One Plane Golf Swing

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has anybody swopped over to the one plane golf swing and found it a big improvement ?

I have tried both and like the one plane principle and seems to keep me more connected and the downswing is less steep which was a big issue for me just lately

My direction is far better with a one plane swing so maybe it suits my swing

My hands are further away from my body at address but my arms are more connected, is that correct ?

Any good books or websites to read up on one plane swing ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
jim hardy is your man. he has two books ''the plane truth'' and ''plane truth master class''. they also have their own web site and forum called the plane truth. i have been using a one plane swing for about 6 months now with great results. longer clubs having the biggest difference. the book is hard reading and your going to have to see a one plane coach that used the same meathods or you'll get in a right mess. the web site has a list of one plane golf coaches. its not a quick fix but well worth it in the end

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine has been using this swing to great effect last season getting his hc down to 12. The last round I played with him I was not scoring well so thought I would try this swing,was surprised that out of the 6 tee shots I hit 5 were longer than I normally hit and more important all on the fairway.

Only had a chance for 9 holes twice but it seems to be working well. I find that as I'm not swinging so far on the backswing the transition down and through the ball seems to far easier.

I have looked at Mo Normans swing before and being impressed with his accuracy, also being in my late 50,s I looked at Allen Doyles swing which is also a one plane swing ,he is also accurate of the tee. These swings are not the best I have seen,even ugly ,but they seem to work well.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
A one plane swing has 2 planes.

A one plane swing is where the left arm approximately matches the plane of the shoulders, it still has 2 planes though.

A 2 plane swing is where the left arm goes above the plane of the shoulders, it also has 2 planes.

Stack and tilt is a one plane swing... in fact not many instructors (apart from the old ones) will even teach a 2 plane swing (to a new student) nowadays as it is so hard to time properly.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

A one plane swing is where the left arm approximately matches the plane of the shoulders, it still has 2 planes though.

A 2 plane swing is where the left arm goes above the plane of the shoulders, it also has 2 planes.

Stack and tilt is a one plane swing... in fact not many instructors (apart from the old ones) will even teach a 2 plane swing (to a new student) nowadays as it is so hard to time properly.

do you mean they are all going S&T or just one plane?

A

Alex1975

My pro gave me The Plane Truth to read and I picked one plane as it is natural to the way my body wants to move. I have the flex and strength required and really enjoy how aggressive you can be with it once you are in the correct place at the top.

I am making big strides with it but I believe that is not just because it fits me but because I am only learning one swing and not mixing and matching from one and two, a little focus.

I have struggled to translate it to my drive.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I will give the "one plane " swing a try over the winter and if my ball striking doesnt improve might go for Stack & Tilt lessons !

Seems like the left arm on the same line as the shoulders seems to flatten out my swing and today the results were better contact ( less fat ) and straight shots instead of my ugly pull

JustOne my lessons have always lead me along the 2 plane route and if i was younger and more flexible it may of suited me, the more connected one plane has less parts to get the timing right so impact etc has improved

Time will tell

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
getting on plane is something i am going to seriously look at soon. at the minute i am scrambling round from the tee box. its hard work at times !! LOL

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
do you mean they are all going S&T or just one plane?

A one plane action with the left arm much closer to a more tilted shoulder plane.

S&T has it's own variations that make it S&T

The Plane Truth has it's own variations that make it The Plane Truth

... both will have the same elements, as will all the other one plane 'styles'.

Last edited:

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I first started I had a load of lessons and to be fair they were good and I developed to a decent standard but it was definitely 2plane and throughout last season I found I developed the usual flaws and faults with it. Tried lessons to rectify but they seemed to mask the issues and inconsistency remained.

Started then in October looking at S&T and while my mid and short iron play was better the longer clubs and driving suffered. So after much looking into one plane and other methods I came across something called The Rotary Golf Swing, did a lot of looking into it and watching videos and thought "yes this is it for me I can relate to it" So just before Xmas I took the plunge and following the advice word for word and using the online tools and swing coach feed back I've committed 100% to it.

So started rebuilding from scratch literally, and though i only managed the one game over Xmas at my dads course as all my time has been on the range working through the drills i have to say that one round was the best I've consistently struck the ball over 18 holes. It's also allowed me to know if I hit a bad shot where in the swing I fell down. Rebuild is still in progress but even so on the range my ball flight and control is better, so is shot dispersion to target, as welll as being a bit longer.

