On The Clock - How Does It Work?

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
When a group is put 'on the clock' each player has 40 seconds (60 seconds in specific circumstances) but when does that time start?

Is it when the reach the ball, when they address the ball or when it's their turn to play?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is taken from England Golf's document and is consistent with the R&A's advice at a recent seminar on the subject.

e) Time Allowed for a Stroke
i. The first player to play in the group is allowed 50 seconds. Subsequent players are allowed 40 seconds.
ii The time will start when the player has had sufficient time to reach his ball, it is his turn to play and he is able to play without interference or distraction.
iii. The time allowed includes any yardage assessment, any walking forwards or backwards and any pre-shot routine, including practice swings.
iv. On the putting green, timing will start when the player has had a reasonable amount of time to lift, clean and replace his ball, repair pitch marks and move loose impediments on his line of putt. Time spent looking at the line from beyond the hole and / or behind the ball is included in the time allowed for the stroke.

See this R&A videohttp://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Pace-of-Play.aspx

Last edited:

Mary

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't forget that they use a faster ticking clock if you're a 14 year old playing in the The Masters.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't forget that they use a faster ticking clock if you're a 14 year old playing in the The Masters.

I don't get where people are making a fuss about this. He would not have been penalised without getting several warnings. It just doesn't happen to more experienced players because they know how to do the bare minimum to stay within the time limits.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I heard one of the commentators at the Open say a few minutes ago that there was a game on the clock - didn't catch who it was.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
One involving a Japanese player and Johnson Wagner, who is just being interviewed and wasn't happy that his FC, whose card he was marking was penalised, refused initially to sign his card as he thought he got a raw deal.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I heard one of the commentators at the Open say a few minutes ago that there was a game on the clock - didn't catch who it was.

I believe there were 3 games on the clock at various stages, including woods, westwood, jimenez, stenson, wagner and Matsuyama

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wagner said that he thought that he was a quick player and that Matsuyama had got a raw deal because of the position he was in for the shot for which he was penalised. He also said twice that they were well in front of the following group. The commentators got it right when they said that they should keep up with the group in front, not keep in front of the group behind. At their level. with ball spotters, there is absolutely no reason why they should lose that amount of time against the group in front.

IMO of course

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Paramor has been warning the players for months that they would be taking PoP seriously.

Do you think there is a shift taking place to be more active about PoP or are we just hearing more about it?

In a totally irrelevant aside, when I refereed my club's junior championship this year, there was only one Pace of Play issue ....... that was for the referee to keep up with a pair of teenagers galloping round 36 holes at an impressive lick. :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you think there is a shift taking place to be more active about PoP or are we just hearing more about it?

Certainly Paramor and Mcfee are making plenty of noise (they have issued a video to the European Tour players) and the R&A are pushing it.

Although the USGA made a big fuss on their website before the USGA Open, they got egg on their faces when actual times were nearly 6 hours and they said the website PR was really about non-pro golfers. !!!!!:confused::eek: