One-club challenge?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Quick question - what club would you use if you were to tackle your home course with just one cub, what would it be? And why?

This is purely on the back of playing the 16th at Moortown yesterday and just using a 6-iron and making a birdie for the first time in around 100 attempts. And also because 90 per cent of my chips are played with a 6-iron and also because I'm terrified of my 5-iron (shank) and also because I'm an idiot

I then played the 3rd with just a putter, which I quite liked, but I very nearly found sand by the green which would have been less good

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quick question - what club would you use if you were to tackle your home course with just one cub, what would it be? And why?

This is purely on the back of playing the 16th at Moortown yesterday and just using a 6-iron and making a birdie for the first time in around 100 attempts. And also because 90 per cent of my chips are played with a 6-iron and also because I'm terrified of my 5-iron (shank) and also because I'm an idiot

I then played the 3rd with just a putter, which I quite liked, but I very nearly found sand by the green which would have been less good
Playing full shots with a putter is not recommended you can lose the head as it’s not designed for that.
Prob 7 iron for me .
As you say you must avoid the bunkers.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
7 iron I'd say

Punch that off the tee

Full approach shots

Try open it a bit if did end up in bunker

Putting would be hard but manageable

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think almost everyone would pick a 6 or 7 depending on how far you hit it..
I'd go 6 iron as well
I'd need to adjust things for our 2 shorter par 3s but would be able to get to the green on the others.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think id also take the classic 7 iron.

Decent distance but also easy to play a few different shots with.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really dependant on course at all but I'd have to say 8 iron for the balance of a) being able to hit it consistently well, b) giving you a chance out of bunkers, for chipping, pitching etc - covering all bases. Probably around five of our par 4s are short enough that I'd still be able to reach in two, in summer. I'd be able to reach three of the par 3s in one (including the temporary par 3 we have at the moment) and the other three I'd be short and chipping on. On both of the par 5s I think I'd be just short of the green after three 8 irons and just chipping on there as well. Maybe I'd go 7 iron for that reason actually - I think if I went in a bunker I'd be dead either way. :LOL:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had a five club challenge on Wednesday and I chose my clubs according to the par 3 yardages, only to find that we were on winter tees and the yardages were a lot shorter!
Personally for a one club challenge I would use my 150 yard club.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
7 iron for me also.

Definitely want to try a whole round with one club, reckon it would go better than most expect.

Talking about hybrids out of bunkers, I saw a story on Instagram the other day and someone was using a putter and driver out of a bunker with great results.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably a 5 hybrid for me, full shots off the tee, little punchy shots, stabby chips, would be decent for putting as well maybe. Anything that needs a flop or high chip, I'd probably have to play around it ?