So im sold and I'm now focused on this one technique The Rotary Swing is for me. But back to the OP if its One Plane, 2 Plane, S&T or whatever method you choose, if it feels right for you and allows you to eat better enjoyment and more consistency then stick with it no matter anyone else's opinion of the method.

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Homer is a 1-plane swing man (I think), might be worth asking him about it. You could also try googling "The Plane Truth", you should ind a lot of info. We have our first 4BBB on Feb 17th so I'm expecting big things.

Me personally, i think I have a 4 plane swing.

A

Alex1975

Alex, what swing faults did you have before you changed and why are you struggling with the driver ?

I really always have been a one plane swinger this is about going down that path in a full and disciplined way. I really recommend The Plane Truth to you as it will fully answer all the questions you have. It will tell you about the one and two planes and all it requests is that you commit to one of them.

All James is doing is pointing out that S&T happens to have one plane ( both the arms and shoulders are on the same plane ). One is not a lead up to the other, they just share this in common.

Ben Hogan was swinging on one plane a very long time before S&T!

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
When I first started I had a load of lessons and to be fair they were good and I developed to a decent standard but it was definitely 2plane and throughout last season I found I developed the usual flaws and faults with it. Tried lessons to rectify but they seemed to mask the issues and inconsistency remained.

Started then in October looking at S&T and while my mid and short iron play was better the longer clubs and driving suffered. So after much looking into one plane and other methods I came across something called The Rotary Golf Swing, did a lot of looking into it and watching videos and thought "yes this is it for me I can relate to it" So just before Xmas I took the plunge and following the advice word for word and using the online tools and swing coach feed back I've committed 100% to it.

So started rebuilding from scratch literally, and though i only managed the one game over Xmas at my dads course as all my time has been on the range working through the drills i have to say that one round was the best I've consistently struck the ball over 18 holes. It's also allowed me to know if I hit a bad shot where in the swing I fell down. Rebuild is still in progress but even so on the range my ball flight and control is better, so is shot dispersion to target, as welll as being a bit longer.

So im sold and I'm now focused on this one technique The Rotary Swing is for me. But back to the OP if its One Plane, 2 Plane, S&T or whatever method you choose, if it feels right for you and allows you to eat better enjoyment and more consistency then stick with it no matter anyone else's opinion of the method.

Yeh, good post that one Fader.

My swing is a hybrid of S&T and The Rotary swing. (I'd recommend it to anyone)

I don't have as much inward handpath as prescribed in S&T, or tuck my butt under, or hold off the club as much as prescribed. I feel like I swing more left with the grip using pivot power whilst my arms, wrists and hands remain fairly passive.

If you watch the swings at the end of the vid the average person would be hard pushed to see the difference between this and S&T (apart from the 'McIroy' overrun of the club in the follow thru)

[video=youtube;KUrKVO7Y2mU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUrKVO7Y2mU[/video]

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Big fan of the one plane. Started seeing my teaching pro in December 2011 so just about a year. He wanted to simplify everything and said about the one plane. Had never heard of it and it looked alien to how I was swinging. What a difference. 14-10 last year and only the short game holding me back. I hit it much better last season as I think my regular partner (Hawkeye) would testify.

I'm still going through a transition to get it better and it is still a work in progress and I'm struggling in as much as I haven't had the chance to get out and play as the course has been down to 9 holes and I've been doing other things. I understand my swing much better and it has less moving parts. I love the Jim Hardy website and have access via my pro to a lot of specific videos and drills which really help.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
.........my lessons have always lead me along the 2 plane route and if i was younger and more flexible it may of suited me.....

I'm surprised that no-ones commented on this bit - but maybe I have it wrong (again)...

I was under the impression that the one plane route put more requirements on core strength and flexibility etc, not less...?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm surprised that no-ones commented on this bit - but maybe I have it wrong (again)...

I was under the impression that the one plane route put more requirements on core strength and flexibility etc, not less...?

I agree and it mirrors what my pro says. Two plane does put less stress on the body in terms of flexibility. I have the problem that my hips were turning too much and so it hasn't been an issue on my one plane journey

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

The 2-plane is an arm swing that (ironically) puts more strain on the body as you have to power the arms. I would say that you need 'free movement' for the one-plane swing though.. which most people have unless they carry a heavy injury... in which case I'd suggest S&T as you can do it (somewhat) even if very limited.