on this for a while. Proof of pudding will be next weeks competition 🙄

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thank you everyone. BTW, Ive just come back from the range and tried it the way that GED Walters was showing. I hit well. Most shots came off. Most were straight and just as long if not a bit longer than previous occasions.
I will keep on this for a while. Proof of pudding will be next weeks competition 🙄
Good luck with it. There are plenty of positives from a one plane. If you read the Jim Hardy book he discusses both a one and two plane swing in depth.