One day like Tiger, the next like a Pussy Cat!

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Hi all,

Oh what a frustrating game we play.

Was hitting the ball like a decent player yesterday, went to the range after an easy, stress-free day at work and was always close to the targets at the range from 150 in, hitting the 200yd mound (like a green) consistently and driving like a man posessed. All was well in the golfing world of MWJ and left the range feeling as happy as a dog with a juicy new bone.

Today, same as yesterday, I go down to the range after a taxing day at work and was tired (Olivia was a little git last night) and I hit the ball like a rank hacker. Target practise was woeful, mid irons were passable but the short-stuff was being duffed horendously and I drove like a blindfolded chimpanzee wielding a bamboo cane.

The lads reckon I have too much going on im my brain sometimes and I am inclined to agree. Does anyone have any tips to help switch off (excluding drink) when at the range/course as it is getting on my spuds.

Any help appreciated fellow forumers.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
there was an interview with choi and he said to relieve the stress he would sing hymns in his head between shots.

You might want to put your favorite tracks on your car stereo on the way to the range to try and get you in a better mood and sing it (to your self) while on the tee to see if it lightens your mood and keeps negative thoughts out your head.

Either that or get a mental picture of who is giving you a hard time in work and put the picture on the ball and smack the brown stuff out it. :D

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Was hitting the ball like a decent player yesterday, went to the range after an easy, stress-free day at work and was always close to the targets at the range from 150 in, hitting the 200yd mound (like a green) consistently and driving like a man posessed. All was well in the golfing world of MWJ and left the range feeling as happy as a dog with a juicy new bone.

Today, same as yesterday, I go down to the range after a taxing day at work and was tired (Olivia was a little git last night) and I hit the ball like a rank hacker. Target practise was woeful, mid irons were passable but the short-stuff was being duffed horendously and I drove like a blindfolded chimpanzee wielding a bamboo cane.

The lads reckon I have too much going on im my brain sometimes and I am inclined to agree. Does anyone have any tips to help switch off (excluding drink) when at the range/course as it is getting on my spuds.

I know what you mean jon, im the same on the course one weekend im dropping putts like there hot, the next week im 3 putting.

Anyway down the range if your having a particular mare of a session. i think, leave the drivers wedge shots etc. Just get a 6 or 7 iron out of the bag and focus on making good contact with the ball. if your having a poor practice theres no point continuing because this can be mentally damaging for your next round etc. like i say make good contact with the ball forget the distance if its 10 yrds shorter than normal it dont matter. Just let yourself know that your hitting the ball crisp. even if your doing little half swings. its something to concentrate and focus on for the session. then next time you play or practice you will have a better feel for good contact. sometimes the little things in life and basic principles in golf are the key to good practice.

Failing that you could just practice your alignment and feeling comfortable go through your pre shot routine and tweek it up to make it simple and easy to re enact on the course.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
MWJ
Try not to stress. I find the range is a great place to feel bad. think about when you can next get on the course and play real golf. It will all feel different then.
AliB

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Two of the the things that I have got to master are - 1) disengage brain. 2) Tell my playing partners to shut the **** up.

Been playing reasonably well recently and Sunday morning (millionaire's golf again) I was 3 over gross for the first 8 holes. Partner, bless him, said... "you've got a good round going here, a bogie 5 will give you a sub 40 for 9 holes".

Bast**d!

No probs I thought. Aim out to left hand side of fairway to give a sight of the green, nice easy swing, 7 wood to front edge, chip and no more than 2 puts. Yeh. You've guessed it.

Pulled 2 tee shots right OB. Salvaged a 9 though!

From 3 over after 8, ended up 24 over for 18. NOT a happy bunny.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
tried the mp3 last time at the range. I have a real mixture loaded, none of your soothing stuff for me - found I was hitting best to old Blondie tracks!

the one annoying thing about this was keeping the plugs in - what do you use?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like the idea of music in the car. Personally I find music (either an MP3 while I'm playing or humming tunes) way too distracting. I like to have a bit of discipline (£10 fine at the GM golf weekend for any Graham Norton esque comments) when I work on the range.

If it is going well I go with the flow and focus on what I'm working on and what I'm trying to acheive. However and I agree wholeheartedly with the comment about distance etc, if I am swinging like a geriatric octopus on speed, I forget about distance (and to some extent targets) and just make sure I take smooth 3/4 swings and work on strike only.

We've had the discussion about distances with range balls as well. I can't hit the 150 yard marker at my range with a smooth 6 iron. This means a) the marker is at the wrong spot b) the balls are crap or c) I'm crap.

I know that only my course from the 150 marker a smooth 6 iron gets mw onto the centre of the green every time. Don't get hung up on how far you are hitting it, just try and be accurate.

Most importantly though even if your little girl is giving you hell, you are luckier than some to be able to still get to the range so enjoy it even if it isn't going so well

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had this problem monday. Last week i played really really well and couldnt wait to get back out. Had really bad sesion on the range in the morning and an even worse round in the afternoon. It was all in the head.

Thing i find is if i rush home from a bad day at work and go straight to the range, i feel like i havnt disconnected from all the stress. Best thing to do is do something that will relax you. Be it sit down and watch tv for 15 mins. Have a laugh and joke with the mrs, play some xbox or just read a paper, what ever gets you out of the frame of mind you were in.