One-club challenge?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably 7 iron for me.

Three things
Bunker play
hitting shots over bunkers
A 7 iron would not reach a lot of our fairways and a 7 iron out of the rough sounds reasonable.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
7 iron for me also.

Definitely want to try a whole round with one club, reckon it would go better than most expect.

Talking about hybrids out of bunkers, I saw a story on Instagram the other day and someone was using a putter and driver out of a bunker with great results.
I used to do this at my old club.
The sand went right up to the lip.
But on bunkers where there is a vertical lip after the sand has stopped it dosnt work.
It’s a great shot if you can master it, especially in winter when the sand is hard and compact.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably 7 iron for me.

Three things
Bunker play
hitting shots over bunkers
A 7 iron would not reach a lot of our fairways and a 7 iron out of the rough sounds reasonable.
They would need to push the tees up to say 100yds from the fairway .
Can’t imagine 150+ divots off the main tees if everyone hit 7iron

D

Deleted member 1147

7 Iron, I hit virtually every green in reg with it, and it won't be too long on shorter shots

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
7 iron for me, even our longest par 5 would be reachable in 3 shots. Most of our par 4’s would just be 2 full shots. Curious now to see what I would score doing this.

D

Deleted member 3432

I'd be staying at home and doing something more constructive with my time.

D

Deleted member 3432

Don't be such a grump! Golf is meant to be fun, this would definitely be a fun experiment in my eyes.

Might be OK on a pitch and putt with the little lad.....

Not being grumpy but golfing time is too precious to waste going round with one club.

Would be quite happy playing 18 with a vintage set, that would be fun.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
I play with a single club quite often, it's a brilliant exercise to get me back on track when my game has gone a bit south generally.

Usually play with either a 6 or 8 iron though my scores aren't all that different since most of our par 4s are just outside two-shot range for my 6. The 8 is heaps easier for a third go at the green and I don't find it any harder to putt with.

bm

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
7 iron is a versatile club. Enough loft to use as a short game club and can still get you out to the fairway. Makes the most sense for this sort of thing

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A lot of people suggesting a 7 iron but the lofts on 7 irons vary so much these days, there could be three clubs worth of loft difference just between clubs currently on the market.

I payed 4 holes with just a hickory 2 iron this year and was 5 over par.